NC Angler Forums banner

Spam & such

Tags
26K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  aquaholic3720 
#1 ·
This morning there were 5 new threads and 2 other posts by the same spammer. That happens quite often. What amazes me is that not a single person reported it as spam. There was a total of 9 responses to his posts (several by the same veteran users) calling him out as a spammer but no one reported him.

If you see spam or offensive language or a bru-ha-ha building, please use the report link that is on every post- that will send a message to us moderators and we will know to get our tails over there and fix it. We read every post but with the volume of posts we get it can be several hours before we do, so help us stamp out spam!

The report link is a triangle with an exclamation mark inside and is on the same line as the "reply" choices but on the left side.

Thanks for your help!

#4 ·
I tried the 'triangle' to report this idiot that posted. It told me I was unauthorized.

I also was one of those who did not know how to report spam. I just tried the triangle again and it worked.

#7 ·
Due to the SPAMMER attack on our forums today we have had to resort to manually activating new accounts. If you register a new account we will try to confirm your registration as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience as we all have to adjust because of the actions of a few misfits who have nothing better to do with their lives than to disrupt the tranquility of others. What goes around comes around and their day will come. If someone had taken that young man fishing as a kid maybe he would be doing something more useful and productive with his time. :)

I want to thank our diligent and faithful moderators for dealing with this unfortunate situation today. You guys ROCK! :)

#13 ·
Well, if we repeated it, we'd have to delete it again. It was not at all contributing to any thread -- pure and simple just making a pain of himself/herself. If you're concerned about accidentally crossing a line, you may review the site guidelines (Info, Guidelines in the top menu bar). The mess we had yesterday, though, was no accident.

#17 ·
Yes...to report a post click on the triangle, type why you are reporting it in the message box and submit it. That goes straight to the moderators and we will jump on it as quick as we can.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

#18 ·
Hi folks. I wanted to update you on our progress in fighting SPAMMERS. You may remember that we had a very obnoxious person attack our forums a couple weeks back, vowing to to bring more mayhem to us. As a result we had to implement moderated registrations. In the process of tightening things up we lost a couple of folks who were genuinely wanting to join our forums. I've been in contact with them and hopefully they'll try again. We now have new software implemented that will check registrations against known forum SPAM lists and if it is a known spammer they will be kicked out immediately. If they pass this first test they will be approved into a new usergroup called "Newbies". Any posts made by newbies will be moderated until we know they are a legitimate, contributing member to our forums. So if you register a new account please be patient as your posts are moderated until you are bumped up to our Registered Angler status.

Hopefully these changes will keep our forums family-friendly and on target for fishing discussions. Thanks all for your patience and thanks to our moderators who keep us going!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.