NC Angler Forums banner

Hardcore Invitational Yakfishing tourney

Lake 
21K views 197 replies 31 participants last post by  yak4fish 
#1 ·

http://www.hardcorekayakfishing.com/index.php?pr=2009_Fall_Hardcore_Invitational
Follow the link for all info---- rules, maps, sponsors, "the works".

Just a "warning shot" post to let everyone know and start throwing out any input on it to help me sharpen it up.
We are going to put together a 20-25 man tourney to raise money for the Mt. Island Wildlife Stewards. Shooting for 1st half of October. Plan on entry being $25-$30 and if all goes well will have 2 each year. (spring and fall)
It will be a true invitational and probably 1/2 the entrants will be affiliated with the team. Including myself. I`m not putting one on and not fish! Judging will be done by someone unafilliated with the team and all entries will be viewable by all entrants. Alot of the rest will be from NCangler. Invites will be going to previous winners/placers of other tourneys but may be tough on "out of towners" cause the Hardcore tourney launches with a shotgun start at dawn. I`m thinking of you decorated guys (Jeffonc, Erayyak, Skooteri, yak4fish, druminator, fishjunky, etc. ) And will be begging the sponsored guys to help with any "schwag" they can. Will be an invitation to anyone on the Great Outdoors team as well. I hope to have one "media entry" and hope it will be from N.C. Sportsman. Due to being our 1st tourney and location limitations we want to limit entries to guarantee a quality tourney and not overload the area.
This will be the FIRST kayakfishing tourney in Charlotte that I know of and of course the 1st invitational. Will be on north end of Lake Wylie tentatively near MT. Holly. Will be a CPR format with only 1 minor tweak. Artificials only. 5 fish limit allowed but only 1 fish per inch. Meaning if you catch 5 bass all measuring 12 to 13 inches----- tough luck. Only 1 will count. Judging will be by a Non-Hardcore entity and all will be viewable by any entrants. Identifiers will be given out at launch (each will be unique) and each entrant will bring their own "golden rule".
ALL, 100% of the the proceeds will go to the Wildlife Stewards to help with their projects. If nothing else we owe them for the 100 fish attractors put in Mt. Island. I`d wish everyone (like myself) thought this was a worthy enough cause to join in regardless of prizes but that may not be the case for everyone. There WILL be prizes. I don`t think for a tourney this size it will be a yak from a sponsor. I will be doing all I can to get some donated and if I`m not happy with it I am going to give away my Dagger bayou tandem. Don has already said he`d donate a $100 St. Croix rod as well. I plan on having Captains bags and will be asking everyone I can think of to donate for that. I`m sure I`ll get a bunch of stickers, (we`are making a vinyl sticker just for the tourney) coupons,who knows what all. Kayak angler will probably be the official media sponsor and will throw in some back issue mags as well as coverage after the event. Will be talking to our shirt printer and hopefully be able to have one for everybody.
I have a million more ideas/points from the organizer end but just want to get the ball rolling. The invitational is not to exclude anybody just to keep a limit on it as well as ensuring quality entrants and area representation. There will be (I hope- Sponsored anglers, tournament winners, multiple yakkers with over 10 yrs, people from the local media, anglers from the NCWF, and one or two special regional paddlers- and some newer paddlers with a Hardcore attitude) Anyone wishing to be involved just let me know.
I will keep everyone posted and all details will be on www.hardcorekayakfishing.com as well as all winner photos afterwards.
Anyone wishing to post a "letter of intent" please feel free to say so since I haven`t made the official list yet don`t think I`ll have any trouble hitting our limit.-----------------------------------stu

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes you certainly "qualify". Just by virtue of your interest. I have had such a positive experience here on NCangler that anyone from here is welcome. Don`t put too much creedence in the Invitational aspect.
It is mainly a way to keep it a workable number. Sure if we`re organizing it we can put any cap on it we desire but the invitational feels better to me. As with any event I can`t control who will come. To my knowledge this will be the 1st tournament where people who have won or placed in other events will be contacted and asked to enter. Also people from other teams, sponsored anglers, some anglers who are involved in the local and state media, as well as one or 2 from the N.C. Wildlife Federation. I don`t want to exclude anyone but I do want anyone involved to be proud to say "I wasn`t just there, I was invited ! and I fished against a tough field and met alot of cool people for a good cause."
I`ve already spoken to Sam from the Great Outdoors Fishing team and he is excited to have a chance to do something local. Also will be requesting sponsorship from them.
Have a set date in a day or 2. Will take any input on that--1st or 2nd Saturday in October. Launching at dawn will not change. It`s just the Hardcore way.

#4 ·
Definitely interested.

2 thoughts: Anybody "smart" enough to want to get up at 4:30 am and fish in a tourney is "smart" enough to want to pay for the privelege, so why not charge $50? Especially if the $$ is going to a cause we can support.

Phillip would probably know more about this; how about kayakbassfishing.com as a sponsor, media entrant?

Still a bit fuzzy on the scoring rules, but there is plenty of time to address that.

