Inshore Speckled trout catching tips - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: Speckled trout catching tips

Salt water I believe. Been 2 years since I bought it but hooks didn't rust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I use the regular XRap, lot more color options. Yes you may have a hook to rust, I just change it out an keep fishing. Hot steel, ghost (white) blue are good colors.
    RouseD, and sundrop like this.

Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

Default Speckled trout catching tips

Mine may have been the regular version- was the ghost color for sure. I love the action of that bait. I fish pretty brackish water so the hooks don't start rusting immediately regardless of what they are made from.

RouseD, Scott Hobbs, and sundrop like this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The saltwater version has silver hooks, the regular has black hooks and a feather tail.
    RouseD likes this.

Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

bumping for the new guys
    RouseD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by speckhunter80 View Post
    bumping for the new guys
    Maybe this could be a sticky thread on the saltwater forum...
    RouseD likes this.

Matt ~ 15' 6" Gheenoe Classic, Olive Green
    Red X Angler

Believe it was at one time...

If I'm on a school of trout and the bites slows, I will throw a different color of whatever I am fishing with. The color change will usually get me a few extra fish outta that school. I've found this highly effective with soft plastics.
    Also, if the fish start "tail biting" my plastic baits so I cannot get a hook up, I throw a suspending MirrorLure right back where my plastic was tail bit. More often than not, they will nail the suspending lure.
    DMYankee15, ice cream man, and RouseD like this.

Good time of year for a double rig. Take a long piece of leader and make a loop about 1/3 of the way and then tie a jig head on each end and the loop to the main line. Great way to check productive colors.

Bluemoon2, and RouseD like this.

I'm bttt'ing this because of the time of year

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    "...the days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations... I have really good days." - Ray Wylie Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by yellowdog View Post
    If I'm on a school of trout and the bites slows, I will throw a different color of whatever I am fishing with. The color change will usually get me a few extra fish outta that school. I've found this highly effective with soft plastics.
    Also, if the fish start "tail biting" my plastic baits so I cannot get a hook up, I throw a suspending MirrorLure right back where my plastic was tail bit. More often than not, they will nail the suspending lure.
    Will add that a school will typically move around as well. A lot of times you dont even have to move the boat, just cast in different directions until you find them again or sometimes if you wait 5-10 min they will eventually move back through the area. When the bite tails off i always make sure to do this before moving to a new spot.

Thanks for bumping this thread!

This has been the best year I can remember in at least 10 years, both in terms of quantity and quality. Beautiful, healthy, thick-bodied fish. Plenty of 18-20 inch and up fish this year—leave the 14s in the water to grow! Throw back anything over 22 to make babies! Take care of the fishery, and hope for a mild winter with no cold stuns.

MR-17s and Z-Man Trout Tricks on a 1/8 oz. jig under a popping cork have been most effective baits for me. I have also used Gulp baits, but the Z-Man baits stand up to the pinfish and other bait stealers much better.
    ice cream man likes this.

Kayak Angler, Red X Angler, and a Full Time Angler (as of 2/1/18!!!)Retirement!

Here's my theory why the Trout bite is better this year.
    We all had Hurricane Florence to recover from. Many were too busy to fish.
    Those that did, caught mostly spikes, these are those spike a year later.........IMHO ......ICM
    Saltwater Republic likes this.

My wife keeps saying I don't listen to her .... or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ice cream man View Post
    Here's my theory why the Trout bite is better this year.
    We all had Hurricane Florence to recover from. Many were too busy to fish.
    Those that did, caught mostly spikes, these are those spike a year later.........IMHO ......ICM
    Its all about the winters imo. We have avoided any real bad freezes the past year or two. I think it was 2 years ago when the fishing was on fire and it was the same thing, we had 2 mild winters before that year. We are at the upper range for speckled trout in NC. If we avoid cold winters it really helps our fishing out the next year. Avoid more than 1 and you get the fishing we have this year and a couple years ago. Cheers to global warming and better trout fishing!!
    Saltwater Republic likes this.

Agree with bot of you....... combination of Hurricane Floyd/ less pressure and warm winter/ no trout kill. The warm winters should also increase the bait available for the trout. It should be a great year. Threw back a 21 inch flounder this weekend. I almost cried......

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678