Slide trax / Groove Retrofit (lots of pics)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slide trax / Groove Retrofit (lots of pics)

Default Slide trax / Groove Retrofit (lots of pics)

I had been wanting to install rod holders in front of me for catfish and striper fishing, but I couldn't commit to drilling the holes because I was nervous I would put them too far or too close. Upon seeing the new 2010 boats with the slidetracks I knew I had to homebrew a way to copy the idea.

Here is what I started with: 2 scotty rod holders, plastic cutting board from Lowes, assorted stainless hardware, can of paint and primer (not pictured) and a Bench Dog T-Loc accessory track available at Klingspor Woodworking Store.

The first thing I did was make a plate to connect the Scotty mount to the T-Loc track using the cutting board. I wanted to make sure my idea would work before drilling holes in the kayak. Here is a cross-section of the assembled set-up. The track accepts 1/4 hex bolts (that is what connects the cutting board plate to the track). I filed the corners of the bolts ever so slightly and this really helps the bolts to slide easily in the groove.

The flat portion of the T-Loc track was too long to fit flush with the gunwales because of the foot rest track. I trimmed off appx 3/8" using my jigsaw. The track is aluminum so it cuts fairly easily.

Here is the back side of the cutting board. I used a countersink bit to hollow the cutting board to allow the cone head screws to fit flush.

Ok so that all works... time to drill the boat. I drilled four holes on the flat portion of the T-loc track to mount it to the boat. Three would work as far as strength, but there is a molded in area of the gunwale in the way on the Manta Ray. Once the holes on the track were drilled, I used some squeeze clamps to help position the track on the boat.

The track is held to the boat with a flat head bolt, fender washer, lock washer and hex nut. I originally tried to used lock nuts, but I had a hard time getting the nut secured all the way. It's a long reach to the farthest bolt inside the hatch!

The fender washers needed to be trimmed a little bit so they wouldn't be held off by the rounded area inside the gunwale. I did this with a pair of vise-grip pliers and a bench grinder.

Here is the first assembly of all the parts in place.

I decided to take the kayak out and make sure everything would work as planned before drilling the other side of the boat. I think it'll work great

I painted the tracks satin black to match the foot rest tracks. This step is optional, but I didn't want the extra glare from the bare metal. I textured the tracks with the wire wheel on the grinder to help the paint hold. I strung up the tracks with some fishing line to allow all sides to be painted at the same time.

Here is both sides assembled and in action.

Any questions let me know.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Default Re: Slide trax / Groove Retrofit (lots of pics)

nice set-up there! I always prefer to do things my own way, that's half the fun of it. Looks like you should be able to troll easily with your rods like that, good job!
    RED X ANGLERS: More than a passion, it's an obsession
    Sea Pro 206CC with Yamaha F150TRX: SOLD!

Nice job man!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks guys. I think it will work out great (even though they didn't catch me any fish this weekend )

I know my neck appreciates not having to constantly turn around and check the rods.

Wow! well thought out,well put together.
    Thanks for the great pictures and the winter motivation!
    sooo.... how much for that ultimate 12 again??

That looks real good nice work
    Heroes on the Water
    Cape Fear Chapter Coordinator

Very Nice, good job
    "No one ever calls 911 because they did something smart"
    Red X Angler

Quote Originally Posted by YakN View Post
    Wow! well thought out,well put together.
    Thanks for the great pictures and the winter motivation!
    sooo.... how much for that ultimate 12 again??

He he. The boss wouldn't like me selling "her" boat.

Cool looking rig. Fishfinderphd and I noticed the two Scottys and were commenting on it after getting off the water yesterday. We thought maybe they were rigged on the deck somewhere. Very nice handiwork.

Thanks guys. It would have been easier to just screw a track to the top of the gunwales, but I wanted to keep it flush with the top of them because I cartop the yak upside down.

That looks great. I'm thinking of doing something so I can troll in my Ultimate and not have to look backwards also and be out of the way of paddling. I'm thinking of a sideways pvc pipe mounted up front on the crossbar somehow.

Turtlestew look at my ram mount on my old ultimate would that work for you or you could do clamp on scotty mounts

You can adjust the ram mount so its out of the way or within reach

Heroes on the Water

I actually have one scotty mount on it already but it's kinda in the way when I paddle. Looks like it's not as far up as yours. Maybe because of the difference of the location of the little cutouts in the 12 and 14.5, not sure. I may do few ram mounts further up though somewhere. That's a good idea. I was thinking three holes in the pvc pipe. One for the depthfinder and two for rods.

I also like the console they have (in the link below) for the 14.5 which I like and would work great for a mounting platform but their website says it's specifically for the 14.5 so I don't know if it would fit the 12.

http://www.nativewatercraft.com/accessory.cfm?id=25

The kayak in the picture is a ultimate 12 its my old one.

Im not sure if the console would work with the 12.
    Heroes on the Water

Maybe I just need to slide my seat further back...

I'm gonna contact them about the console, the boats are the same width so I don't see why it wouldn't work but we'll see.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast