Marine Patrol Confiscates Blue Marlin From Big Rock Boat

Thread: Marine Patrol Confiscates Blue Marlin From Big Rock Boat

Blog Entries

Exclamation Marine Patrol Confiscates Blue Marlin From Big Rock Boat

MOREAHEAD CITY N.C. Marine Patrol officers confiscated an undersized blue marlin brought to the docks for the Big Rock Blue Marlin Tournament Friday.

The fish, landed by the vessel The Toplesss of Ocean City, Md., measured 97 inches in length, said Marine Patrol Officer Carter Witten. The minimum size limit for blue marlin in North Carolina is 99 inches.

Additionally, the Big Rock Blue Marlin Tournament requires blue marlin landed to meet either a 110-inch or 400-pound size limit.

Marine Patrol Officer Mitch Stone was at the Big Rock Landing when the fish was brought in to be weighed between 5:30 p.m. and 6 p.m. Friday.

The boat captain, Alan Evans Fields of Juniper, Fla., was cited for possession of an undersized blue marlin and given a mandatory court appearance where a judge will decide his fine.

The fish was given to Dr. Jeff Buckel, assistant professor at the N.C. State University Center for Marine Sciences and Technologies in Morehead City to be used for research.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Default Re: Marine Patrol Confiscates Blue Marlin From Big Rock Boat

That is a shame that they brought in an unersized Marlin. In a tournament of that class they should have known better.

I guess they got disqualified.
    "If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience." Woodrow Wilson

Shame their isn't a way to catch and release them of all sizes. Capt. should have known by length/width it was too small!! Guess he needs to go back to those Catfish charters!
    Nantahala Fly Fishing likes this.

* Be responsible to the resource, not just obedient to the laws *
    RED X ANGLER* * MEMBER OF THE JON BOAT BASS CLUB OF NC * ARDENT REELS PROSTAFF REEL IT IN BAITS PRO STAFF 1st Tournament win 2/20/16 at Hyco lake 13lb 14.8oz 5 fish.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by NCangler View Post
    MOREAHEAD CITY N.C. Marine Patrol officers confiscated an undersized blue marlin brought to the docks for the Big Rock Blue Marlin Tournament Friday.

The fish, landed by the vessel The Toplesss of Ocean City, Md.
    The name of the boat is a dead giveaway!
    "If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience." Woodrow Wilson

Blog Entries

The lesson here is that we all need to be aware of the DMF or WRC rules when fishing.

I'm still shaking my head trying to understand how someone in a big time tourney like the Big Rock would show up at the dock with an under size fish. The first day someone weighed in a fish that was smaller than tourney rules allow but bigger than DMF requires - that was bad enough - the fish didn't count & they were docked 400 pounds from any future catch in the tourney.

LiveBait likes this.

As I stated in another post it is amazing what some people will try to get by with for the love of $$$$$$$$$$. I agree, they should have a video on each boat to record tag and release. Let the fish live to fight another day if you're not going to eat it. I've heard in the past alot of fish end up in a dumpster. I hope that's not true.

Haven, Supposedly they give the fish to someone for research.They cut it up then trash it.. But it is still a shame. I think the whole research thing is more to pacify people like us that hate to see the fish die. They are all majestic species and it has to take a long time to grow that big especially with todays dangers. I like the measure/photo and release like I've seen in shark tourneys in FLA. I think the only fish kept would be a gut hook that obviously won't survive.
    LiveBait likes this.

* Be responsible to the resource, not just obedient to the laws *
    RED X ANGLER* * MEMBER OF THE JON BOAT BASS CLUB OF NC * ARDENT REELS PROSTAFF REEL IT IN BAITS PRO STAFF 1st Tournament win 2/20/16 at Hyco lake 13lb 14.8oz 5 fish.

I agreee they should be able to release , but I know that would be impossible. It is alot of fun fishing big fish like that!

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements