NC Angler Forums banner

Trip to Cape Fear ,Lumber or Black River for Bows

Freshwater 
14K views 111 replies 21 participants last post by  YAKATTACK FLY FLINGER 
#1 ·
The Tarheel Fly Flingers are getting together a trip to the Cape Fear or Lumber or the Black River in search of Monster Bowfins. These fish are something else on the flyrod ! Most of us will be in yaks but boaters are welcomed. If you want to attend this outting please post us on this thread and leave us a message on dates and month. Everything is open as of now.The best months for Bows are from June to September.

This is some of the pics of our trip to Core Creek

this is Requiem

See less See more
#4 ·
Just an idea.....Advents Ferry. That is the bridge/boat ramp off Hwy 42 just north of Sandford and west of Fuquay Varina. You have the Haw and Deep River where they junction to form the Cape Fear River. Plenty of water and should be perfect for kayaks at that time of year. Boat ramp is beside the hwy, kinda like in Kinston.

Plenty of bass, crappie, bowfin and panfish in this area.

Avent's Ferry, Chatham Co., NC Check the bottom pic for the boat ramp area.

couple of speckled trout flies....I believe they are living in Wilmington.

I'll post more pics later.

<*)))))>{

#5 ·
Im in as of now. The only thing is alot of the black river is not navigable by boat unless it is a small jon boat that can be lifted over log jams or sand bars. The lower part of the black river is navigable by boat but it is also alot bigger and tidal. I prefer going futher up the river where most people cant access. Lots of good fishing back up in there.

#6 ·
you can count me in allen! I would love to fish on any of these river systems. I have seen some very big bowfins caught in the lumber river and would love a shot at getting a chance out on the water to hunt them! i would also like to hunt them on the cape fear river! as of right now i dont have anything going on with work but that can change anytime. If i am here you can count me in!

#11 ·
that bowfin was 36 1/2 inches long with an 18 inch girth,thats a big bow for sure and when i get home ill show ya'll how to catch em up :)

World Record: 21 lbs., 8 oz., from Forest Lake, Florence, S.C., Jan. 29, 1980*

#13 ·
caught some nice bows before below lock and dam #1.......was shad fishing there one time and was also using cut shad for blue cats but couldnt keep the bows off of it........march a few years ago........mack

#20 ·
Yes everyone would need a SC license to be legal.I have both due to my location and trips. we have talked about puting in at hwy 9 outside Nichols SC and paddling about 2mile up and camping for the weekend. we race in Maxton NC near the lumber but never been on it in that area.
Darrin

#22 ·
This could be its own thread....being a recovering race-aholic, i dont race anything...I build and crew for my kids. Daughter has made 135MPH in an S-10, shes new to it. our son has piloted dozens of bikes there over the years,set many records,including getting in the 200 MPH club @ 213. send him to www.ecta-lsr.com to look around and he is more than welcome to hang out with us and learn the ropes.
Darrin

#24 ·
you can purchuse the SC license online at this website:

https://dnrlicensing.sc.gov/DNRLicensing/EntryPage.aspx

you can buy the:

NON RESIDENT 7-DAY FRESHWATER FISHING LICENSE Valid 7 consecutive days. Required for all public fresh waters when using manufactured equipment and/or artificial bait. Also required on all SC DNR managed and WMA lakes and with all non-game fishing devices. $11.00

#25 ·
Being originally from Lumberton, the Lumber River offers some nice Bow fishing, there's even a better place going out hwy 41 (road going toward Elizabethtown) about 10 miles out of L'ton there's a place call the Big Swamp that use to be full of them suckers. Any of you from that area now might try it sometime this spring.

#26 ·
I'm in for this. To far out to say what exact day is best for me. Haven't got our schedule yet for this summer's workouts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.