Sign me as honored to be thought of as "decorated"

#6 ·
Scott took most of the words right out of my mouth...
Definitely interested.
Ditto!

why not charge $50?
You had me at $25-30:)... (If I can beat the calendar I'll be there, regardless of entry fee)

Still a bit fuzzy on the scoring rules, but there is plenty of time to address that.
Yeah... the 25lb bag of 5 x 25inch bass I'm imagining is only worth 25 inches and I lose to a 2-fish, 12"+14" dink stringer. I guess I'll have to come up with a new strategy to catch smaller fish (Luckily I have plenty of experience with that strategy).

Sign me as honored to be thought of as "decorated"
Indeed - who'd have thought that a 15.5in Lake Brandt LM would have carried me to such heights!

One of the incomplete items on my 2009 goals is fishing with Team Hardcore in Hardcore waters. This would be a great way to check that one off. Will start working on my calendar now.

#5 ·
The fee is still undecided. Of course the more we raise the better. Times are tough on some folks and I`d hate for the entry fee to be deal breaker. I don`t know what kind of prizes i`m gonna have yet and if people are gonna come off the hip for $50 I`d like them to have a shot at some good stuff.
It`s the "chicken or the egg" conundrum in doing something like this. People love to sponsor BIG tourneys and we already know it`s gonna be limited so a little harder to get them to pony up. Likewise harder to get people to enter without already having the prizes lined up.
Kayakbassfishing is on my list for contacting.
Points will be 1 per inch. 5 fish limit. 2 fish under 12 in allowed. Rest must be over 12 in. Only 1 scoring fish per inch of ruler. This will eliminate any 5 fish limits where 2 or more of the fish just "happen" to be the same length and look eerily similar. If you get my drift. If you catch a fish that falls between 12-13 in. every other fish will have to be outside that range. A 12 1/4 inch fish or a 12 3/4 inch fish will both be scored 12 points.
I would consider cutting this back to every 1/2 inch if some people thought it would be better.
I think allowing a limit rather than just having it a big bass tourney is the way to go.

#7 ·
It would be a heartbreaker to catch 2 big bass of the same size.
I`m doing it to raise the money and that`s why we`re talking it over now. Anything can be changed at this point. I want whatever is gonna make the most participants happy.

I just think a big fish tourney is too much about "swinging for the fence" for that one big fish instead of fishing for a limit.
Having a fish per inch is the only way I can think of to be sure a fish doesn`t multiply itself into 2. I want there to be no controversy on scoring or impropriety. The identifier will be unique to each contestant. NOBODY will know before tourney day and it will be done when signing up so no one will have any control over which they draw.

#9 ·
Having a fish per inch is the only way I can think of to be sure a fish doesn`t multiply itself into 2. I want there to be no controversy on scoring or impropriety. The identifier will be unique to each contestant. NOBODY will know before tourney day and it will be done when signing up so no one will have any control over which they draw.
Now we just have to think of better ways to stretch the fish! :eek:

#11 ·
Stu, count me in. Any way I can help I will. This sounds like a great opportunity for any local outdoor, bait/ tackle shops and even eateries to get their name out there with a small sponsorship. I can only see good things to come from an event like this. Plus we get to fish!

#13 ·
Haven`t heard alot of preference on the date. 1st or second saturday in October. Had a few votes for the 1st weekend so far.
Ghost, you need a ruler. I have one tucked beside the seat in my most used yak. It`s cool and shiny and I never use it.
Fishjunky has a rod for the winning. I think we can have a good tourney and everybody have a good time and take something home. Each angler can turn in their identifier after for drawings if we have enough stuff beyond good prizes for the TOP 3 anglers. 1st year of an event is the toughest so any help will be awesome.
I only have 2 generic goals for it to be a success--
1-a raise money for the Mt.Island Wildlife Stewards.
2- have a tournament that every entrant wants to enter again.
That`s a start.
Thanks for the input so far, and interest.
There will be a trophy! (shouldn`t every tournament have one?)
I`m checking into a special presenter.
Everything will be finalized in a couple days and webpages as well as here. It`s amazing the way we can all connect on NCangler for free.
Thanks to Randy and all the mods for making it possible !
I guess the official announcement will belong in the tournament section? or sponsor angler ?

#18 ·
Good idea and certainly if you need any help let me know. Honored to be considered.

There was an event being held at Kitty Hawk in October, I thought. Is that still on? I had committed to that thinking it was early in that month. Anyone have any idea if they are still holding that one.

Whether or not I can attend depends on three things. One, if I have my girls that weekend, two am I attending Wolfpack football games and three am I doing an event for Wilderness Systems. My guess is October will be a tough month for me. But as I learned when I ran my tournament series over the years, I scheduled when the schedule worked for me....as I was running it. Certainly you want a good turnout, but you can never find a weekend that works for everyone.

