6/15/11 Oceanana Pier report (first Cobia!!)

Thread: 6/15/11 Oceanana Pier report (first Cobia!!)

Default 6/15/11 Oceanana Pier report (first Cobia!!)

Drove down to catch the sunset bite and stay the night for the morning bite and some night fishing. I got there at around 6, the spanish bite was good but nothing special and they were smaller, I got about six in the cooler and lost one really nice smack. water was semi clear and the wind was low but coming from the north so i knew the morning was going to be nice. Night fishing was fun, there were a ton of bait in the water and i watched a few sharks get decked and a nice blue. The bite for spanish picked up at about 4:40am and didn't stop for a few hours, great sized spanish, great fights, every cast it was fun. bite stopped at 6 when the dolphins decided to play right were the spanish were running through. stuck around plugging for a while and saw one of the large rays with Cobias tailing it came through and i was able to sight cast to it and immediately got a hook up. great fight on a 37in cobia, no pier net to so i had to beach him hahah. Great day on the water, my first cobia, best fight and biggest fish of my life so far! got the cobia on a 4oz pink spro tipped with a 6in white grub 50lb fluro leader on 30lb sufix braid. fun day.

Matt

now my next plan is to get a cast net and grab some live shrimp they were jumping all over at night but i had no way to get them. Im from Greenville and would like to know the closest area that I could find some that are eating size, also what size net should i get diameter and 1/2'' or 3/8''. it would be great if i could use the net for bait as well.

Native 12 Ultimate Angler

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Nice spanish and cobia! I caught my first cobia about that size out of my kayak and it pulled me all over it was a blast. As for a cast net I like the 3/8" because shrimp and finger mullet can escape from the 1/2". Brad

wish i could have come along on this one! lets go again soon

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

nice catch
    I only fish on the days that end in "Y" ...Red X Angler- Bleed BLUE RedFish 14

Go with the 3/8th inch mesh. 1/2 inch is for larger bait, usually in deeper water and it will sink much faster. 3/8th keeps smaller fish and shrimp in.
    RED X ANGLER

The smaller diameter nets are easier to throw, if you've never done it before.

I think a 5' is a pretty good compromise on size for your first net, as far as being able to cover plenty of water, but keeping it fairly simple to throw.

As others have said, 3/8" mesh is the way to go.

Also, if you're new to it, check out YouTube for some throwing methods. There are some great instructional videos on there.

How long was the biggest Spanish? Looked like you had two really nice ones. I'm surprised they let you out there with that many rods. Normally they will give you a hard time.

Great looking mess of fish...congrats

<*))))>{
    Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

Those are some really nice spanish!
    H2ohhh, Dr. H, Judge H...what the H? Nucanoe Frontier 12.

Blog Entries

NICE! Congratulations!

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements