12-26-11 Fontana report

Thread: 12-26-11 Fontana report

Default 12-26-11 Fontana report

12-26-11 Had a couple of hours this afternoon so started about 2:30 at Lemmons Br. Have been trolling and jigging lately so started off looking for fishable schools. After about an hour of looking and not finding decided to try something different. Went across from point 9 to some points and marked a few fish, but never more than one or two, so tried a fnf off the bank and then a crankbait with no luck. Switched to a small fluke on an eighth oz head and put her 30 feet deep. Took forever for it to get to bottom, but then just bounce it back out to 50-60 feet and at some point you'd feel that tick, just like a crappie. Had time to fish three points and caught 10 fish with 3 then 3 then 4 off consecutive points. Couple of nice fish with equal numbers of spots and smallies. Hooked and lost half again that many, would just lose feel of jig and couldn't catch up for a good hookset. Was good to cast to fish for a change so will plan on this for the next couple of trips. Never saw any bait schools, must be down lake. Water at 55 deg. and it's come back up a few feet. Later, Capt. James
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	12-26-11 fluke jr..jpg‎
Views:	74
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	34972 Click image for larger version.

Name:	12-26-11 Fontana spot.jpg‎
Views:	59
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	34973 Click image for larger version.

Name:	12-26-11 smallie.jpg‎
Views:	63
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	34974
    Abert43, gambusia, jhs413, and logs like this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

nice catch.

I dont know how you did it, but i would have gone crazy waiting for the lure (1/8) to get to the bottom. By the way where is Fontana?
    Life's to short to only fish on weekends

It's about an hour west of Asheville. The northern border of the lake is the southern border of the Great Smokies National Park. By the way, my sis and family, Julia and Al Love live in Fay. we were raised in Red Springs. It is one beautiful lake, has smallmouth, walleye, spots, crappie, channel cats, whites, Largemouth and trout.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Good catch and thanks for the report.

Captain I am thinking about heading up Lemon Br. tomorrow 12/30. Think it would be worth the time?

It's always better than not going. The only thing is that they are almost never in the same place two days in a row, so you just have to look around a while. I have started to ride more and just quickly look for bait and keep moving til you find something. Sometimes you mark fish, but if you are marking bait they are not far away. I go from Lemon, then check the mouth of Alarka, Greasy Br. flats then Tsali, Windy pt, on to the Tuck, Jenny , then Forney and Goldmine, occasionally just stop in the channel and see if there are any bait balls. The fish Mon. were the exception, so you have to keep an open mind. My all-time secret was some Indian friends in Cherokee that I used to work with,,,, if you saw two boats of those guys together, that's where the fish were. They have been biting better in the afternoon for me, so good luck!

I agree, worst day on the lake beats the best day at work. Wind is going to get up tomorrow may have to wait until Saturday. It is about 2hrs one way for me to fish the upper end. We havent got on them this year, but we have caught a few. Hopefully things will change when the water cools down. It is hard to say if it will this year. Thanks again for the info. Been a big help for us this year. Hope to see ya on the lake sometime.

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements