Attaching Rod Holders In Jon Boat

Thread: Attaching Rod Holders In Jon Boat

Question Attaching Rod Holders In Jon Boat

Ok, I'm a boating newbie. I just bought my very first boat and am looking to set it up a little so I can do some fishing with my wife. The boat is a 12' Tracker Topper jon boat. I've done some research and think I've settled on the Driftmaster rod holders, but can't seem to figure out how most people mount them and other things to the boat. It seems most people say not to drill holes in the boat, so Im not sure what I can do.

Driftmaster has a universal clamp available that I could use, but they also have other bases that attach to the boat with screws that may hold better. Does anyone have any recommendation for installing the Driftmaster rod holders in an aluminum Jon boat?

Here are the ones I'm thinking about:
    http://www.driftmaster.com/bases.html
    Clamp mount: PRO-208B
    Top inside edge mount: PRO-203B

Does anyone else have any other rod holder recommendations instead of the Driftmaster ones?

Thanks for any help!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Default Re: Attaching Rod Holders In Jon Boat

Back in my jon boat days I mounted driftmasters to the rounded edge of my jon boat using a special driftmaster base that was made to fit on the rounded surface.

I attached the bases by drilling holes into the rail, tapping (threading the hole) and installed Machine screws. Drilling to mount rod holders shouldnt hurt anything.
    lcottrell likes this.

Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

I've got about a dozen holes drilled in my Jon Boat... I have rod holders and a paddle holder mounted to the side, and I put wood reinforcement for mounting a transom mount trolling motor in the front.

Of course, mine is a 1970 vintage boat, not something new. And all the holes are well above the water line. But I figure if I mount something with bolts, with the nut on the outside, and seal the hole with marine grade silicon caulk, I'm not going to have any problems.

I should also mention that there WERE already some holes drilled in the boat, from a poorly constructed fishing deck and rod holder the last owner built out of cheap plywood, but that was rotting away, and I needed to fill those holes as well.
    lcottrell likes this.

After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

This may sound simple, but i used regular pvc pipe, attached to plywood. My boat is not new.
    lcottrell likes this.

A few holes on the top of the rails or seats won't hurt anything. I've still use a jonboat I bought in1985. It has a lot
    of holes in the top railing and seats.

<*)))))>{
    lcottrell likes this.

Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

I'm looking into a few for my ride as well. I've seen plenty at wal-mart & overton's, etc... but which ones to buy?? There's so many different kinds. What kind do you guys have in your boats?? Probably just gonna put 2 off the back so i can do some trolling here & there.

Also... I'm looking for something to hold/store my rods in at home so they're not just sitting in the corner. I've seen some nice ones at bass pro shops. Any tips? Thanks a lot

an easy way for storage at home, if you have some wall space in your garage.....get a piece of 1x4 how ever long u want and screw it to the wall. get some velcro strips (one for each rod) and attach then to the board, then stand the rods up and use the velcro to keep them in place. keeps them standing up, flush up against the wall out of the way.
    LIL TRIPP likes this.

Red X Angler

i built a rod rack out of shelving board. it was an easy build but you need a skill saw and possibly a table saw to keep all the cuts straight...i'll post a pic if you are interested...
    LIL TRIPP likes this.

RED X ANGLERS: More than a passion, it's an obsession
    Sea Pro 206CC with Yamaha F150TRX: SOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by LIL TRIPP View Post
    I'm looking into a few for my ride as well. I've seen plenty at wal-mart & overton's, etc... but which ones to buy?? There's so many different kinds. What kind do you guys have in your boats?? Probably just gonna put 2 off the back so i can do some trolling here & there.

Also... I'm looking for something to hold/store my rods in at home so they're not just sitting in the corner. I've seen some nice ones at bass pro shops. Any tips? Thanks a lot
    Thanks. I ended up buying the Driftmaster Duo holders and the Universal Clamps to attach to the boat. The clamps work ok and are nice because they are moveable and removeable, but because of the angle of the boat sides they tip down farther than I'd like. I'll probably get some different mounts that actually screw to the boat once I decide the positions I'd like to have them in. The Driftmaster holders and clamps are very sturdy looking and I think the boat or rod would give way before they would. I'm happy with the quality of them.
    LIL TRIPP likes this.

thanks fellas!

Glad to hear you were able to attach them.

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements