Offshore Double Barrel fishing report SEP 3rd out of MHC
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double Barrel fishing report SEP 3rd out of MHC

Default Double Barrel fishing report SEP 3rd out of MHC

I was delighted to have Rod, Rob, Cathy and Misty with me today as we headed out for some deep water trolling action. Smooth sailing on the way out - for those going out watch for the hurricane trash line about 2 miles shy of the 14 buoy. I saw two large pillars floating that would probably do some serious damage if hit.

We started trolling around the 90' drop - pushed out to the Big Rock and turned south to the Rise. Early on we had the shotgun line pull off - ended up being a brave bonita out in 200' water (don't usually catch them in the deep). Misty got to pull that one in with a little help from Rob.

We had a few bite-offs and then the downrigger started going crazy....and I mean the whole thing. We were in about 550' of water so I knew it wasn't hitting bottom. Ended up being a big wahoo that was caught on the 10 pound weight. Talk about crankin' in a fish!

We finally hit a good school of mahi, 4 lines go off, we hooked 3. These fellas were well rehearsed and had all our lines tangled. One broke off at the boat but we slung the other two in.

The wind started to pick up out of the North, made for some steep waves so we headed in. Rod and Cathy were celebrating their anniversary and I think the 2 mahi knew that given their affection in the photo!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_0336.jpg‎
Views:	2114
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	31623 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_0341.jpg‎
Views:	176
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	31624 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_0339.jpg‎
Views:	156
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	31625 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_0331.jpg‎
Views:	147
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	31626 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_0335.jpg‎
Views:	164
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	31627

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Great post DB

with what your doing your putting lots of smiles on peoples faces..seems like each year we go on vacation we end up talking about a charter trip but when there is 2 of us and most captians want 6 it never happens.,with the cost of fuel and your love for fishing your giving a great day on the water at a affordable price.

Best of luck tomorrow

Jackson Cuda 12 --------Black widow
    Native Manta ray 12 --------- Camo

Double Barrel is a first class host. First Class vessel too. We have much appreciation for him, and our time with him. Rob & Misty WVYaker were fine fishin' partners too. An excellent time spent with good folks.

Happy Anniversary to us (33 years)!

Plus Fishin'!
    RW

"You go fishin' for the outing, and if you catch fish, that's a Plus" - Old Gray Father 'Wild Bill' Elliott. [Faith, Family, Friends, Fishin' - RW]

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Awesome catch, looks like you guys had a great time.
    Rod Wielder, and WVYaker like this.

I will agree, Double Barrel is first class all the way around!!!

Thanks you Double Barrel for a wonderful day on the water. Even though Misty was feeling bad she commented to me on the way home how much fun she had.
    Mr and Mrs Wielder it was a pleasure meeting and fishing with you, enjoy that catamaran and keep me posted how it does on the ocean.
    Rod Wielder likes this.

Thanks DB for the report and pics, looks like everyone had a great day on the water. One of these days I might hitch a ride with you and have some good fishing and fellowship. george

Is it just me or do some of you just keep buying fishing gear to no end? 3 more custom rods, another reel and one more dredge today. Hey, you can't take the money with you! I think every fish I catch is worth about $300! Loving it.

Im with ya DB....and once the weather looks good for a Saturday or Sunday run I'll help you test out those new rod/reels!!!
    Donald Bailey
    Scream'n Reelz

Weather is looking rough for this weekend

Maybe I'll hang my new dredge over the deck and see if attracts anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
    Weather is looking rough for this weekend

Maybe I'll hang my new dredge over the deck and see if attracts anything.
    But it looks great for Thursday! If 2' or less I'll be near shore, more and in the ICW. Getting my boat through the inlet in more than that is a problem. Have to get my 'fishin fix' as I'll be visiting the VA doctors up north for 10 days or so. A rotten way to end Sept but hope Oct/Nov are productive. When do you shut down for the winter DB?
    Red X Angler

I will most likely winterize the boat the first week of December. Wish I had outboards to go after the bluefin tuna. Last gear they were all just north of us, maybe this year they will come down.

I hear the white marlin bite is crazy good out of OI. Some boats
    Coming back with 20+ flags (27 was the record a few days ago).
    Crabby Captain John likes this.

DB, you mean Ocracoke Island (OI)?

Quote Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
    Wish I had outboards to go after the bluefin tuna. Last gear they were all just north of us, maybe this year they will come down.
    Last year we heard about two that were caught. A tough winter. Anyway, feel free to jump on with us when we go out -- which is usually 3-5 times a week during the season, in the past. The crew is now getting degrees so I don't know what the schedule will be right now. (Just shows, let those guys get degrees and you have to start planning stuff...)

Thanks,
    James
    * StormCatcher - Sea Hunt Triton 260; Twin 150 Yamaha 4-strokers pushin Red X Anglers
    * Please support our heros @[COLOR=Blue]. RFA Member

Why do you need outboards to go after bluefin??
    Donald Bailey
    Scream'n Reelz

Ericb - Oregon Inlet.
    Reelz - Don't need outboards at all- has to do with winterizing. Outboards really don't require winterizing the way inboards do (water in the engine block). There are certainly ways to keep heat on inboard engines (a 100w light bulb is reported as being enough for most of the winter) but I don't live near my boat and it's not worth the risk. Plus I'd have to keep buying more fishing gear (need some real heavy tackle to land a big bluefin).

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast