NC Angler Forums banner

Tarheel Fly Flinger M&G

17K views 107 replies 22 participants last post by  tarheel fly flinger 
#1 ·
We will have our winter/spring meeting at Bay River Campground on March 10th. We will have a guest speaker on Kayak Fishing the Eastern Marshes and Flats!! The speaker will be one of our own on this site!! JDHD has a kayak guide service in the areas around Slocum Creek, he also guides around the Haystacks and Carrott Island . His guiding service is called TCCKA (Taylor Crystal Coast kayak Adventures). This young man can really put the fish in the yak!! We will also have some of the Flinger members tie Shad ,Spec Trout flies . Time is getting close to fresh water fishing as well. If there is a fly you would like to see just let me know and we will try to demo the tie.

In March of 09 I caught my largest Trout to date . It was caught not far from the campground ! There should be time to fish for trout before the meeting part of the program.There will be Sausage Dogs and Chilli after the meeting and as usual no charges .... please come on down (you don't have to be a member ). If you just want to learn more about fly fishing and kayaking , this will be a great start!! Here are a couple of pics last year from Bay River

See less See more
#54 ·
Yes the wife does fly fish and also with standard rigs. We found out that we are dog sitting, so we may make the trip for the fellowship and the lessons. GOT TO GET OUT OF THE HOUSE!
Please let me know what we can bring. Thank you, Bo

Rouse, I have the "lock on" for messing up date and time! Just ask the wife or kids...Dad remember we told you......

#55 ·
Bob, I am getting really worried about myself lately. I'm getting to the point that I need to question myself all the time.However, I am 65 yo, so I'll just have to laugh at myself and keep on keeping on. The funny thing about this is that I had my wife believing this as well as a new friend who asked me to go fishing with him on saturday. I'll be at the campground all day unless my wife has to go home early due to health issues. Hope we can all get together fly fishing, and spin fishing sometimes this year. Looking at your profile, your favorite place to fish is Sutton Lake. I've heard a lot about Sutton. Not sure if I could swing a trip to fish there, but it should be a fun place. Can gills be caught in there all winter. I do know it is wormed by the power plant, but unsure of what fish species can be caught over the winter months.

#56 ·
Sutton Lake winter time is one of the better time to go. Bream have been very thick there this past year. I have. Fished there for over 17 years and never caught a Crappie until this year and they have been SLABS. Bass fishing has been great this fall anddd winter. In fact I was going to go Catfishing tonight, but the weather has made a change in my plans, so I am going tomorrow night. Wife is going to Durham to see the Daughter, so I going fishing. If you ever decide to make it down to Sutton, please look me up and I would be happy to take you or show you around. Don't let this out, Ha Ha, my #1 rig is a 4/0 Owner Worm Hook rigged with a 4" Zoom WaterMelon Seed Finesse Worm rigged on a 7' spinning rod using 6 - 8 lbs. Mono. Just throw it near the shore and let is slowly drift down, watching you line for the hit. But don't tell anyone!Last fall I was fishingin Lake 8, as I was leavingand checkingthe shore line, I never saw so many Breamin my life. I called the wife to have her join me. She brought her fly rod and wore her shelf out catching Bream. I have caught many Bass, Bream, and Crappie out htere on the Fly Rods. Not too many others Fly fish out there.I still want to catch Stripers in the river on the Fly, but just have not have had the right conditions for it. But that time is coming.

#63 ·
Maybe tea or dessert. We are pretty good on the other items. We are looking forward to meeting you on this M&G! I would bring the 5 wt for Specs....Reds are not there in numbers this time of yr. I love the 3 inch polar fiber minnows for Specs . Colors :white ,chartreuse and orange works great . Trent Creek is where I would try first, Chapel next ,Vandemere last because its a long paddle. Thanks .

#66 ·
I need to make a note ....JDHD is needing to have the business part of the M&G at noon on the 10th! We will have lunch at that time . Fishing will resume after that. At dusk we will meet and compare notes on the catches....fly tie and fellowship. Thanks

#68 ·
Bob, sounds like Allen is having the fly tying portion in the morning, just from what I see on his last post. I will be available probably until mid afternoon with any fly tying that I know how to do. Not planning to fish that day. I'll have my wife Susie with me. She has health issues, so I am sure she'll want to get home before dark. Some of the people going could probably teach me lots about fly tying, and fly fishing.

#69 ·
I think we are able to take my son's dog to his in-laws, so we will be able to make the trip. Question is, are we going to camp, find a place to stay, can we leave Friday and be there Friday night, camp with the box cover, or with the tent that fits the box of the truck, .... I still don't know what our plans are, other than we will be there!

#71 ·
I'm starting to get the gear together for camping through the weekend and getting excited. Looks like the weather will be good. Buns for dogs (48) and relish are purchased and ready to go. Can't wait for friday. Alan, were you able to do some recon and what did you find?

#73 ·
Gentlemen it is close I will PM everyone intrested in coming to get a good head count. Saltwater Pete we could not find a day with good weather to go . Everytime we could go it seems the wind or rain or both wanted to act up. I did talk to Frank at the Campground yesterday and he said there have been quite a few Trout caught and several limited out! Pesky is coming down to help out with fisherman new to this area...he can catch the trout! Rhonda and I will try again Wends or Thursday to fish Trent Creek...we will report what we find. A big thanks to all helping out to make this a sucess!!

#75 ·
18 unconfirmed! with Murphey's law I figure 12 to 15. We do have a wild card ...a group of Wounded Warriors may come in from another trip from Hancock Creek that afternoon. They are from NCKFA a great group! They wanted to know if it would be OK if they came by! I told them to please come on down!! It would be a pleasure and honor!

#76 ·
Don't remember if I ever responded or not and too lazy to check. I will be down in Oriental starting Thursday night, got some yard work to do, so probably fish Sat afternoon. Let me know what is needed for Sat evening food wise. If for some reason someone needs a place to stay, I can put a few people up. If we get a NE wind considering fishing New Bern for stripers on Sun if anyone is interested, hope the fish are still there.

Reactions: RouseD
#77 ·
Thanks so much for the offer! I think we are fixed for supplies just come on down and have some fun!! JDHD is having to speak at lunch time so we are having a lunch instead to accomodate his schedule. I hope this is not an inconvience to you. Your trip on Sunday sounds great!! I will let you know . THANKS!

#78 ·
Who's camping friday night? I'm trying to get things arranged here to allow for that. If I can't get there til late and I miss friday fishing and cooking out, theres not much benefit in trying to camp, other than splitting the driving across two days.

Throw in some weather questions and I'm doing a pretty good job of talking myself into another weekend at home, which is no good at all.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.