NC Angler Forums banner

Help me choose a boat under 20k

21K views 136 replies 21 participants last post by  LINC FiShEr 
#1 ·
hey all, im going to be buying a new boat to replace my 17ft trihull with 85 hp johnson. it has just become a pain with maintenance due to its age, i believe the engine is a '76 and ill get more of what i need buying a new one that restoring this one, i bought it for only three grand about 10 years ago and its not in the best shape, i rewired it when i was 15 so the wiring is good and works fine, but the engine has many leaks, takes a couple min to get started and usually floods and must be drained once or twice a trip. the carpet is **** near non existent, and a lot of the deck fiberglass is cracking or broken.....

always wanted a bass boat but now being out here i have to think about inshore fishing. i have a 20k price range, can go a tiny bit over but dont want to unless its for electronics or upgrades, because i would like the final cost, with a good gps sonar, and hopefully gps powered foot controlled trolling motor.

what i want is a boat that is all around best suited for the following

bass fishing (getting into skinny water and getting there fast)

inshore fishing (dont know what kind of swells/waves im looking at experiencing but most bass boats without big gunnels really dont seem like they could handle that kind of water)

wakeboarding/ tubing (i dont care about the wake produced by the hull/engine combo, im no pro wakeboarder and never aspire to be, but if my 85hp johnson on my trihul can pull a wakeboarder or tuber im sure most boats can, with the addition of those removable tow rope pyramid deals that mount above the engine, thats what we added to our boat and it worked fine

those are my primary goals, i am primarily a bass guy, but im staying in coastal nc for at least four more years and will require the ability to do a lot of fishing for reds and trout and such. but i dont want a boat that becomes unfriendly for bass fishing. i like a lot of walkable deck space like bass boats offer, and the very shallow draft, but also need a boat that can take whatever waves you all deal with doing inshore fishing, and maybe heading a mile or two out. ive never done ANY kind of vessel bourne salty fishing and dont know at all what hull is best for what etc. i definately want it to be moderately fast but i dont need to be hitting 94 mph anytime soon! i also want the ablility to pull people on tubes and wakeboards, so clearly want some horsepower, but seating accomodations are nil in my book, if i can only hold a driver/passenger thats fine, but if i can fit a few more people without compromising much walkable/fishable boat space thats fine too.....

remember im mainly a bass guy and definately want as skinny drafting of a boat as possible, also keeping the ability to hit the flats and inshore areas. ive seen some redfishing shows where the boats basically look like bass boats that were outfitted with a platform and saltwater trollingmotor and such....

help me out please!!! like i said 20k is my price cap, and i would like to buy a boat that is fully outfitted for that price... i have thought about used as well but ive never got anything like this new in my life and would like to avoid all the problems that are associated with used boats this time around......

also i have a v6 2wd ford explorer and dont want to have to buy a truck to pull this boat. i know its rated for like 6000 lb i think but has 175k mi on the engine and tranny and i dont want to burn that out too early!!!

thanks guys

See less See more
#4 ·
A skiff or bayboat is what you'll want. A true flats boat will not quite do all you want . probably limited to 17ft for new in that price range. A carolina skiff 178dlv or maybe a jvx sportsman model. Might check out the Key Largos too. Another option might be to go aluminum for that price you can get pretty sweet!

Reactions: Rod Wielder
#5 ·
I would say a bay boat would be the best bet for the bass, shallow water, and near shore capabilities. A skiff would definitely fit the bill and more in line with price range, won't be the best wake boarding boat though. I think a lot of people are replacing their bonified bass boats with bay boats to add salt water to the mix.

#8 ·
ok with the skiff will i be able to mount some type of raised towrope to pull people? and how deep do they draft usually (are they as skinny as a bass boat). and for yall saying lots of guys are trading there bass boats for skiffs what limitations does the bass boat have? - cant take rough water? not as stable? etc...... also it looks like im sacrificing a higher casting deck going with the skiff, i definately like that for sight fishing as in a bass boat it seems you stand much higher off the water.....

i know you guys gave me boat makes and links but an actual experienced persons description of what a skiff will give me that a bass boat wont would be greatly appreciated. also after checking ebay and some other things i found that i can get pretty good shape used boats that are much better accomodated, would you guys trust buying a boat of that level of investment new? obviously i would do an on water run, make sure engine runs good and hull in good shape. also all electronics are good and such but would like some advice on that also.

thanks, please keep in mind i really want to be able to pull my woman on a wakeboard so i dont have her nagging me to buy a dedicated wakeboarding boat in a few years haha. but i want a good fishing boat you know.....

thanks guys i know im being picky but its my first big investment besides my house so i want to approach it right

#9 ·
Well here are some main differences I can think of.

A skiff is going to be able to hold much more weight than a bass boat will. (I assume)
In my opinion a skiff will draw less water than a bass boat.
A bass boat will have more compartmental storage.
A bass boat will be faster.
I easily think you could mount a tow bar to the back of a skiff, there are several marine fabrication places that could do this for you.

In my opinion, I think your best bet would be a bay boat. something along the lines of this.
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/boa/2486139535.html

A bay boat is going to give you little smoother ride than a skiff but you will still be able to draw a fairly shallow draft. You will also be able to take it into the ocean, back in the sounds, lakes, rivers, and the like.

Also, I have a used boat and the only thing I have had to do to it is replace some wiring and get new batteries. Other than that it has been very good. Most people trying to sell their boats will have papers showing where they have kept up the service on it.

Good luck and I hope you can find something that you will make many memories with! :)

#10 ·
my 21 ft seapro bay sv2100 draws approximately 10-12" engine up 18-20" engine down at rest. high front deck with seat and troller just like a bassboat and enough rear deck to add a swivelseat and cast from there as well. 2 livewell/baitwells and one fishbox, one rod storage box. I would bank I can do anything a bassboat can do except I limit out at 43mph with a 150 Merc 2 stroke. Boat is rated for a 200 and I have read 52mph with a 200 is average. It will turn on a dime running wide open unlike a skiff which will slide around if you cut the wheel much on plane so its a better hull design for skiing/tubing.
If you go with a skiff adding a hydrofoil and trim tabs helps it turn better..
Dont be afraid of a well documented/maintained used boat.
It's a buyer market in this economy and people are selling off toys and they have already taken the "hit" on depreciation.. Not to hard to get financing on a used boat when you are military also..

Reactions: Rod Wielder
#11 ·
I am thinking skiff or bayboat would be your best bet, I dont know alot about them but I do know bass boats very well. A bass boat would probably not be a good choice for anything involving saltwater. Generally a bassboat is made for freshwater use, somethings on board may not be a corrosion proof as what you might find on a boat more geared for inshore saltwater, also having carpet, it would be a major pain to keep washed down after going in the saltwater, saturated carpet will take several days to dry and it would probably take alot of washing to get the salt out. Also any late model bass boat in your price range would probably be on the small side (17 ft) which would not be the best choice for bigger water you might encounter on the sounds or just outside the inlet. I ran my 21 ft in some big water (guessing 3-4 ft waves) up on the Potomac river, I wouldnt want to do that all the time in my boat let alone anything smaller. A bay boat or skiff will have fewer bells and whistles, therefore you can probably afford a bigger boat within you budget. I do know several guys who bass fish from bay boats, they are hindered a little bit at times but get by. Having higher profile sides make them a little harder to control in the wind.

#12 ·
If I was in the market for a new boat or used: I would 1st call Mark Vitters. He is the owner of the factory in Bladenboro NC that builds Savannah Skiff (and Chaos) boats and also builds the Aegis boats. Aegis are built on the McKee Craft molds. Savannah Skiff you can buy factory direct at a good price. For used - I'd be searching for a McKee Craft and have my mechanic go over both the boat and engine. Anything would have a Yamaha or Merc power as my mechanic prefers these. Although McKee Craft went out of business in 2009 there are still a very few never titled ones out there. My '04 17' Backwater is rated to 115 hp but has a 90 will do 30+ and a draft of 8" if the lower unit is up. My next will be the Aegis if I can afford it or a Savannah. BTW, the 17 ran 4' seas recently for 8 miles with no problem although 2 - 3 is more comfortable. A V hull is made now by almost all skiff makers and is suggested for a smoother ride.
The designers of the original Boston Whalers were the McKee brothers. The McKee Craft are known as 'the unsinkables'.

