Tying Deer Hair and Balsa Poppers!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer Hair and Balsa Poppers!!

Default Deer Hair and Balsa Poppers!!

I have not tied Deer hair poppers in a few yrs . I usually make foam poppers and divers. Flytyingyaker inspired me to get back to my roots and here is my labor of fun!

These poppers are size 2 and 1

The balsa poppers are next and they do work well...I had a hard hit on a bass on the purple popper ( the one Eddie tried to sneak away with) and some of the tail was damaged and not pictured.

These poppers have a tin foil skin and I dimpled the foil to look like scales

The last one is a chugger , lots of noise!

If any one wants to try their hand at this , just attend the M&G on 5-7-11

ALLEN TARHEEL FLY FLINGERS " RED X ANGLER "
    " BOWFIN ANGLER "

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Great looking flies! Fish won't have a chance against them!

Awesome flies Allen.
    RED X ANGLER

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks my friends! Really looking forward to fishing with you guys on the 7th!
    " BOWFIN ANGLER "

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Wow Allen good job.

Darrell
    Red X Angler

Nice flys. I love them. I have toyed with the idea of doing some Balsa poppers. Yours look great. Also I have never tried and make a popper out of deer hair I always do the Dahlbergs. Is there any tricks I should know when tieing a deer hair popper? Is it just the same as tying a dahlberg you just dont trim the hair down as much and make the front flat?

Great looking flys. I am still game for a bowfin/gar/bass/bream trip you just tell me when.

When finishing off the face ,you use a packing tool and push the face as flat as you can. I then get a rough trim with a razor blade and then with a fine blade curved scissors. I then use a head cement to tack the face flat, if you want a more permanent fix then use a lite coat of epoxy.Oh, I also run a few brushings of head cement right on the hook area on the bottom. This keeps the material from spinning after a few fish. I know of some famous tyers that put Flexament all in the deer hair and make it like a peice of foam. I don't like this, I prefer to leave the deer hair supple ...I think the Bass will hold on to it a bit longer.
    RouseD, and YAKATTACK FLY FLINGER like this.

" BOWFIN ANGLER "

Good deal thanks tarheel. Every time I stack a clump of deer hair oack it back and wrap thread I put a dab of cement on it. Once the fly is done it doesn't spin. Thanks for the tips.
    RouseD, and YAKATTACK FLY FLINGER like this.

Glad I could help out. You are an up and coming stand out tyer! We are going to try to get you on one of our M&G to be a guest tyer!The bows are not yet prime ...the river has flooded into the Core and it is out of its banks. When the water drops a little more then I will let you know. I hope the water will be at the right depth to cross over the beaver dams.Thats where some of the big boys live!
    Flytyingyaker likes this.

" BOWFIN ANGLER "

Great looking flies Allen...
    Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

Very very nice.
    The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Quote Originally Posted by tarheel fly flinger View Post
    Glad I could help out. You are an up and coming stand out tyer! We are going to try to get you on one of our M&G to be a guest tyer!The bows are not yet prime ...the river has flooded into the Core and it is out of its banks. When the water drops a little more then I will let you know. I hope the water will be at the right depth to cross over the beaver dams.Thats where some of the big boys live!

Sounds good. I am excited about making it up that way. I'll wait for your phone call.

Coach...I am glad to see you are going to make down for the M&G! Please bring your vice !
    " BOWFIN ANGLER "

Real nice flies Tarheel Im not ready to try some of those,maybe at the m&g. I saw a mosquito hawk on the window at work today I think Ill try to tie something that looks like that just have to wait till payday to get some more supplies. Brad
    YAKATTACK FLY FLINGER likes this.

You will be surprised to see how many kind of flies one can tie from just a few materials! Just supplies us with what you are fishing for and we can suggest what to tie from what materials you have on hand!
    " BOWFIN ANGLER "

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast