NC Angler Forums banner

Tarheel Fly Flingers Spring M&G for May 7th at Bay River Campground!!!

Saltwater 
9K views 88 replies 23 participants last post by  YAKATTACK FLY FLINGER 
#1 ·
We are excited to have our M&G at Bay River Campground this spring!! Frank and Rachel manage the BRC are looking forward to us coming down and it will be a GREAT TIME with friends and family! We will have free tying lessons and fly casting. If you thought you would like to learn some new techniques or just get started in fly fishing come on down! The fishing should be good ! We are looking at Reds , Trout, and Flounder being there. I will have a map made up so you can have some great spots to try ! Trent Creek ,Chapel Creek Bay River, are some of the places we will explore. Please CK with the campground for camping details their #252-745-4879...they do tent and RV's camping if you are intrested.

The date will be May 7th. If you would like to bring something , thats great . I thought we could keep it simple and grill some sausage dogs . Frank said we will have a fire ring and maybe a gas grill....WHAT HOSPITALITY!!! They have treated the Red X Anglers like royality!This is one of the best places one can go for a fantastic fishing trip.

This is a nice place to put in a yak, they also have some boat ramps on location . I would suggest using a shallow draft boat for the skinny water. I know Island Man launched his boat in there last yr.

If you are planning on coming to this M&G , please let us know ...we need a head count.I am looking forward to seeing you there and please suggest other locations we can try out. Fresh or salt, it will be another adverture !!

See less See more
#28 ·
I don't know if I am a member or not, but I just saw this and I want to come. I have some kidney and bladder stone issues at this time, and am afraid May 7 may be in surgery recovery window...BUT if not, I will try to be there, and will try to sked surgery around this event.

I can bring a Ocean Kayak near top of the line fishing yak, as well as my malibu x factor. I have paddles and seat for extra yak, but don't think I have an extra life jacket. I am also willing to bring anything as far as food, drink, ice, coolers. Just need a little help putting yaks on rack and taking them off.

Please let me know what consumables I can bring. Looking forward to it immensely.

jcinnb

#35 ·
RECON ON BAY RIVER!!! MY crew went to Bay River this afternoon and we did well considering the bad weather last nite. We caught 7 trout and 1 flounder . Then we had a pod of porpoise , looked like to be 10 strong began feeding and it appeared to be on sting rays. Then they started for the edges where the trout were and that was about it! I had several hits on a trolled fly but all hit short...the ones I did catch was on a MR 14 Mirror lure color blue and chartrues. The largest was 14 to 15 inch range but most were in the 12 inch range. Jared caught 2 trout and a flounder and Rhonda got 1 trout. Oh , Jared and I did the trolling in our yaks!

#36 ·
Hey everyone, the meet & greet for the fly flingers is only 2 weeks away. Get your plans situated
for what ever you are to bring as far as the food list is concerned so you won't be running crazy at the last minute. The food list & what is being brought by who volunteered is on a seperate thread next to this one. Look over it if you forgot what you said you were gonna bring. Pray for awsome weather and lots of good fishing. I am ready to have some fun and see some friends i haven't seen in a while. Friendly reminder, i will have raffle tickets available for purchase for charlie cobbs fund raiser. Checks are also
welcome. Again, they are 1 for $5 3 for $10 and 6 for $20...lots of prizes to be won and more being added.
Looking forward to seeing you all there.

#38 ·
Got the OK from the wife, so barring bad weather will be there. Who would like to fish with me out of my boat? Looks like most are using kayaks, which I do not have and would rather not use. Please let me know, as I do not relish trying to fish alone.

Rick

#40 ·
Jcinnb...I am really looking forward to seeing you but if it is at a later time it will still work! Just let me know when your up to a yak fishing trip and we will do it.

NCTribute... glad you can make down! I hope this wind will be gone by the M&G. We did well on the recon trip!caught some nice trout. We did see some Cow Nosed Rays coming in.

#43 ·
NC Tribute... Trout have been there on all the trips we've done this spring. I have not caught a Red this spring yet but I know they should be in, JDHD is catching Reds in Slocum. Reports of 16 inch Flounder have come from the campground too. I am bringing my lap top to show some of my RED X'S on Bay River so everyone will have a shot at good fishing. I will cover sections on Bay River , Chapel Creek, Trent Creek,Smith Creek, Vandemere Creek.

#46 ·
This week is the M&G !!We are looking forward to seeing y'll there on the 7th! Rain or shine we will be there tying flies and if the weather is good ... casting lessons and fishing . Thanks everyone for all the responses. This is building up to be a GREAT M&G.

#51 ·
What time are people planning on arriving? I am thinking I can be there around 4:30. Having to drive from Clayton. If anyone wants to try to get an hour or two of fishing in Friday evening let me know. I have a tent site with electric, not sure where everyone else is going to be at.

#53 ·
I will try to be there around 7:30 AM and will set up for fly tying I will try to get another flinger to fly cast shortly after.We are planning on cooking ,picnic and fellowship after the fishing is over. We are so looking forward to seeing everyone including Cobb, JCINNB, and others who are not feeling their best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.