NC Angler Forums banner

Tarheel Fly Flinger M&G

17K views 107 replies 22 participants last post by  tarheel fly flinger 
#1 ·
We will have our winter/spring meeting at Bay River Campground on March 10th. We will have a guest speaker on Kayak Fishing the Eastern Marshes and Flats!! The speaker will be one of our own on this site!! JDHD has a kayak guide service in the areas around Slocum Creek, he also guides around the Haystacks and Carrott Island . His guiding service is called TCCKA (Taylor Crystal Coast kayak Adventures). This young man can really put the fish in the yak!! We will also have some of the Flinger members tie Shad ,Spec Trout flies . Time is getting close to fresh water fishing as well. If there is a fly you would like to see just let me know and we will try to demo the tie.

In March of 09 I caught my largest Trout to date . It was caught not far from the campground ! There should be time to fish for trout before the meeting part of the program.There will be Sausage Dogs and Chilli after the meeting and as usual no charges .... please come on down (you don't have to be a member ). If you just want to learn more about fly fishing and kayaking , this will be a great start!! Here are a couple of pics last year from Bay River

See less See more
#30 ·
Hello T.F.F......Is this the right place:

Bay River Campground
682 Weaver Camp Road Merritt, NC 28556

Dunno if I will be up in NC in March or not, but it would be fun to fish some NC saltwater, so I'll pencil this one the calendar just in case....Thanks!!
JohnYaksJax

PS: Oops....I had not seen Jeffonc's answer above...sorry....

#35 ·
It really depends on weather.... if it is not good we will meet most of the day. If the weather is good we will fish at least part of it, eat that evening and talk shop. If you have a time schedule I would be happy to work with you . If anyone else needs to start on the fly fishing or fly tying first I would be happy to assist. I hope it works out for you to come down.

#38 ·
Supply list for 16 people

3 bricks of Sausage Dogs.......................................................................................................TFF
Chilli (3 cans).......................................................................................................................TFF
Cheese (shredded for dogs)...................................................................................................Eddie (Flingers)
44 hot dog buns...................................................................................................................saltwaterpete,
Potato Salad........................................................................................................................ Rhonda
Relish..................................................................................................................................saltwaterpete
Mustard...............................................................................................................................Rhonda
Ketchup...............................................................................................................................Rhonda
Chips...................................................................................................................................Eddie (Flingers)
Salsa...................................................................................................................................Mechanic Bob
Plates..................................................................................................................................Mechanic Bob
Napkins................................................................................................................................Dennis Rouse
Cups....................................................................................................................................Mechanic Bob
Trash bags...........................................................................................................................Mechanic Bob
Forks and spoons...................................................................................................................Dennis Rouse
Drinks...................................................................................................................................Eddie(Flingers)
Tea......................................................................................................................................Rhonda
Thanks one and all helping out on the food list !

#39 ·
I'll help out with the fly tying portion if that will help. I can fish any time (retired now), so if it is necessary to stay with the potential fly tyers, and fly casters, I don't mind doing that at all. Some of you may have different times you have to leave, so glad to help out any way I can. I can even get someone started with fly casting, but you may have to get tarheel fly flinger to get smoothed out from my lessons. Can't even hold a light to tarheel fly flinger's fly tying, but I should be able to help someone new, or someone just getting started. I tie up a fairly good pan fish foam bug that Allen taught me to tie a while back, and can also tie up a fairly good shad fly that can be modified for a lot of other fishes.

#44 ·
I'm sorry to say I don't think I will be able to make this. I just picked up a fly rod for the first time this past weekend. Absolutely loved it and now I'm looking forward to tying my own flies as well. Mr Darrell Beam, dbeam, showed me enough flies this weekend to get me drooling and looking at vises and tools. So hopefully I can pick your brains here on the forum, a little on the smallmouth trip, and hopefully on the next meet and greet.

#45 ·
You don't need a M&G to go fishing with us!! Please join us when you can! We are taking trips to lake Waccamaw in April, and Eddie(yakattack ) will be on the Smallie trip later this yr. April 21 will be the Swamp Muskie round up!! This fall the TFF M&G will be at Bay River in Sept or Oct Trout and Reds!

#52 ·
MB, you're right about the date. Sorry about the confusion. Hope you and your wife both can make this. Forget the 2 more days I just metioned. I'm getting old. Not sure what time TFF wants to get started. I would say around 8 AM, but some of the fishermen, and fisherladies may want to fish before then.There is still time to get a better idea of who will be going, and how many there will be, and what most will want to do, and at what time of day the fishing and fly tying will be done I will most likely not fish on this M&G, so I will be available for anyone who wants to observe fly tying, or want some basic lessons on fly casting. If you already know how to do these things, you may need to teach me.

#53 ·
Mechanic... I am leaving the start time around 8:00am . I know some will be there earlier and some later. I need to know who wants the tying portion first ... the inital plan was to fish first and then fellowship , tie flies and eat. I will stay back and help if needed that morning and Rouse said he would be happy to do the same! I am looking forward to meeting you and your wife! Rhonda wants to know if your wife is going to fish too? Oh if conditions are not going to be good for fishing I will let y'll know prior the 10th.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.