Shad 101 - Page 2
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Shad 101

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Nice post. the most colorful blog award post I have seen.

Darrell
    BigE818, RouseD, and Scott Hobbs like this.

Red X Angler

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Depending on the area you are fishing you may want to check the fishing regs for your area.. www.ncwildlife.org
    Fishing along the Neuse the limit is 10 fish in combination, meaning a mix of hickory and American shad, and no size limit. The regs change some for the Roanoke River.

As the shad progress up the rivers the STRIPERS won't be to far behind, also in there spawning run. A times I'll catch a shad, cut a big steak off it, put it on a bottom rig and catch big cats and or Stripers... I continue to fish for shad and just keep an eye on the other heavier rod for that tell tell screaming drag. I use big "circle hooks" and let them do there job. Most of the time the fish will be hooked right in the corner of the mouth.

Another thing you can do is, when moving about, is troll. You can troll for shad and or stripers. Just be sure what type of water you will be covering and types of lures that will work in that area. Big Cotton Cordell Redfins, Rebels and such that don't dive deep usually do pretty good for stripers. The stand shad rig trolled slowly will catch shad, bass and anything in the river that chases minnows.

<*)))))>{

Tom, I'm off on Mon, Tue and Thursday, when you get ready give me a shout. Somewhere the fish should be biting and we'll go chase something. The other days you know where I'll be, playing in the fishing tackle mecca.

Thanks Darrell..

<*))))>{

Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

The NC state record on Hickory shad is 4lbs 1 ounce, lots of 1 pounders are common. The American/white shad can grow a little better with the state record at 7lbs 15 ounces and put up a great fight on light tackle.
    RouseD likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Very good post Scott.

Not sure how many people prepare shad for cooking like I have done, but I clean them out, and cross cut them in about 1/2 sections. When crispy, the skin can be removed easily, and the meat will pull off the bones.
    Scott Hobbs likes this.

RED X ANGLER

Just want to make sure I understand the regs, is it correct that on the the Neuse River you can possess 10 American and Hickory shad in combination.

And on the Roanoke River, you can possess 10 shad but no more than one can be an American shad?
    "What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

That is correct on the Neuse.

REG>>>Roanoke River upstream of US 258 bridge near Scotland Neck to Roanoke Rapids Dam...10 fish in combination with only 1 American shad.

With that being written like that it would seem that below Scotland Neck bridge on 561/258 to the sound past Plymouth that a 10 fish in combination would be right, just like the Neuse or any other river. There is nothing there to say below the bridge, just above it.
    RouseD likes this.

Here are some pics of Shad Spoons I customized..

First I removed the hooks from the spoon. I had to take an drill a bigger hole to get the hook back into the spoon with the feathers/flashabou tied on.

After removing all the hooks I laid the spoons to the side and then decided what colors to add to each spoon. Then I tied up the feather/flashabou. Added a little Super Glue to help hold it together and let them dry.

Then it was time to put em back together. I pushed them thru the new hole and pulled em up and put the screw back in.

This is the final new product. Now I can't wait to test em out on the water. At times the fish want different color combinations so I plan to fill that void..

Lots of shad both Hickory and American (white) shad still tearing it up around Goldsboro area. Get out there and catch you some.

<*))))>{
    FishinCary, and RouseD like this.

Brother of a friend reports Hickories were thick around Contentnea CR Sat and Sun. Can't go down until Next week, darn it!!!
    RouseD, and Scott Hobbs like this.

Is there anywhere around the Sanford area to fish shad? ... say around March 18-24th? I'm vacationing up there soon. Staying with family who would love to get into some action.
    Scott Hobbs likes this.

Luck, is where opportunity meets preparation.

when you fish a grub and a spoon do you tie the line to the spoon from the bend in the hook? also do you add a small swivel between the grub and the spoon to prevent line twist?
    Scott Hobbs likes this.

Hobie Revo 13

Quote Originally Posted by FishinCary View Post
    when you fish a grub and a spoon do you tie the line to the spoon from the bend in the hook? also do you add a small swivel between the grub and the spoon to prevent line twist?
    You tie the line to the spoon. You can use a swivel some do but I have seen some where they put the spoon up higher on the line and let the jig run lower.
    FishinCary, and Scott Hobbs like this.

Quote Originally Posted by FishinCary View Post
    I've gotten to where I just tie the grub on with a long tag end and tie the spoon, or a second grub directly to the tag. However I use 10 or 12 lb line (most folks stick with 4-6 lb) so I've never lost one at that knot.
    Last edited by Fishing Otha; 02-28-2012 at 10:11 AM. Reason: add description
    Scott Hobbs likes this.

You might be able to get away using a three way swivel. Might get tangled though.
    Scott Hobbs likes this.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

Most put the jig/dart about 12 inches above the spoon. Thats the way the store bought tandem rigs are sold. I;ve seen all sorts of ways to tie them up. A 3-way swivel will work or just about any way you can think of. I normally use 8 or 10 pound test line. I have 8 pound Fireline on one rod and 6 pound Fireline on another... Casts a country mile, thin and easy on small 1000 size reels.

I have even tied on the jig with a double granny knot leaving a long tag end enough to tie on a spoon. As long as you have 2 tail ends to tie to the possiblities are endless. You could also tie a "dropper loop" for the jig/dart.
    FishinCary, Mack in N.C., and RouseD like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hobbs View Post
    Most put the jig/dart about 12 inches above the spoon. Thats the way the store bought tandem rigs are sold. I;ve seen all sorts of ways to tie them up. A 3-way swivel will work or just about any way you can think of. I normally use 8 or 10 pound test line. I have 8 pound Fireline on one rod and 6 pound Fireline on another... Casts a country mile, thin and easy on small 1000 size reels.

I have even tied on the jig with a double granny knot leaving a long tag end enough to tie on a spoon. As long as you have 2 tail ends to tie to the possiblities are endless. You could also tie a "dropper loop" for the jig/dart.

10-4 on that scott...i rarely use spoons but most people i see using them run them on the bottom.......Mack
    And i tie mine by sliding 1 jig up the line then doubling the line and tying 2 granny knots like you say which leaves a little dropper loop...then to the end i tie my las jig.......
    moose22dog, and Scott Hobbs like this.

Mowhawk pack , coleman scanoe, OT 158, 2 OT 119's,
    1232 Jon Boat, Wilderness Systems ATAK 140, Ascend 12T

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast