NC Angler Forums banner

Trip to Cape Fear ,Lumber or Black River for Bows

Freshwater 
14K views 111 replies 21 participants last post by  YAKATTACK FLY FLINGER 
#1 ·
The Tarheel Fly Flingers are getting together a trip to the Cape Fear or Lumber or the Black River in search of Monster Bowfins. These fish are something else on the flyrod ! Most of us will be in yaks but boaters are welcomed. If you want to attend this outting please post us on this thread and leave us a message on dates and month. Everything is open as of now.The best months for Bows are from June to September.

This is some of the pics of our trip to Core Creek

this is Requiem

See less See more
#81 ·
I would love to come along but have not floatation device other than a float tube. Are there any other spaces left. Bowfin and chain pickerel are high on my list of want to catch locally. I have only caught one bowfin in S FL fishing a canal for peacock bass. It took a clouser I believe. Would a float tube suffice where you are discussing.

#82 ·
The Bows have not started up yet...must be those cold nights. It 's not like them to be this late getting started.I will let you know when things come together! Yes we would love to have you come along on this trip k2 ! Froggy went on a recon last week and no Bows! I am fishing Core Creek once a week and will report when they are active. The Bows are getting more active but no hook ups yet!!!

#83 ·
i am very confident we will be in prime fishing by trip time the water levels, might change little more than desired but we will just change our launche's to accomadate the water tring to seal the deal on a take out with a local hunting club for access just waiting on a response

#84 ·
Do we have a definite date/location yet? I have been tying some experimental bottom bouncers and minnow imitations. TFF I have tied a few yarn worms (similar to yours) which caught me some pond bass this morning, I ran across some really soft ponytail holders at the Dollar Tree that work real well.

#85 ·
I know those holders ...they are clear with some having a tint of blue and some with pink. I use these for speckled trout. I think they would make excellent collars for flies for Bass and Bows too. I will post by this weekend the date froggy has for us.Thanks for all the intrest.

#86 ·
some of my attempts

I got inspired after you sent me the pictures of your tied worms and tried a few. Here are some pics, as well as some pics my tries at minnows and bugs. I am hoping to get some bass out from under some of the docks on Hickory this summer as well as maybe a bowfin or two down your way. One of the worms is carpet yarn and the others are "hair srunchis"

Dollar Tree was a wonderful source, thanks for the idea. The one up here has some 4 colored flourescent, fiber dusters.

Thanks for the advice
Darrell

Attachments

#87 ·
Nice looking ties! I know you will have a grand time catching fish with flies like these ! Do something before you come down this way...Tie some about 4 to 5 inches long with a weed guard and no wt.I have found a location 1 1/2 miles down from Core Creek called Pitch Kettle Creek! bows everywhere in 2 to 3 ft of water!!!!yakattack got one there that is in the 10 lbs range and I got a Shell Cracker close to 2 1/2 lbs and a Bass pushing 3 lbs.had some Bows on but did not boat any. This is a special place!!!

#89 ·
The bass was on an AP Diver...white! The shell Cracker was on a experimental tie...a bottom bouncing streamer! We will see how it does on future fishing trips. The X fly is on a # 4 short shank hook ,weed guard,wing is green and black polar flash,collar is brown hackel. Oh it is lightly wighted! I made it for shallow water.

#91 ·
hey every one me and allen spoke the other night and decided on a date i will ask him to post it but it is on a saturday if anyone would like to camp the evening and fish the following day ( sunday) it is possible in primitive stlye ( tents,aka no runnning water) just need to know who is interested in that once the date is posted we will need a running head count on commited members for our trip is will be acessed from private land where they don't cater to non local's so it is important to keep them abreast of the number of people coming all are welcome i just do not want to surprise anyone locally i would like to have my permission remain intake after the trip it is amawsome untouched fishery

#92 ·
since its 5-6hr trip for me I would be making it a several day trip, and have no problem roughing it...even if we have to paddle into the site it no problem for me....now if the wife is along I may get lucky to get one night away in the popup without water...
Darrin

#94 ·
Ok gang here are the dates from froggy....Put in time on the Waccamaw river is to be determined but the event date is June 19th and for those who want to stay overnite in the camp ground the 20th is good too. We are working on a meeting place and so far it is the small town of Old Dock.Maybe at the school . There is room for up to 15 campers. Froggy is working on the details but hope this will help. I can't wait to tangle with some of those oversized Bows and Froggy is going on a recon soon, a report will follow.

#97 ·
Okay went on a scout rip yesterday the water is down the level of the river will determine wher we actually fish I spent more time with the locall's hunting up info for our trip to get the most success the actuall launch will be dictated by water conditons if there is alot of water the fish spread out if there is low water they bunch up to catch the bigguns we are after we have to get down " them fish are rubbing them bellies on those roots waiting for a mouthfull to come his way" was how it was presented to me they are catching alot in the 6 to 10 lb range but they say the big boys are plentyfull right now if you put it on him deep I feel there will be alot of fish caught on this trip hopefully everyone will understand that conditions dictate where the fish will be therefore we want to go to the fish. That is why I. Ask we meet at old dock elementry on hwy 130 that morning our launchs will be no farther than 10 mins away but the sections to be fish range from the fish ponds of crusoe island on the waccamaw and where juniper creek and the waccamaw meet both are notorious for big big bowfin I will try and post as much as I can ahead of time

#101 ·
okay to my understanding we are going on the trip this weekend coming up which is fathers day weekend also i am tring to tighten up are plans as to which strech of the river and transport of vechiles as well as campers so if you are planning on making the trip please contact me or allen so we can count you in or out . no hard feelings if you cann't make it just let us know i want to know i have enough room for all and exactly where we will be fishing will be posted on tuesday the meeting location should be set already at old dock elementry on hwy 130 south of whiteville saturday morning the 20th i will be there friday the 19th to set up and make sure or camp area is clean as well as try and locate some fish to see if i can develop a quick pattern for us i am really excited hope to have a good turn out so if every one could call me @ 919 201 7882 cell or 919 471 1060 home leave a message if i don't answer or reply here hope everyone has a good weekend and tight lines to all

#106 ·
Darin, my plans aren't settled as yet for the weekend of the 26th. I do know that I will attend the M &G at Queens Creek on that weekend. My plans are to stay 3 or 4 nights in a campground around the Swansboro area. Was looking at Cedar Point campground, but may try to get a spot in a campground with full hookups. My wife is going with me, and needs lots of creature comforts. Will still try to meet up with you, if at all possinble, before you leave.

My wife and I just rode up to Lenoir and spet a couple of nights. We did ride to the Blue Ridge Parkway, via Blowing Rock. When we got on the parkway, we headed north for just a bit. I saw some people fishing in a roadside pond to see what they were catching. The pond is stocked with trout, but those people had not caught anything. They told me it used to be a good place to fish, but that lately, it wasn't so good. We went just a bit farhter, and saw a small lake. I think the name of it was Julian Price, or something like that. TYhere were people there fishing also, beside the road. The ones i tlaked to had a couple of small trout and some other fish in a cooler. The woman told me she had caught a 5 lb trout there last year. I did not have a trout lincense, so I did not fish. Next time I go, I will stay a little longer and give the fishing a try. I met a young man in Wal mart there. He was telling me the Wilson Creek are was hot now for trout. Not familiar with that are either, but I think it was close to where I was staying. The mountain trip was a spur of the moment thing. We had stayed in the same hotel about 3 years ago. Couldn't find a room ion Blowing rock, so we were told we may find one in Lenoir.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.