#19 ·
Stu let me know what you are looking for from sponsers i might be able to help you out I happen to know a few that might be interested wiwth swag or $$ maybe even some tackle i can shake some bushes I can even donate some froggy waters t's even if i don't make the turney send me a pm if you get a chance

#20 ·
The tourney machine is certainly rolling, too late to stop now!
The response from anglers has already been phenomenal. If the sponsors turn out to be 1/2 as good this is really gonna rock!
But none of us should be surprised that kayak anglers are such cool folk.
Emails are flying, forms to fill out, etc.
Asked about a possible launch change this a.m. (still on North end of Lake Wylie) but closer to the Whitewater Center. Be cool afterwards to paddle over and have lunch. They should still be open 1st weekend in Oct. and for you out-of -towners it`s really an amazing thing to see the course.
Thanks for the offer froggy. I want to make sure everybody takes a good captains bag home just for participating and anything will be welcome.

#21 ·
Stu, any Captain's meeting? Or just meeting up at the weigh-in? Also, what's the weigh-in time? Not settled yet? I hope for a 5 fish weigh-in we'll have plenty of time. ;-)

Either way, lookin' forward to my first Charlotte fishing adventure!

#22 ·
I`ll have the pages with all the details on the site soon.
The captains meeting would be tough on any out of towners and not really needed. Registering will be quick and just prior to launch. Sign up, waiver, draw your identifier and we`re off.
Part of the reason for putting it out here before it`s all set in stone is for input. This should be the 1st tourney where anglers helped decide what it would be instead of a few people at a shop.
My personal idea for time would be dawn until 12:00 noon. Gotta check on sunrise time for the days.

I don`t see any need to divide into fly or conventional divisions. Any long rodders can use them.
I don`t have a plan yet in case anyone should want to "weigh in early". Have 2 guys that will make good computer guru`s but don`t want them to have to be back early if they don`t want too. I plan on being out until the bitter end. There will be a penalty for being late.

#23 ·
Hey Stu, just had a talk with some manages at Robert Bosch where I work and they are looking into getting some things together to donate for the cause. All of them were happy to try and help out. Will keep you informed on this as soon as I hear something back from them. You got my number if you need to call about anything. If it keeps going like this you may need to up the invites.

#24 ·
I hear ya Jim! Good deal.
Guess it wouldbe a good time to put up a link to the overall cause
www.ncwf.org That is the state level site. The Mt. Island Wildlife Stewards is just the local chapter and all money will stay at the local level. Unlike the kayakathon where the money was for the state. These people are the watchdogs for everything outdoorsman believe in but don`t take the time to keep up on what our lawmakers and businesses are up too.
The actual number of participants is a tough call because we want to raise as much as possible BUT we want to keep it quality too. Still several launch sites being considered. 1 isn`t open until I think 7. Some have more room than others. 1 has a $2 a head launch fee that I told them we`d rightfully pay and was told "some"would be donated back. Want to make sure we`ve got room for everybody on land and not overcrowd the water either. I don`t figure people can be TOO happy if the prizes and bags are awesome.
Because of the identifier we`ll be using we can collect them up and draw for stuff afterwards if we want.
Some of the tournaments now are multi-launch location out of necessity. That takes some of the fun out of it to me. I like to have everybody together. I like the feeling of a shotgun launch, with paddles flying and people taking off in all directions. There will be a playing of the Star Spangled banner (complete with distortion for that Hardcore feel) prior to launch and since we paddle with 2 ordained ministers now (yakrat and arkansas) a blessing of the fleet should be no problem.

#25 ·
I would really like to be part of this my guess is you take photo's of the fish on the golden rule with the qualifier in hand to qualify the fish so how ever many fish you catch like a normal turney you just cull the pics largest average wins you just need a spread on the size so if you hit a school of feeding bass 16 " you need to move to find some more that vary to have them qualify .. I would pay the $$ fifty intro fee also just need the day to check my schedule

#27 ·
I would really like to be part of this my guess is you take photo's of the fish on the golden rule with the qualifier in hand to qualify the fish so how ever many fish you catch like a normal turney you just cull the pics largest average wins you just need a spread on the size so if you hit a school of feeding bass 16 " you need to move to find some more that vary to have them qualify .. I would pay the $$ fifty intro fee also just need the day to check my schedule
If I hit a school of feeding 16in bass I`m fishing til I run out of takers ! Then I`ll go back to worrying about the tourney.

#26 ·
You got the idea of a CPR (catch,photo, release tourney all figured out.) It`s that simple. Everyone brings a (hopefully) clean mem. card.
1st pic is of you prior to launch.
2nd of your kayak.
Fish pictures after that. Uploaded to a laptop and judged. Everyone will be able to look at the winning entries and will be posted here and on our site.
To save time not every anglers entries will be uploaded/judged if not near contention. If you check in 20th and we already have 3 places judged and the lowest is 30 inches, you will be asked what you have. If you are only turning in 1 fish at 15 inches then no point in judging it.

Still looking like the 1st saturday will be it and I hope everyone knows it breaks my heart that it`s just not gonna be the right day for everyone. hopefully though this can become an annual thing and everyone can compete another day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.