NC Angler Forums banner

cherokee trip

Freshwater 
8K views 55 replies 14 participants last post by  possessed 
#1 ·
Anyone interested in a get together in cherokee this spring. I have noticed you guys from other parts of the state have some good m&g's. wouldnt have to be on the trophy water, I know some guys here don't sling flies. :( Just a thought

#32 ·
Hey Tom, I've actually been working full work weeks, knock on wood. Haven't been fishing at all except for M&G at Hot Hole (missed you, man). I'm all over the trip, backpacking or road camping or both. You need help organizing, count on me. Need an assistant stream guide, I'm all over that too.
Deep Creek would be nice- popups and tent camping there, on the Smokies' doorstep. May be a little far for some (may as well keep going to Robbinsville!:))
Davidson River campground (or Kuykendall or White Pines group camps) would be nice, too. Trophy waters, hatchery streams, wild waters, brookies, all accessible from there, and a little closer to everybody. I'm all for hiking 6 miles back in the sticks, but for more people to enjoy, one of the campgrounds would be better. (If at Deep Creek, a nice long day would be down to Forney and back! That'd take care of the guys who really want to do some walking! :).)
Let me know what's up- you can count on me.

#34 ·
yes sir, I could use your help planning this shindig. We'll find out who wants to do what. I guess we should ask what the masses want. Hopefully you'll be more than an assistant, someones gotta show me how to fish:p hemi, don't make us come down and get you

#36 ·
Well, Tom, if you and I are organizing, let's pick a place. Smokies? Or the Pisgah? (Cherokee/Bryson City or Brevard.)
(Next year, let's plan a Smokies Hazel or Eagle Creek excursion- I've never made either. :()
I vote for Pisgah. Whichever Group Camp is less occupied. We have Panthertown and the higher-up streams for brookies, tons of wild water easily accessible, and 2 of the only NC streams listed in the top 100 in the nation. One could easily fish 8 wild streams in a day, or spend all day trying to catch one particular trout in the Davidson! :)
South and North White Pines Group camps up Avery Creek, or the one up past the hatchery on the Davidson. There's Kuykendall, but it's way over on Cathey's Creek. And for those who can't camp, there's the inns and hotels in town. (Same goes for Cherokee or Bryson City there, though.)
April-ish? Let's make a date, and a place! It's on! :)

#37 ·
well lets ask what everybody wants. My vote doesn't count, I am going to play guide for the guys who come up. Panthertown would be awesome, get the guys on some brookies. davidson, try for some brutes and some natives, would also be centrally located with some wild fish and frying pan fodder ( hatchery supported). The group camp idea sounds like the best bet.

#41 ·
o.k. lets plan on staying in smokemont campground in the park. Within very short distance to plenty of wild water in the park and cherokee. I will look into reserving some sites for the 3rd weekend in april (17th). That way we can fish some trophy waters, and fish for some natives too. Does this sound like a plan? This should give us plenty of time to work out any bugs that pop up.

#44 ·
#46 ·
This sounds great to me. I am still a novice in chasing trout in the NC mountains. So far, I have had some decent success hitting delayed harvest and hatchery supported water with a Rooster Tail on my ultra light rod. I may someday take up the fly rod, but I am perhaps getting a little set in my ways.

#47 ·
Catawba, I am 63yo now, and I was 62 when I learned how to use a fly rod and rell, and to tries flies. Never too old for that. The spinning gear you have also sounds like fun. I love using ultralite also. I haven't trried to catch a fresh water trout yet, but that could come this year.

#48 ·
Catawba i hope you get a chance to learn about the great sport of fly fishing! It puts a big spin on the art form of fishing! There is nothing like catching a fish on a fly rod and tying put your own fly! please let me know if you need any help! We have fly fishing clinics here in Fayetteville and it is a great way to about the sport!

#49 ·
Thanks for the encouragement regarding the fly rod. I am sure I will give it a shot and perhaps this year. Right now I am recovering from back surgery so I may not be ready by spring but should be fine come summer/fall.

#50 ·
I second what Hemi said. I just started fly fishing last season and I never took my spinning gear out one time. The flyrod is really something neat to fish with. It's really satisfying to catch a fish on the fly. As the old commercial said, "Try it, you'll like it."

#51 ·
I have been flinging a fly for 41 years and its 95% of the fishing I do.My son and my best friend yakattack got this "old dude" in a yak and now my bride of 36 years is now fly fishing and yaking. It for us is a family sport!I am looking forward to meeting you Chug bug!!!

#52 ·
Tarheel Fly Flinger I hope to meet some of you folks too, but the current date for this trip is not working out for me. I have a commitment to another fishing trip on High Rock Lake. Since I am in Morganton, I might be able to make it up one day and catch up with some of you. At any rate, if you are every up this way and want to hit a stream around here give me a shout.

#53 ·
Deep Creek, Bryson City. Been there a half dozen times- really love that area. Have we worked out a date yet? I'm still up for taking some fellas down to Forney Creek, or at least Noland Creek one day. Forney is a 4 mile hike in to the creek- for the most adventurous, but the creek is rarely fished. Noland is right off The Road to Nowhere, access is easy, so it gets more pressure. Tom, have you checked Deep Creek campground? I believe they have a group camping area there, too. As far upstream in the campground as you can go.
Looking forward to this!! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.