Offshore Memorial Day Fish Report

Thread: Memorial Day Fish Report

Default Memorial Day Fish Report

Sat I had the pleasure of fishing with David and his son Dylan (my father and his friend Bob joined as well). Have to say it was the worst weather I've ever had to deal with thunderstorm wise to date. Had a big cell just keep growing on us and pushing us out to sea. Water was so deep the depth-finder stopped working past 1,000'! Water was like a whirlpool...have to hand it to Dylan for toughing it out - he's a trooper. After the storm passed, we managed a wahoo and mahi...was a slow day for everyone. Had to grind it out to get David and Dylan a small taste of the action. Was a real pleasure having them aboard.

Sun gave way to better weather. Had the Oceanslayer, Nick, John and Eric aboard. Seas were very flat, almost too flay (if there is such a thing). We started out fishing about 17 miles out, picked up a little mahi and then pushed out to the Rise and trolled all the way thru Big Rock and around the 90' drop. No luck at all - other than seeing a shark and what appeared to be a small billfish jumping out of the water. We finally hooked up a few mahi south of the 14 buoy, but it just wasn't our day when it came to keeping mahi on board. Gave one back after gaffing (jumped off the gaff and back in the water), donated one to the dock monster, and pulled a few off the hook. Hopefully next time we can put more meat in the boat. We did manage a blackfin tuna and two mahi. Coming home with the other 1,000 boats was interesting when we all got to the inlet at the same time. Not a good day to be in a skiff! Thanks to all those willing to go out! Hope to do it again soon.

Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_5320.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	20261 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_5327.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	20262
    oceanslayer likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Blog Entries

Thanks for the report! I love riding in the boat on slick calm days but trolling is another matter - always seems slow - I think the fish just see the baits too well in the calm water.

nice day on the water, maybe the fish will cooperate next time...

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Saturday I got as far out as 18 miles when the storms really got bad. I sat for a while on the edge of one of the storms that was pushing along the coast line engulfing the cape. Then the storm after it started to engulf me and it included lightening so I decided to make a run back to shore. Saturday was no fun at all for me.

Sunday I made it out and as Moneyme stated it was calm seas. I trolled the 14 and ended up with a Barracuda and nice big Bonita for the dogs.

Money were you the one that gave the Mahi report for SE of the 14 sometime around 2pm or later. Said that he was trolling naked ballyhoo and having success. I pulled my teasers and skirts but got no action.

Monday I stayed close to sure and was able to get on some nice Kings..mid to upper 30". Limited out on them and ran out of bait too.

i was with moneyme and we were having some decent knockdowns on naked hoo's. but they seemed to hit a little of everything... cedar plug, islander with hoo. we missed what seemed like a nice wahoo bite on the down rigger. just a day of mishaps but overall being on the water can never be but so bad on such a nice day...

I heard the same report around 2pm from one of the boats around the 14 buoy. Wasn't me, but we were fishing about the same stuff. That storm Sat really had my attention just about the entire morning, made fishing a side note.

I did hear the "Redneck" callsign chit chatting all day. I tried calling Reelz r Screaming a few times on 68 but I was probably out too far for you (called when I was out past the rise).

I need to change my handle....It's not Moneyme...it's Mooneyme (based after the Mooney M20J aircraft I own...that I usually fly to the beach (Beaufort airport) to jump on the Double Barrel. Wish I chose Double Barrel, but didn't name the boat until after I signed up.

Name:	DSC02350.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	20316

Quote Originally Posted by Mooneyme View Post
    I heard the same report around 2pm from one of the boats around the 14 buoy. Wasn't me, but we were fishing about the same stuff. That storm Sat really had my attention just about the entire morning, made fishing a side note.

I did hear the "Redneck" callsign chit chatting all day. I tried calling Reelz r Screaming a few times on 68 but I was probably out too far for you (called when I was out past the rise).

I need to change my handle....It's not Moneyme...it's Mooneyme (based after the Mooney M20J aircraft I own...that I usually fly to the beach (Beaufort airport) to jump on the Double Barrel. Wish I chose Double Barrel, but didn't name the boat until after I signed up.

Name:	DSC02350.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	20316

Never heard you. Where exactly would the rise be located?

Mooneyme the mods or owner can change your handle if you ask nicely
    I marvel how the fishes live in the sea.
    Why, as men do a-land; the great ones eat up the little ones.
    William Shakespeare

Good to go. Changed my name to Double Barrel. Just need to get back to some double action. Going to hit lake Jordan tomorrow morning for some bass action. Nothing like driving 7 minutes to get fishing.

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements