NC Angler Forums banner

Trip to Cape Fear ,Lumber or Black River for Bows

Freshwater 
14K views 111 replies 21 participants last post by  YAKATTACK FLY FLINGER 
#1 ·
The Tarheel Fly Flingers are getting together a trip to the Cape Fear or Lumber or the Black River in search of Monster Bowfins. These fish are something else on the flyrod ! Most of us will be in yaks but boaters are welcomed. If you want to attend this outting please post us on this thread and leave us a message on dates and month. Everything is open as of now.The best months for Bows are from June to September.

This is some of the pics of our trip to Core Creek

this is Requiem

See less See more
#30 ·
I can't say if i will be able to go for sure with the the months so far ahead. but when it comes down to a month away i will be able to let you know. as of now. im in. but that of course, may change. i shoould how ever have a few kayaks to lend if some one needs one!

#32 ·
i personally have seen a bowfin that went from the third brake light on a astro van to the ground with the tail laying on the ground well over 25lbs been tring to make it back there again many fish like that there they make a stew out of them man were they big now i know the record hoping to break it

#36 ·
Yetavon has the right answer ...I don't want to interfere with Druminator and his M&G in Wilmington in June. I think early June will be good .Please put down your dates you prefer. I will use Google Earth and talk to several of you and decide where. Thanks ...Allen

#46 ·
I have been there before here are the cooordinates

Lat 34º 8'26.23"n lon 78º32'43.70"w

there is a landing above and below the area by water at the bridge's but they are a trip in a boat to get there the land to the west is owned by a paper company leased by a hunting club they have been very nice about allowing me access to camp and fish outside of there hunting season aslong as i picked up behind myself there are roads back through the swamp to the river i drove my bus converted to an rv on so acces is good hard to find without instuctions none of the paths are labelled but we had a very nice grassed pad with a dirt boat ramp in deep ( 8'/10') water awsome cat fishing and if you have fished a swamp you know it is more than a river you can just paddle off amongst the cyprus tree's

#48 ·
From what I tell that is Juniper Creek in Bogue , NC, or that is how it is labeled on my map. It looks like it would be a good place , much like Core creek coming off a river there and flooded timber. I also marked a spot a little farther down river that looks good too.

Attachments

#50 ·
Looks like I have room for a limited number. Parking would be the issue if we could carpool it would be far better that is if yall are interested in the waccamaw that is just the offer I had. Spoke with my guy and he is more than happy to lead us along and offer local support. Which is aplus. The locall's don't particular ly like people taking over there hidden secrets. But as a guest you are respected. If you can understand They. Are alittle. Peculiar about change

#52 ·
I am hoping to be able to go on this trip, and fish with froggy again.

It would be nice if we had a large trailor with a rack to carry the yaks and canoes on this trip. I have a very large 4 wheel trailor, I know, overkill, that I have access to,and money in it, that would carry a few yaks without a rack on it. If there is interest in this let me know, and I'll get TFF to come take a look at it to see what he thinks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.