NC Angler Forums banner

Fishing in the Fayetteville/Fort Bragg Area

27K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  07_hemi_thunderroad 
#1 ·
Howdy folks-

I was curious if there is anybody that fishes near Fayetteville or on post that wouldn't mind taking me under their wing and showing me how to fish the lakes around here. I've been stationed here for almost two years now and can literally count the fish I've actually landed on one hand. Some of that is due to not being around much to go out, but I think alot of it is amounting to inexperience with the area. Also, I just bought this semi-rugged inflatable thing that I mounted a trolling motor on, thinking that getting out on the lake would improve things drastically, just to realize that the last time I fished from a boat was probably 15 years ago with my papa back in Texas, and if I ever knew anything about fishing from a boat, I've forgotten it now. I've been out to Lake Rim, Mott Lake and McKellars in the last couple of weeks and got skunked big time (except for this little fish that I couldn't identify in the boat, that may have been an alewife?). In any case, fishing by myself is getting lonesome, especially with no fish. I have mainly fished for catfish, panfish, and bass in previous locations, but would be up for trying for something else, as well. It would be awesome if any of y'all wanted to get together.

Hope y'all are having better luck than I've had ;)
Johnny

See less See more
#2 ·
Johnny Boy- Check out the thread about the Fayetteville Fishing Club. Come by and meet some us on April 10th. I'll should have some time to go again in a couple weeks. Maybe, I could show you around then. If your interested in Bass I would recommend Holland or Keist Lake right now. I have had a lot of sucess in both places. McKellars and Andrews Church should be warming up for catfish.

#12 ·
I live in the Fayetteville area and am not in the military. My family is looking for some good fishing lakes or ponds to go to around the area. We have been driving to Raleigh but with the gas prices and convenience we would love to find some places around here. Do you have any suggestions and or advice?

#4 ·
I don't mind anyone tagging along when I go out. If you don't mind getting skunked together that is. :rolleyes: I'm just getting back into this sport myself so I'm adjusting to new techniques also trying to get a truck on the road to go with my leaking jon boat :D .

#5 ·
Ive had some pretty decent luck lately with bass on a fluke minnow.. i think they are made by rogers lures. they sell them anywhere the wite ones work best but white with chartuese tail seems to work well. I also use a special lure..Which is to say the least the easiest thing to catch fish on haha.

But if you get around to it I'll go with you. IM racing up in greenville on sunday b ut maybe next weekend if the weather is nice.

#6 ·
What type of racing do you do rob?

We're going out early Monday if you would like to ride out with us to Rhodes Pond, Rob. Wife goes to work at 6:00 am. Hoping to be gone not long after that.

#7 ·
I am pretty much down for any time and place, work schedule and kitchen passes permiting. Don't mind getting skunked at as long as there's good company. The way I came up, the company was just as important as the fishing. Going it alone AND getting skunked is pretty bad for morale, though ;)

Johnny

#8 ·
Hey coach Ill be in school from 9-11 but if you send your number or call me around 11 if its nice and your still out there Ill meet ya.

I auto-x we make tracks in open parking lots with cones. and also a little drag racing.

#9 ·
Sounds like fun.

Rob, we're going either monday or tuesday. Whichever is nice. I'll give ya call if we go out there and you are available.

Johnny, you're more then welcome to come along.

#10 ·
Coach, thanks so much for the invite, but sadly enough I'm going to be out of town Monday and getting back on Wednesday this coming week. I'd rather fish, but I have to pay the bills... :rolleyes: Hopefully it'll work out later on though, thanks again for the offer!

Johnny

#15 ·
You can get a license at the lodge across the street from McKeller's Lodge. It costs $25, and is good for a year. As far as where to go, Mott is ok with a boat, Wyatt is good from shore but only for catfish, and McArthur is so-so for bass but again, you need a boat. Or, you could always try McKeller's right by the lodge- there's some decent cats in there too, and some bass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.