#13 ·
i see some of these boats have livewells, but as far as storage it looks like none at all? is there any with a good amount of storage

#14 ·
more questions.... it seems people must love their carolina skiffs cause i cant find many used, anyone know a good place to look besides boattrader, ebay and craigslist?

im pretty much sold on a 198dlv with 115, but i would like to see an engine performance test for that size on that boat, all i found on their site was the 90 hp running it at 40 mph at 8mpg i wanna see how the 115 does in case im pulling my fat *** behind the boat

#15 ·
90 is common on those because it was the low price package deal. Definitely go with a 115! On the Yamahaand I "think" the Suzuki It is the exact same engine as the 90hp so it weighs the same only difference is the computer controls the fuel and timing to allow more rpm and make more power. Check with Chatlee in Sanford and ask what they have. Dont trust the boat dealer websites as i found quickly most of them dont list alot of what they have in stock or may have on consignment. Had I not gone with the sea pro I would have done the 198 or 218dlv myself but even used they are pricey... They can be configured different ways because all of the decks, storage etc. are bolt ons rather than cast with the hullcaps so you can make changes even in used boats with different factory decks.. Different levels from Kit Boats to the Elite series gives lots of options depending on what you want to spend as well..

#16 ·
I cant find the **** msrp of the 198 anywhere, what price range am i looking at new?

#17 ·
you wont find it. Carolina skiff keeps the dealers very tight lipped and they lose there rights to sell if they publish it w/o CS consent. 23-28K new

#18 ·
**** and that's for the 198? Pricey for such a simple boat

#19 ·
problem with a new boat is the 12-15k just for the motor and controls. 4k worth of trailer and 6k for fiberglass and goodies.. adds up quick.. You find specials sometimes under 20k but its usually a bare bones minimally powered rig. Wootens in Rocky Mount had some Key Largo bayboats under 20k new, that was about all I could find under $20k new 18ft or larger in fiberglass when I was shopping.

#21 ·
oh the used deals are out there. he was asking about new boats under 20k. Theres a sea pro sv2100 just like mine for 10,800 on eastern CL would make someone a nice ride! but we were discussing new. Which will be hard to do for under 20k

#23 ·
Just my two cents here, but I really like my boat. I have a 17 foot Logic center console with a 90 Yamaha two stroke. It has a Motorguide saltwater trolling motor and a Garmin 300 fishfinder, and a sits on a galvanized trailer. I fish Lake Norman and sometimes make it to the coast. What I like about it is that it is light, fuel efficient, and is nearly indestructible. It is made of plastic, like the stuff plastic barrels and kayaks are made out of, so it just bounces off things that would tear up fiberglass(docks or rocks). It has no wood so it will not rot. Ever. It is unsinkable as it is filled with foam and the plastic is less dense than water. There is no gelcoat so I dont worry about polishing. Just scrub it with a brush and soap and water on occassion. If I am in fresh water I dont even bother hosing it down. Top speed is around 40 mph but I rarely open it up so much. I fish for bass and cats, also pull people on tubes and skis. When I go to the coast I can go out go out up to 10 miles out if the wind isnt bad. Its a great inshore boat. Only thing I wish it had was more storage room. There are two storage lockers up from that are also a casting platform and the rear seats also are good for casting. My boat is a 1999 and Logic is now called Triumph. I picked mine up for $5600 and put about $1000 into it to update it to my specifications, which included rod holders and a bimini top. Look up Triumph boats. Dave

#26 ·
I definately like that style of bay boat, it's similar to the Carolina skiff bayboats. But it just doesn't seem like it can take big water any better than a bass boat. Looks like if I was taking any swells I'd be filling it up with water

#27 ·
I can see that. Your problem will be in the compromise, something that rides shallow enough for the flats, but stands tall enough for the waves. I have considered Mako, a tahoe runabout (ski/fish), and a New Water boat that floats in 5-6 inches for myself. I'm not worried about the coast, and probably won't pull the trigger until I move back home. I like the New Water (unknown retail) for myself, and my wife likes the runabout idea (about 22g).

Wanna head out to the river one morning next week?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.