Shad 101 - Page 11
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Shad 101

nice marbling! I haven't ventured down that path yet.. what blank did you go with
    dbeam, and FishinCary like this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Batson eglass lol. I'll make it look pretty but I'm not going to spend much $$$ on anything that I'm gunna be swinging around on a pier lol. I think I spent $13 on the blank, $25 on the guides, and $5 on the reel seat and the grips

I thought about bout getting a batson rain shadow blank instead but it was $45 versus $15 and I'd rather spend the money on my kinging rod rather than the plugging rod which will probably be beat to heck. Looking to build it on a Hercules inshore light.

also ncstatefisher look at your "hull truth" private messages. A friend of mine has a question about your rod dryer he sent you.
    NCStateFisher likes this.

Hobie Revo 13

I hear ya man I'm working on an rx6 rainshadow knife jigging blank at the moment, probably smart to go with the e-glass for the pier

got his message this morning and responded
    FishinCary likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by NCStateFisher View Post
    I hear ya man I'm working on an rx6 rainshadow knife jigging blank at the moment, probably smart to go with the e-glass for the pier

got his message this morning and responded
    also a bit off topic but if you want to do marbleing get testors model enamel paints. They have a solvent you have to pour off but they have some awsome colors. Like you can find the exact color of a specific vintage car or the exact colors of a branch of the military. They are like 1.84 per small bottle and 2.85 for the large bottles. Both will last you at least a couple dozen rods. Hangar 18 hobbies in cary has them in the back.
    NCStateFisher likes this.

Hobie Revo 13

Someone asked on another shad thread about the shad run time frame. I haven't been fishing for them long enough to give a good answer, but I think the main run will be between mid March to mid April. Someone will know better than my guess.
    Not sure if the Grifton Shad Festival has a website, but if so, that would be a good source since they have a shad fishing contest. I do know that in years past, shad have been caught in January for this festival.
    RED X ANGLER

I started catching them good last year the last week in Feb.
    RouseD likes this.

last year i started catching them in late jan in fort barnwell and was still catching them in smithfeild in early mid april.
    RouseD likes this.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Great job on the rod that I amazing.

Darrell
    FishinCary likes this.

Red X Angler

Nice rod set up, if you get by the store bring it by, like to take a good look at it.
    dbeam likes this.

Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hobbs View Post
    Nice rod set up, if you get by the store bring it by, like to take a good look at it.
    You know I wouldn't come within 20 miles of EZ bait without dropping in for a visit! See you later this spring
    dbeam, and RouseD like this.

Hobie Revo 13

Is there anywhere to launch that is closer to Pitchkettle than Maple Cypress?
    dbeam likes this.

There use to be a ramp below the old closed pitchketle ramp called Pelican landing. It was within site of the 90 degree bend in the river and entrance to pitchkettle creek. I have not been down below core creek in a few years so I don't know if it is still open to the public. It was a pay ramp.

core creek landing is below Maple cypress but it is a mile up core creek so maple would be just as close probably. be careful in the neuse. there are old pilings in several spots that have a lot of damaged lower units credited to them. One is river right below maple cypress about 1/2 to 3/4 mile. these are old pilings that had walls attached to them for barges to get behind them, there is also 1 set of them just above maple cypress river right also and each of these probably has 20-30 broken off pilings

If you zoom in on this pic to the right of my sons head below the tallest tree you can see a set of these pilings. these come out a good ways from the bank at an arch and then parallel the bank ..they are aprox 50 yds long. these are this time of year below the water level as in this pic the water was low. I know of 4 sets of these.

added: the set of pilings in the pic is just above maple cypress

Click image for larger version.

Name:	DSCN0024.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	58366
    bweave09, catfish_hunter, dbeam, and RouseD like this.

Mowhawk pack , coleman scanoe, OT 158, 2 OT 119's,
    1232 Jon Boat, Wilderness Systems ATAK 140, Ascend 12T

That would be a very bad way to get excited.
    dbeam likes this.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

I've witnessed them get hit before. Its hard not to laugh actually.

clane should know. He lives close to there. I've seen a pier, but always put my power boat in at the Core Creek landing.
    dbeam likes this.

RED X ANGLER

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast