NC Angler Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shocking news

10K views 73 replies 21 participants last post by  Jeffonc 
#1 ·
i found this when looking for a Wilson's Creek hatch chart on Google to keep handy so i wouldn't have to look every time before i go for the hatches. some of yall might have heard of this but i thought i needed to post it.i try to go to wilson's to fly fish but never really can and i know some others fish there and wanted to share so others are more cautious at Wilson's Creek and all other places where fisherman fish. very tragic news and i no i will be more cautious now fishing on moving water especially wadding and hope others will too. yall should take a look below
http://www.tarheelflyfishing.com/2010/04/tragic-day-on-wilson-creek.html

#2 ·
Ive seen that happen to guys on the surf before! Trout fishin in november takin a fish off and was watching the waves and one caught him and knocked him over,in a split second his wader were full and his friends luckily,were close enough to grab him. He was helpless!! Thats a very sad story and one everyone needs to take heed to! Wear a belt at least!

#3 ·
on that link the comments said something about no belts, belts are bad i think, and waders don't really affect it floating or sinking they become neutral?is that true?

#8 ·
Anytime you are fishing with waders on no matter in freshwater or saltwater there is a danger of drowning should you fall in and become submerged. Unless your waders are form fitting(fat guys like me know what I mean) you should have a belt cinched tight to keep water out if you fall in.​

#10 ·
Hey guys,

The gentleman that commented on my blog made an excellent point. Evidently, if you wear a wading belt, air gets trapped around your legs. If you happen to fall into deeper water, physics takes over and the air filled lower part of your waders floats up and your upper body/head goes under. Once that happens, rocks under the surface can easily knock you unconscious. Now, there's controversy over this of course, as some folks don't buy into it and some folks do. Either way, it's dangerous if you look at it. Wearing a belt and falling in could lead to the mentioned scenario, while not wearing a belt and falling in would result in your waders quickly filling with water
(thus making it hard to stay afloat).

I always wear my waders waist high with a belt (if they're chest waders, roll them down to the waist). That way, if I'm approaching deeper water (that requires chest highs), I'm reminded it's not worth the try, so I find a route around.

#11 ·
To avoid air being trapped in your wader, wade into the water up to at least your crotch then put your belt on. The force of the water will force any air from out the top of your waders. Personally I have never been worried about air in waders. In fact I remember a National publication that said if you fell in with waders on the air trapped around your feet will keep you from drowning if you essentially curl up with your feet raised.

#12 ·
Tarheelflyfishing...... are you the like moderator, admin on the tar heel fly fishing forum? saw you on the blog i found.then on this post, then you sent me a pm for welcome when i registered on tar heel fly fishing forum, small world if it were you all 3 times:)

#13 ·
I'm not concerned about air or water in my waders. You're waders would have to be really loose to allow enough air to float your lower body (conscious), and if they fill with water they are neutrally buoyant. They will restrict your movement, but they won't drag you down. No belts here.

The real danger is falling, cracking your head on a rock and passing out, or getting pulled down by a thrusting current in a deep hole. It's not the waders, it's the lack of consciousness that will drown you.

#16 ·
i'm not concerned about air or water in my waders. You're waders would have to be really loose to allow enough air to float your lower body (conscious), and if they fill with water they are neutrally buoyant. They will restrict your movement, but they won't drag you down. No belts here.
The real danger is falling, cracking your head on a rock and passing out, or getting pulled down by a thrusting current in a deep hole. It's not the waders, it's the lack of consciousness that will drown you.
i believe you are dangerously wrong with this statement

#14 ·
Guess you can call me the 'Forum Chicken' when it comes to waders. In cold water I will use waist waders but even then will not venture more than mid thigh in them....and I'm a certified Lifeguard.

#15 ·
yeah i mean im 17 and more worried about what sky hawk said than waders becoming legs buoyant or the extra weight if i get pulled under i think i could teenage it to shore or a rock unless its a raging river.now my waders suck my brother bought them way back like 5 years ago from walmart and they would definitively get enough air to float my legs and i have to tie the waders backpack type strap to my backpack strap with my net and other stuff in backpack that is the only thing concerning me that the 2 are connected and would really mess me up and is very dangerous i never thought of it like that.but im going to find a safer way to hold them up.the only way my waders stay up is if i tie the strap to something else above the waders or they fall down. dont have the money to buy better waders.any suggestions on something on my chest to attach strap to?they are pro gear dark green size 9 with white fuzzy bottom if anyone knows of them.

#17 ·
i mean it probably adds more weight.what do you think it does?i needa figure this out so i dont get hurt or worse, god forbid.because i got a real bad situation with my waders

#18 ·
Haven't done it in a couple of years, but when I uesed my kayk in the winter, in Eastern NC, I would wear my waders, and put a balt up high on my chest. I would also use a good PFC over the top of the bib. Never fell in, but I would think that would keep your head up high, if a fall were to happen. Love to have everyone's input here.

#20 ·
IMHO, the important aspect is not the bouyancy of the waders, it's the drag. In still water, they'll impede movement, and make it difficult to come up out of the water, but I don't believe they'll "pull you down". In moving water, though, they'll drag you whichever direction the water's moving -- downstream, out to sea, or under the water. Most of us have at least flirted with learning how hard moving water can push... it's incredible...

#26 ·
i have had this debate before and the myth is not a myth.....i have fallen in with loose open waders an if you are in current you and your waders can act like a sail and can get you drug downstream .....it has happened to me.....

what i didnt realize is that wilson crekk had 20" deep water....is this true?..........

Reactions: gambusia and RouseD
#27 ·
not sure about the depths but you can see the color of the bottom down to 6+ feet most of the time, and many of the holes are pitch dark. Most thought aren't that big as long as you didn't get hung up on some obstacle in the water you should wash out to the shallow end fairly quickly but a trip through would still be very dangerous.

I always carry a wading staff

Darrell

#32 ·
World is full of dumb people.

Folks won't wear seat belts (or wading belts), motorcycle helmets, etc.. yet they eat low carb diets and drink $2 bottles of water.

Darwin was onto something perhaps.

Good brief article below.

http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?subject=5769

Anyone reading this thread that is new to fly fishing, understand this...

Wearing a wading belt is standard, not optional. It is just as much a piece of required equipment as the fly rod itself. Some posts in this thread offer horrible advice that is not only in bad taste, but in certain circumstances could get someone killed. If you are wearing waders while skip scotching around some tiny stream, that is one thing. Admittingly, your risk of drowning (while there) are lessened. If you are fishing moving water, rivers of even medium flow, or in the ocean, it is a different matter all together. I have fished in NC, Alaska, Nantucket, and many places in between. I have yet to see any fly fisherman wading around without a belt. It is the standard and for good reason.

For you big boys, look for a bigger wading belt. The ones that come with waders are fit for children. I am 6'5" 300 lbs and needed more support. I found my solution in the Fish Pond belt. Much more comfortable and has little rings you can attach some gear to if desired.

-Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.