Shad 101 - Page 3
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Shad 101

When shad are hitting the grubs and not spoons just use 2 grubs. I've used this rig setup a lot when the shad are thick.

ON a side note, with all this rain we've just had the rivers/creeks and streams should be rising and that will bring the shad on in fast and furious.

<*)))))>{
    dbeam, FishinCary, and RouseD like this.

Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

We have had a lot of recent rain and the rivers/creeks are full and overflowing. The water is muddy and fishing high muddy water does present problems, however the shad are wanting to move on up river to pro-create and they want high water. I find that gold, hot pink, chartruese colored spoons fill the ticket. Darts also fall in to the bright dark color spectrum, pink/pink, chartruese, hot oranges, green/chart. all work for muddy water fishing.

You may have to try several colors to see what the fish prefer for a given time frame during the day and the colors may change. If two people are fishing together they should use different colors and try to figure out what the fish are hitting. They should also keep in tune with what there bait is doing, what depth the lure is running (deep or shallow), fast or slow retrieve. Repeat the process when you catch a fish that tells you how to catch more. I've had my best days when the water was out of the banks and the shad were running the very edges of the swamp backwaters to keep out of the main river currents.

Look for feeder creeks running into the main river where the waters may not be so muddy. You can at times find these zones and fish the mud line and catch lots of fish. Look for transition zones from where current breaks and allows eddies to form giving the fish slack water to rest and stage. Areas that had eddies and calm water during low water may not be that way when the water rises.

Muddy waters are tough to fish but they can also be some great days on the water with some trial and error. If on a boat just be careful because high water can dis-lodge debris from the banks, logs, tree tops and such and it floats down river.
    RouseD likes this.

Anyone who has been fishing around this area for a long time know roughly when the shad start to turn up below milburnie dam in raleigh in any good numbers?

searched some old threads and found mention of shad showing up "around april" but thats a pretty broad range of time.
    Scott Hobbs likes this.

Hobie Revo 13

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

FC..they should be there now....it doesnt take long for stripers or shad to go 100 miles once the water temp and flow is right........not all shad will make it to milburnie though......lots stop way below milburnie and there are several major spawning areas way below milburnie,.also 2 big tribs get alotof theneuses fish also,,,,weather permiting i will be at one of these areas sat and /or tuesday....it is a major spawning area for shad and in may for stripers...Mack....
    RouseD, and Scott Hobbs like this.

Mowhawk pack , coleman scanoe, OT 158, 2 OT 119's,
    1232 Jon Boat, Wilderness Systems ATAK 140, Ascend 12T

thanks mack! -crossing my fingers that it rains sat- so i can go shad fishing lol

btw i got home yesterday and before it got dark i took a few of my cranks and a rod down to the little pond by my house and used those pliers. they all run perfectly straight now i always did that anyways but trying to grab that little eye with the tip of some pliers was frustrating enough i didnt bother to do it often.
    Scott Hobbs likes this.

Hobie Revo 13

There are a few shad at Milburnie. I mean a few... We need to get some more water in the river in order for there to be any decent numbers. I might go there this evening to try my luck.
    Scott Hobbs likes this.

Its that time of year again when the weather changes and so do the fishing opportunities. The Neuse River has been down really, really low the past couple of months but with the recent rains it is up and looking good. Last year the shad were being caught around the last week of Jan so this year is looking up. We have more rain predicted in the next week or so. Maybe the rising waters and fresh rains will bring us some shad.

Good luck and go ahead and start getting your gear together. If you wait till the last minute the tackle will all be gone in most places. Once they make an initial order and its gone they do not replace it since shad is a seasonal fish.
    dbeam, Deepblu505, and RouseD like this.

Pink lead head and white grub for me.
    dbeam, RouseD, and Scott Hobbs like this.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

Its hard to beat a pink head and white grub on most days. But occasionally they want something a little different with the sun light, clouds or muddy conditions in the river. I;'ve done real good with orange colors, especially with the fly rod.
    dbeam, and RouseD like this.

What an excellent thread. Someone should make this a sticky post.
    dbeam, RouseD, and Scott Hobbs like this.

Tight lines,
    Andrew

Just so most will know, this thread was posted last year. I figured the info was still good so I brought it back to the fore front for those that needed to sharpen there skills for shad.
    Deepblu505, MOFISH, and RouseD like this.

Default Re: Shad 101

Thanks man! There is a charity shad tournament in Richmond in March. PM me if y'all want more info. It is a boat/kayak/shore/zeppelin or whatever style you want.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    MOFISH, and Scott Hobbs like this.

Does anyone know what month the shad start showing up in the Tar River around Rocky Mount?
    Scott Hobbs likes this.

Seems like fish are showing up early again this year. Expect mid Feb or so would be a good time to try. Keep an eye on these forums for fish activity near where you are fishing.
    MOFISH, and RouseD like this.

Could this be the year this hillbilly finally catches some shad... Mr. Scott
    dbeam, MOFISH, RouseD, and Scott Hobbs like this.

Red X angler

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast