smallies ( and 1 walleye) with wings....A major spanking
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: smallies ( and 1 walleye) with wings....A major spanking

Default smallies ( and 1 walleye) with wings....A major spanking

I met up with wingsdlc this morning for some smallie action. Started off kinda dreary and moist, cloud cover stayed with us all day long. Temps in the high 60's made it feel like a fall day. I led the way with my ritual underwater dance I normally start off with. This attracts trophies and scares away competing fishermen. Wings came out swinging with a walleye on a saltwater pattern, and pretty much owned his guide all day, He did show mercy on the poor guy by letting him use a clouser that seemed to be the color of the day. He must of felt sorry for me, with my other underwater dances I performed so HE could catch all the fish I did catch one other rock bass ( read: snag, literally) but to my credit I did put the hurt on a nice 16-18" smallie.....no really. Anyway, nice fishing with ya Doug! Btw, there is a photo I am putting up fish that shows the water level and color of the French Broad.

Red X angler

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Blog Entries

Nice report, thanks for the info and pictures!

No really? A 16 inch smallmouth? I didn't see anything! I did hear the reaction though.

Great report Tom and thanks again for taking me along. I read it to my wife last night and even she found humor in it (highly abnormal when it comes to fishing). Thanks a ton for guiding me. I had a blast. There are just a couple of detail I would like to get right though.

1st - I don't think there was just one underwater dance.
    2nd - I offered to give you a fly that worked for at least an hour before you took one! Talk about pride issues! = )

Here are a couple of pictures from my perspective. First, this is what the fishing trip saved me from.

Largemouth or Spotted Bass - forgot to check the tongue again. It looked like a largemouth though.

Here was my first smallmouth with the magic fly. I am glad Tom didn't catch me catching bait....

Last but not least.... Tom did catch a smallmouth on one of my flies.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

oh I know I did more than one subsurface jig and you did ask me several times to try your clouser, but when you get my age, you get grouchy. Anyway, putting clients on fish is what a good guide does. Fortunately, I am a good guide.......occasionally but I am going to blame my fishlessness on replacing my intermediate line with my floater. I thought we would have some top water action, and I just couldn't get my flies deep enough. I'll stick to that excuse.

Red X angler

wings and tom, awesome pics, and looks like a fun fishing trip.
    RED X ANGLER

Firetiger color clousers are deadly on smallies.
    gambusia, and RouseD like this.

Man... I don't know if the floating line is going to cut it... I was using a floating line too! = )

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Tom, I have had the pleasure of fishing with Wings a few times myself He recently pulled out a super nice LMB after I had given up the lake for a lost cause.

Wings congrats on the cover page again. After New River let me know if you need some help one day on the room, or maybe another rescue day
    Red X Angler

I think you made the right decision on the fishing trip, I'll bet that project was there when you got back.
    Red X Angler

"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught." ~Author Unknown

The project was right where I left it. Things are coming along really well. The baby room and kitchen got painted today. Now I have to move the heating and cooling, back splash, flooring, and trim. My goal is to be done in two weeks. I am going to have to bust tail to do it but it will be nice once it is finished.

dbeam - I think I might have to take you up on a fishing day/evening/morning/something again.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

sure thing I will get up with you when I get back from New River

Darrell
    Red X Angler

Fun stuff! Call me next time you head out!

Looks like a great day on the water. Great looking colors on that clouser...

<*)))>{
    Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

Wings, what weight eyes did you use? I tied up one for the New River trip, but decided to use small bead chain eyes, since I will be using my 4 wt fly rod. The bead chain eyes were lighter than the smallest lead eyes I had. I used a size 4 hook, Hope that isn't too heavy for it. Will not get the chance to try it pryor to the trip. Leaving in the morning.
    dbeam likes this.

RED X ANGLER

RouseD - The eyes are size small (1/40th oz.). I tie these ones up at the new river trip last year. A member from this sight fished the New a week before our trip last year and killed them on that color combo. Fished it a couple of times but it never paid off. A black bugger was the key last year. It took me a year to try them again. Good thing I did.

Good luck this weekend!

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast