NC Angler Forums banner

Tarheel Fly Flinger M&G

17K views 107 replies 22 participants last post by  tarheel fly flinger 
#1 ·
We will have our winter/spring meeting at Bay River Campground on March 10th. We will have a guest speaker on Kayak Fishing the Eastern Marshes and Flats!! The speaker will be one of our own on this site!! JDHD has a kayak guide service in the areas around Slocum Creek, he also guides around the Haystacks and Carrott Island . His guiding service is called TCCKA (Taylor Crystal Coast kayak Adventures). This young man can really put the fish in the yak!! We will also have some of the Flinger members tie Shad ,Spec Trout flies . Time is getting close to fresh water fishing as well. If there is a fly you would like to see just let me know and we will try to demo the tie.

In March of 09 I caught my largest Trout to date . It was caught not far from the campground ! There should be time to fish for trout before the meeting part of the program.There will be Sausage Dogs and Chilli after the meeting and as usual no charges .... please come on down (you don't have to be a member ). If you just want to learn more about fly fishing and kayaking , this will be a great start!! Here are a couple of pics last year from Bay River

See less See more
#81 ·
I'll be there friday noon, altho the weather forecast ain't lovely. I'm planning to stay till monday. so if conditions permit, i'll fish friday, otherwise tie up leaders and flies. but saturday and sunday look like great weather.

#86 ·
No problem, enjoy. My place is 10 minutes away from the campground, so if anyone needs a place to hang out until the rain quits, let me know. I am in Oriental now, wish I was here all the time.

Reactions: RouseD
#85 ·
I went to Bay River today and the wind was coming from the south at 20 , trying to switch to the west. We did not put in. I talked to frank and he said some anglers went out last week and they limited out on Trout. The guys at Sportmans Toy Store in New Bern told me they have done well on trout the last few weeks. Call them and ask for Thomas ...they are in the process of building up a nice Fly Shop! 252-638-5600 . The response I have recieved the votes on when to have to meal and lunch is the winner when JDHD gives his presentation , so be ready for an hour long lunch break . We will still meet at the common room for pics and fellowship that evening. Thanks to everyone for all the effort to get this event going!!! See you saturday AM.

#94 ·
Anybody hear from the flingers? I wasnt able to make it had to help stepdaughter move. I hope their having a good time and catching lots of fish on the flys they tied :) Weather wasnt too bad today. I figured someone would report in from the campground since they have wifi there.

#95 ·
Wind was howl'n. The paddle back to the campground, was a long hard paddle. Bunches of spikes caught. We had a GREAT TIME.
Thanks to Bay River Campground and THFF. Allen put on one great Meet and Greet!
I want to thank all that made the trip and it was great to meet each and everyone of you. We are looking forward to the next outing. (Just hope the wind is not blowing!
Diane and are are already planning the next trip up there and hope we can break out the fly rods. THANKS!

#96 ·
An excellent gathering! I wanted info on places to fish, techniques and fly tying. Throw in some good fellowship and you have what I experienced today. Didn't worry much about the wind, of which there was a lot, but concerned myself with enjoying the fellowship and absorbing the local knowledge that was freely shared. If you have not been to a M&G, you are missing an opportunity to draw on local knowledge, for fellowship, making new friends or renewing old friendships. Thanks to all for a gread day on and off the water.

#97 ·
Had a fun trip out at Bay River Campground at the M&G today. Man I feel for you guys who had to paddle in that wind and chop lol. I ended up with 15 or 16 trout for the day and even mananged a limit if I was keeping them. It was nice meeting the guys and girls who I havent met before and it was good seeing the ones I have already met again. Bay River Campground is an awesome campground and Frank and Rachael go out of there way to make the M&Gs as hospitable as they can. If you havent been there before its worth just going for the day. Brad

#98 ·
Great day on the water today. It was extremely windy in the am which definitely made for an interesting first yak fishing adventure! The wind made fly fishing very difficult, so i tossed plan A out the window early and stuck to swim shads on the spinning reel. With the weather like it was, i fully expected to blank out for the day, but to my surprise, the trout were pretty aggressive and we all caught fish. I only ended up with three spikes on the day, but i still had a blast. It was great to meet everybody and I appreciate y'all treating me like one of the crew. I especially want to thank Allen (TFF) for heading the m&g up and for setting me up with a yak. Also a big thank you to Pesky for showing me the waters and teaching me a thing or two about trout. Lastly, thanks to allen, eddie, and dennis for giving me tons of fly tying knowledge. For those who have never attended one of these m&g, be sure to catch the next one. I promise you'll have a blast regardless I the fishing. These guys are top notch anglers, fly fishermen (and women!), fly tyers, and all around good people. Can't say enough good things about the TFF group. Hope to join u guys again soon!

#99 ·
Great trip and very nice to see some old faces and meet a few new ones. I didn't realize how long it had been since I had gotten out of the piedmont, and had forgotten that feeling when you hit those New Bern bridges and realize "we're not in Kansas anymore". That's a good moment, every time.

I woke up early Friday morning with the brainstorm that the only way I was going to get there was to go 'right now' and work from the campground on friday. That gave me a chance to move in during daylight and fish a little and camp a little on friday evening, instead of leaving Raleigh after work, packing, eating at a drive-thru and showing up just in time to go to bed. I pulled up to the camp office at the same time as Saltwater Pete and got my accommodations. Camp wifi worked well from my camper as the rest of the wet weather blew over.

Pete and I made an ill-advised but inevitable run out into the post-storm slop friday evening as the storm front was being chased out by the high pressure behind. We got a short look at one of the creeks and good practice with wind management for Saturday, but no fish. We did earn our campfire dinner, though.

Saturday broke bright and crisp and clear. Not sure if it was less windy than Friday evening's trip or if I just got used to it. I launched with the first group out - Pesky, Yakattaxx83, Surferdude814, Mechanic Bob and Diane, sgrfmde45 - and crossed the bay to a protected shoreline. Here's a couple of them:

I watched pesky catch a couple small trout on trolled plastics and did what he did. I cruised up and down that shoreline and eventually got my own:

By that time about half the group had headed up the adjacent creek. I didn't want to follow, because I had already made the paddle back out the night before and didn't need to do it again, but I just knew there was more fish catching going on back there. I came across Rhonda and Eddie coming out the creek and they both hooked and landed fish on queue, to show me how easy it was. I found Pesky, Yakattaxx and Surferdude in the back, and got to do a little more fishing back there before time to head back against the wind. This was another trip where the guys with pedals looked like they were doing a lot more fishing and a lot less work than the paddlers. There's no question I'm being converted. Its just a matter of time and opportunity now.

Great spread of food and elbow-to-elbow crowd in the common room when we got back. There was a little fly-tying and a whole lot of talking going on. As the die-hards were headed back out at 3 for some more fishing, I got a shower and headed back home. Very nice to travel back from a coastal fishing trip already clean - thanks BRCG!

That was my first trip to Bay River Camp Ground. Its a superb place for a kayak fishing home base. I rented a hardshell camper for the night and was glad to have heat and solid walls through friday's rain and the cold night. Firepit and picnic table outside the door, only a few steps to the bath house & common room, and only a few steps from there to the canal where you slide kayaks in and out. The hurricane from last fall is still a big topic of conversation, but having never seen it before I wouldn't have known anything had happened at all. Frank & Rachel are working hard to build something special out there, and they are sincerely appreciative of all the NCangler-related groups that have come through. It shows!

Thanks to Allen for the arrangements and everybody who showed up and pitched in to make it a great event.

Attachments

#100 ·
I really had a very nice time. I had never reallyn sat down with someone who had never tied flies before, but this was a 1st for me. When Randy (Old Rebel ) 1st sat down with me, I didn't realize he had never tied a fly. After I reaized that, I had to make a lot of adjustments. Also, I saw a lot of my own mistakes that I made when I 1st started learning from Allen Peyton. The 1st fly I tried to tewach Randy to tie, I left the tail material out of it, and we both had to tear a little of the flies apart to make a decent looking fly. I think I did as much learning as Randy, Not sure if most people are like myself, but when I slowed dwon enough to teach Randy, step by step, it weas almost like I was learning all over again. After you ties a fly for a while, and are alone when you do it, you do without thinking a lot about it. I hope I helped Randy instead of confusing him more. If I ever teach anyone else, I'll start out with something like a clouser, so it will be easier to teach whip finishing. I should have know that because when Allen Peyton taught me to whip finsih, and that took a while, I had probalble tied 4 or 5 flies. I was trying at home by myself, and just drew a blank on whip finishing. I had to call Allen to get hi to jog my memory to get back on track. Now, I do it without really thinking about it. I really do hope Randy learned something from me, and I now know what Allen went though trying to teach me. Thanks Allen.
I didn't fish so I could stay at the campground office to be available to anyone I could help with fly tying or just general info about tying flies. That was just as enjoyable as catching fish.
It was really nioce meeting some of the members I had not met, and seeing some that I don'[t get to see very often. Thanks Jeffonc for traveling so far to be with us. It was a pleasure seeing you again. Thanks also to mechanic bob, and his wife, and to the others that I did not get the chance to know better.

#101 ·
The M&G was a BIG success!!! We had a great turn out despite the wind! The weather was cloudy but the wind E NE at 20 to 25 in the morning ...rough going out and the return trip was worse! The trout were there!! Almost everybody caught fish!! Most were between 10 to 13 inches but a good number were caught between 15 to 20 inches !! Rouse and I stayed back and did the fly tying part in the common room at the CG. Thanks Dennis for helping out!! You did a good job no matter what you say about you talents! The common room was full most of the day and the fellowship was at an all time high! Frank had the GAME on(Carolina and State) We had patrons for both sides and it was fun just to be there just to see that!!

Ron and Pat Kolata from Raleigh signed up on Angler at the M&G . Welcome to the site !! I had some help on the fishing end and I would like to recognize Pesky (Sean),Yakattaxx 83(Brad), Yak'nDamsel(Rhonda) YFF(Eddie) were my" Experts " to help out those not from this area. They did a great job...Thank You !! Frank and Rachel as usual did such a good job welcoming us and being a great host! We could not ask for better! We are so lucky to be able to have M&G at such a good location, well run campground ,great fishing , good friends...can't ask for better than that!!! I know Rhonda will chime in soon and put her thoughts to paper .

PICS!

Group shot!

Front Row...

SgrfmDe452, Pesky,Diane, Yakattackxx83,Rouse D,Yak'n Damsel,Yakattack Fly Flinger
Second Row... Surferdude,Mechanic Bob

Jeffonc missed the group shot but I did get his pic!

I missed some others , they launched before I arrived. I hope they have some pics they can post.

Rouse D tying some flies at his station.

Pat,NC Tribute,Ron

Frank, Tim,Denise,Calvin are residents of Bay River Campground watching the game

A better shot of Mechanic BOB and his wife Diane

This is the largest fish caught at the M&G ....Congrats Eddie!! Rhonda took this pic.

THANKS ONE AND ALL FOR SUCH A GREAT M&G !!! Looking forward to the next event on April 21st at Core Creek Bowfin Swamp Muskie round up!! Y'll invited!

#102 ·
Looks like all had a great time, glad to see some trout being caught also. Been way too long since I've been down that way but hopefully I'll be able to see some of you on the water soon. Really nice trout Eddie, been getting reports of some nice trout being mixed in with the spikes. Thanks for the post and pics everyone, but did have a question tho, have they been able to repair the floating docks. Was really tough tying the boat with all the docks being torn up from the hurricane last year. I'm sure Frank and Rachel have been busy this winter and also glad to hear everyone is doing great. Thanks again, georgep

#104 ·
I had a very nice time at the m & g with everyone. Glad we had the chance to meet new people.
It was a windy day, but we prevailed against the odds. The food & fellowship was great. Everyone caught fish I believe.
I only got three total, missed a few....but got a nice 20 " trout. The water chop was bad in the beginning, but got a little more
tolerable that evening. I got soaked first thing going out with all the wind & chop, but the 20"" trout made me feel a little better.
Thanks to everyone that joined us for a fun day @ a special thanks to frank & rachael with Bay River Camp Ground for their hospitality. Looking forward to another fun day on the water with friends soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.