Freshwater 
10K views 80 replies 17 participants last post by  RouseD 
#1 ·
It won't be long now before the shad run hits our waters. Shad will hit
brightly colored small flies. Hot pink, hot orange, chartruese are great
colors. A flyrod from 4-8 weight will get the job done. Look out
Goldsboro, Kinston and Pitchkettle.

Here are a few flies I use...the first one was hot last year. As time gets
closer I will be tying a new assortment.

See less See more
#4 ·
These fish hit hard and run and jump like a tarpon...hence.."poor mans tarpon"...:)

Hook sizes in #4, 2, 1/0 are good to go. Most of em above are size 4 with a few in 1/0. I may use a
bigger hook cause of the extra weight to help get the fly down deeper in the water column.

Sometimes the shad run close to the top of the water column like when its warm outside. Other times
they may run closer to the bottom or mid depths. So if you are fishing light flies and not getting bite you
need to go to something you can fish deeper.

Use bright colors and silver or gold flash to get the shad to hit. Small clousers or Crazy Charlies work
great also. If you have bright pink, orange or green colors you should be able to catch a shad. Just
time some up for deeper water..lead eyes... and some for shallower water...chain eyes.

#7 ·
Thanks Scott for the info and the links. I have to organize my Tying table. Had to move it for the Xmas tree , so its time to get it back in order.It kind of became a catch-all. After that I will tie some up.

Reactions: Scott Hobbs
#8 ·
Good Thread Scott.

It certainly won't be long before the Shadbush will bloom and don't forget about the big American Shad on the Cape Fear.

To agree with and add to Scott's earlier post, Since the rivers should be running a strong flow it is important to weight your flies well. Also Shad are sensitive to light will stay at greater depths on bright days. A good sinking line will be the ticket in most cases.

Here's one that I came up with earlier.

#9 ·
Scott, thks for the web sites and for the pics of your flies. Dangle some of those in the water, and I think the shad will come early.

Backlash. very nioce looking fly. What maerials, and hook sizes do you use?

Backlash, thks fore the tips on fly fishing for shad. I may need to make just a few more that are a bit heavier, if the river here at kinston is high when the shad run begins.

#11 ·
Thks Tom. I'll have to look for tha craft lace, next time I get to go to Michael's. Also, the dumbell eyes you use should be heavier than the bead chain eyes I use. I could use just a bit of lead wire on the hook shank, along with the bead chain eyes, until I get more of the dumbell eyes.

Tom, is that craft lace like plastic thread?

#13 ·
Nice fly Tom....that hot orange was my hot color last year. But it may
be hot pink this year....:) I keep an assortment of colors and weights
to fit most situations. Definately have to get some more lead eyes....I'm out.

Maybe the weather will cooperate and we can hit the Cape Fear
Locks this year for a shad trip. Its been 20 years or so since I've
been to any of the locks, so it would be almost like starting over
again.

http://www.ncangler.com/forums/flyties.php?do=view&id=23 <<<<<<<check it out...:)

http://www.ncangler.com/forums/flyties.php?do=view&id=82

http://www.ncangler.com/forums/flyties.php?do=view&id=84

#24 ·
Tom, I think I've seen that craft lace since you metioned using it to make bead necklaces.
That's exactly where I found it. It's a bit wider than larva lace but works pretty good for flies of this size.

Shad feed largely on zooplankton and copepods( Shrimp like little creatures) and this is what we're trying to imitate with shad darts and the flies that we tie. Scott's flies look very much like copepods. Great job Scott. In one of my A.D.D. moments, I came up with these guys the other night.

#22 ·
A few more flies fresh off the vise...:)

This one has the flash material form Yetavon...pink estaz and bead weight, #4 hook.

This one has red tensile from Christmas wreath, #4 hook, silver rubber wrap and chartruese estaz.

Rootbeer estaz, orange maribou with flash and a bead head.

Rootbeer estaz, pink maribou with flash, bead chain eyes. #4 hook.

I call this my big head shad fly. Small chain eyes, red bead, chennile and flash, #2 gold hook.

#26 ·
Tim it would be my pleasure to have you on board....Ruthie can even
join us. Light spinning tackle with small crappie jigs, spoons and of course the fly rod.

I'm tying up plenty of flies cause I seem to lose a few thru the day..either fish or treetops..
..been around Island Man to long.:)

#27 ·
i'm tying up plenty of flies cause i seem to lose a few thru the day..either fish or treetops..
..been around island man to long.:)
yeah he seems to rub off on people lol,i think ruthie would love those fish she loves fishing for drum and up here cats but she also loves the smallies we were getting in the fall since there acrobatic and pull hard :)
if we get any and you want the eggs your more than welcome to them lol i dont think she will eat eggs from a fish lol.
im gonna start tieing some flys up for them as well got nothing better to do now that hunting season is over for deer ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.