NC Angler Forums banner

Topsail Area Public Access FISHING spots

97K views 53 replies 32 participants last post by  Deepblu505 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am creating this thread as a repository for information on inshore places in the Topsail area that can be fished by folks that don't have a boat. Please feel free to post a spot here as well. Please make sure it really is public, that is it is open to anyone to use without seeking permission.

Absolutely DO NOT post information that would cause someone to be trespassing. If you aren't sure, don't post the info until you find out.

#2 ·
Town of Topsail Beach, Empie Road Public Beach Access, Sound side. While heading south on HWY 50, turn right onto Empie Street. It dead ends into a public access area on the sound. There is a park bench there and a short trail that leads down to the water's edge. The water drops off fairly quickly, well within casting distance. There is a small shelf there between land and the channel and docks on either side - should hold flounder and drum from time to time.

#3 ·
Town of Surf City, Sound Side Park. It is on the right just after you cross the swing bridge onto the island. There are several sound side piers you can fish from and plenty of parking. Crabbing is very good here too. Great place to take kids as their is also a playground for when they get tired of fishing. Picnic facilities, rest rooms and boat ramps are also available.

#5 ·
North Topsail Beach---4 X 4 vehicles ONLY--- off of hwy 210 take New River Inlet Road all the way to the north end of the island. You will see a sign to engage your 4X4 on your vehicle. Take a right and you can go about 100 yard..you must stop and not proceed past the big sign on the right. Going to the left you can go to the first small feeder creek. They have post up to keep vehicles out of the bird nesting areas.

You can back you truck or vehicle up to the New River Inlet and fish right out the tailgate. Great place to stop and take a pier cart to the surf. Lots of great fishing in this area.

<*)))))>{

#54 ·
North Topsail Beach---4 X 4 vehicles ONLY--- off of hwy 210 take New River Inlet Road all the way to the north end of the island. You will see a sign to engage your 4X4 on your vehicle. Take a right and you can go about 100 yard..you must stop and not proceed past the big sign on the right. Going to the left you can go to the first small feeder creek. They have post up to keep vehicles out of the bird nesting areas.

You can back you truck or vehicle up to the New River Inlet and fish right out the tailgate. Great place to stop and take a pier cart to the surf. Lots of great fishing in this area.

<*)))))>{

Hey Scott where do you get the ORV Permit?

#12 ·
there is a public access on turkey creek but i cant give directions how to get there. it is a wildlife ramp i guess. ive only been once to look at it. if someone will give directions, here is another. if someone knows this area and you can't fish from land, just let moderator know to delete. looks fishy anyway

#14 ·
Turkey Creek was updated a year or 2 ago...

Turkey Creek
INTRACOASTAL WATERWAY
Handicapped Accessible: No
Canoe Access: No
Restrooms: No
Parking: 30 spaces, UNPAVED
Directions:
Beginning from the junction of US 17 and NC 210 approximately 13 miles south of Jacksonville, travel east on NC 210 for 5.6 miles to SR 1518 (Old Folkston Road). Turn right onto SR 1518 and travel 1.7 miles to SR 1529 (Turkey Point Road). Turn left onto SR 1529 and travel 1.6 miles to SR 1530 (Turkey Point Road). Turn right onto SR 1530 and travel 0.8 miles to the end of the road. The area will be located at the end of the road.
Click here to get Google Directions.
Address:
619 Turkey Point Rd
Holly Ridge, NC 28445
Coordinates:

34° 29' 38.62" N, 77° 27' 54.83" W

#20 ·
This has been very helpful forum, i am not familiar with the area and have looked at the map and found the area North Topsail Beach---4 X 4 vehicles ONLY--- off of hwy 210 take New River Inlet Road looked like really good area, My question is i dont have a 4x4 truck, may I park before i get to 4x4 sign and use a beach cart to get out there? also had another idea i do have a 4x4 4wheeler, would that be ok to drive out there with a small trailer and if so would i need a pass or anything?

#23 ·
Ok thanks for the info but if i had to pull a beach cart out there? I was looking at the overhead pic and i see you would drive out straight from river road but i havnt the 4x4 (yet) where is the parking area? Hopefully at the end of river road before the engage 4X4 sign.

#24 ·
There is no public parking on that road. There are no parking signs all down the end of river road once you make that last right. The only pubic parking is once you get onto the beach. I tried twice without putting it in 4x4 and it slowed down and started to spin both times. So I would say you need a 4x4 to get onto the beach.

Tim C

#25 ·
Thanks fro posting Mike. This thread is a great idea. The Empie road access is a nice access, located near our home, and is great for wade fishing at low tide. The docks do hold small flounder and reds. Don't know why, but I have only caught under sized fish at this access. Maybe this spring will break the mold.
Tight lines!
Johnny

#26 ·
I take my grand kids to the big pier here, with a pound of shrimp and a bag of chicken legs, we can spend the day catching pin fish, croakers, and crabs. If they tire the fishing for a while, there is the playground in the park as well. My wife Donna or I can walk right across the street and get some grilled chicken sandwiches or a pizza at Max's for a lunch at the picnic tables. Really a wonderful family atmosphere.
Johnny
http://www.fishintopsail.com

This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.