NC Angler Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shocking news

10K views 73 replies 21 participants last post by  Jeffonc 
#1 ·
i found this when looking for a Wilson's Creek hatch chart on Google to keep handy so i wouldn't have to look every time before i go for the hatches. some of yall might have heard of this but i thought i needed to post it.i try to go to wilson's to fly fish but never really can and i know some others fish there and wanted to share so others are more cautious at Wilson's Creek and all other places where fisherman fish. very tragic news and i no i will be more cautious now fishing on moving water especially wadding and hope others will too. yall should take a look below
http://www.tarheelflyfishing.com/2010/04/tragic-day-on-wilson-creek.html

#41 ·
24/7,

Use your hipboots but make sure you are no deeper than knee deep especially in water with flow. If you need to go thigh deep save your money and get some waist waders. No fish is worth the risk of drowning. I forgo waders entirely in all but the coldest water.

#44 ·
for what it's worth.......I Regularly fall in flows like the Tuck and the S. Holston:D wear the belt! While I have never had my waders " fill" with water, it's nice not having it get past the belt. I have been swept away, totally submerged, while wearing waders ( My best friend will vouch for it, opening day, 1994, on the tuck) I had no problem swimming out with waders on. May have been my abilities ( taught swimming for the red cross and used to lifeguard) may have been just me not panicking.... I never forget my belt.

#46 ·
In a serious current, in a creek, is not an easy place to swim with a drysuit and a PFD on. Cool weather and waders full of cold water and someone would be so far out of any sort of comfort zone, there is a seriously high chance of things going bad.

There is a lot of innocuous stuff in even some of he smaller creeks that can be dangerous in a screw up scrambling over some boulders and falling in. Unlikely, yes.

#47 ·
YOU DO NOT WANT TO WEAR BELTS AROUND THE TOP OF YOUR HIP BOOTS. If you fall in wearing hip boots then you want to be able to slip out of them so that you can swim to an area where you can stand up. YOU DO WANT TO WEAR A BELT WHEN WEARING CHEST WADERS UNLESS THE WADERS ARE SO TIGHT ON YOUR BIG BELLY THAT NO WATER CAN GET IN. If you are surf fishing in November/December/January when then you should have a dry top of some sort that extends past the top of your waders and then you have a belt around this. This will prevent the water when a wave crunches you from going down your waders.

#48 ·
agree wityh slickrocktom.....when i fell in with open end of waders pointed upstream the water rused in filled the waders and them my waders were like a sail and i was at the mecy of the river.....i didnt have my belt on..........wear a belt!

Reactions: RouseD
#71 ·
There's no shortage of amateur "mythbusters" on youtube jumping in pools, lakes and rivers with waders on. Wading belts, no wading belts, PFD's or not, neoprene, rubber, breathable, vests or not, hip boots ..... none of them have drowned.

Honestly, there's risk in walking out your front door. You would be much safer buying a fishing video game and staying in your living room. Quit worrying about it and fish for goodness sakes.

#51 ·
the bad thing with my hip waders is, there is a backpack type strap on them at the very top of both legs and a crappy rubber strap that doesnt work on both thighs.for the hip waders to stay up i have to tie the backpack type strap to something above waders.so lets say my backpack with stuff in it like my net.is what i tie my waders to right now.whats the safest way to keep my waders up?because tying the strap to my backpack is extremely dangerous.

#56 ·
sure. right now it's too blasted hot (IMO) I usually wade wet from May-Late sept. Of course, I love being cold, you might not like it.. My exception to the rule is the Watauga and S. Holston. I have nearly froze to death on summer days on the SOHO. That water is cruel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.