Bond lake Slab... no... Doormat crappie
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bond lake Slab... no... Doormat crappie

Default Bond lake Slab... no... Doormat crappie

I bought a cast net today. I weighed whether it would be worth it and i figured my mom doesnt want to drive me a extra 15 minutes the wrong way to the bait shop every time, and i have to pay for the minnows anyways... so i dropped $25 into a 3' eagleclaw cast net with 3/8" mesh. I couldn't be more satisfied, first 10 casts i didnt throw it right but after i held it correctly only took 3 throws to fill my bucket with 30 big minnows.

They appear to be the exact same as the bait store ones just bigger, which seems to catch bigger crappie... as you can see down below!
    Hit up bond lake around 4 pm and i didn't feel like luggin my bait bucket around to the far side so i fished from the boardwalk area. Very soon after i got there i got a small catfish mabye 12-14 inches long and i didn't wanna look like a fool takin my picture with a little catfish LOL so i just let him go without a picture.
    Then my bobber went under again and i set the hook, instantly i feel big head shakes and think another catfish, then as it gets closer i get a glimps of it and think its a bass, not until it was right by the boardwalk did i realize it was the biggest crappie ive ever caught. i walked him to the shore and got him in! My god i was so proud!

Kept fishing got a bass that i took too long to set the hook on cuz i was using my bass rod not paying attention to the bobbers on the other rods and i gut hooked him, i clipped the line off then i used my other pair of pliers to cut off the entire eye of the hook as i saw on a TV show on WFN. I figure without the eye itll just slide right out soon. No picture as i didnt want to put the fish through any more harm honestly.
    Then a while later i landed this other SLAB!

Also id like to say thanks to the guy who was nice enough to take the picture for me, i told him about NCangler, mabye he'll read this.
    I also got a huge hit from a big catfish and i got him all the way to the dock but unfortunately there were lots of little kids fishing and they took a long time to reel in their lines so i could move him along the boardwalk to the shallow area off the boardwalk, and the hook bent and pulled straight out of his mouth... My fault for using el-cheepo hooks, though i kind of do so that they rust out easier from gut hooked fish. UGH i swear that he really was 2.5-3 feet long had to be at least 5-7 pounds not exagerating at all i promise! It was a channel cat, he was really close to the shore but there was no way i could've pulled him up out so i was trying to maneuver him to the shore off the boardwalk but took too long cuz of others lines
    Got this bass too, on a mepps spinner! ( I ran outto minnows cuz i tried to refill the bucket but the top fell off as i scooped it down and like more than half of the remaining ones swam out so i ran out early)

Also heres to a crappie caught on a 1/32 oz jighead with a chartreuse 2" powergrub caught a few days ago, i figured id throw it in here as its decent.

Til next time,
    Tight Lines!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

awesome day!!! and looks like your becoming quite the responsible fisherman!! Congrats!! Mom will be proud! NICE SLABS!
    * Be responsible to the resource, not just obedient to the laws *
    RED X ANGLER* * MEMBER OF THE JON BOAT BASS CLUB OF NC * ARDENT REELS PROSTAFF REEL IT IN BAITS PRO STAFF 1st Tournament win 2/20/16 at Hyco lake 13lb 14.8oz 5 fish.

sounds like a great day!! nice looking crappie man
    Red X Angler
    There is always a way

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Sounds like its raining so im guessing soccers off so mabye i can go catch more tomorrow!
    Also my dad gets back from india this weekend so i should soon get to go look at a kayak or canoe. After searching for 3 weeks ive decided most likely on a OLd town pack canoe. Half the weight of a 12 foot kayak and twice the storage. Its lightly used and appears great and for half the price of it retail!? Ofcourse!

Ontopic: thanks guys, ill try to make it out tomorrow for more slabs
    Nat's Dad likes this.

Very nice fish. Glad the cast net paid off for you
    FishinCary likes this.

Can someone tell m the name of that minnow? It looks the same as the ones at the baitshop but whats it called?

very nice crappie.............
    Mowhawk pack , coleman scanoe, OT 158, 2 OT 119's,
    1232 Jon Boat, Wilderness Systems ATAK 140, Ascend 12T

Looks like a chub minnow to me. Brad

Hey check Craigslist there's been some awesome deals on canoes on there lately.
    * Be responsible to the resource, not just obedient to the laws *
    RED X ANGLER* * MEMBER OF THE JON BOAT BASS CLUB OF NC * ARDENT REELS PROSTAFF REEL IT IN BAITS PRO STAFF 1st Tournament win 2/20/16 at Hyco lake 13lb 14.8oz 5 fish.

nice pics. sweet crappies.
    ReD X Angler

Http://pond.dnr.cornell.edu/nyfish/C...yprinidae.html

Looks like a fathead to me too? Which is odd... It says they will never grow over 3 inches on websites that stock them... Ive caught them 5 inches fishing there in the past... World record fathead minnow pond?

I check craigslist almost daily. I narrowed my search to:
    - old town 119 guide/discovery
    - old town pack
    - manta 12
    - tarpon 120
    Ive been offered a pack and seen pictures it looks excellent, for $400, they are excellent durable boats and made of high end plastic called royalex i believe making them only 33 pounds at 12 foot long! Unless something else comes up that seems pretty good to me, half the weight of a manta or tarpon and easily twice the storage and comfortability (is that a word?) and only a little more then half the price of a simularly used manta 12.

Nice crappies dude!

PS if you wind up going with something other than that pack you were offered, pass that contact on to me if you don't mind. I'm in the market for a solo canoe as well.

Unless i find a manta 12 for under $700 im goin for thr pack
    And yeah ill pass it on to u if i dont get it.
    fishjunky likes this.

Had to check - I thought the citation length for crappie was 14" - turns out it's 16" or 2 lbs... looks like you were knocking on the door... I'm gonna have to get down to Bond real soon now... Congratulations on a great catch!
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
    the courage not to fib about it, and the wisdom to know that
    nobody would believe me anyway."

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast