Shad 101 - Page 4
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Shad 101

Heck yea Tom, come on down man and whomp on some of them. A good time would be at the Kinston Meet and Greet. If you come down anytime give me a shout and I'll try to get out with you.
    dbeam, MOFISH, RouseD, and slickrocktom like this.

Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

ten were caught sat morn between two guys at grifton/maple cypress area. ... so yeah, def showing up early. .. they threw out after duck hunting an hey, they were there

Dem Neuse River Boys.. . Epicness Always

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hobbs View Post
    Heck yea Tom, come on down man and whomp on some of them. A good time would be at the Kinston Meet and Greet. If you come down anytime give me a shout and I'll try to get out with you.

What dates?

Red X angler

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

I may have missed it but how do you fish the jigs? speed, depth, jig head weight etc.? What is the difference in darts and jigs? what about tube jigs vs curly tails?

Thanks,
    Darrell
    Scott Hobbs likes this.

Red X Angler

Default Re: Shad 101

I always fish a steady retrieve for shad, cast slightly upstream and reel. I fish curly tail grubs, 2 inch, pink head white body mostly.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Don't sweat the small stuff!

You can use any set up you want, they all catch there fair share of shad. Most often you cast out and ease your bait back to you. Watch others in the area an see how they are casting and retreiving their tackle back. You can use 1/32, 1/16 or 1/8 ounce jig heads/darts and assorted grubs. What ever crappie jigs/grub combinations you already have will catch shad. I have assorted grubs (curly tails, split tails, tubes) in my tackle box. I keep a small plastic box full of stuff and head down to the water.

If you have lots of jig heads there is no need to buy darts. Darts have a angled face to them an give a slightly different swimming action but jigs work great also. I normally only use jigs and grub combinations. You can buy them in small packs and have enough for a day of fishing.

I normally just catch and release my catch so I don't need a stringer/bucket or livewell. Occasionally I will keep a few for cutbait for stripers or catfish later on in the summer.
    catfish_hunter, dbeam, and RouseD like this.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

thanks for the answers I guess I am trying to think it out too hard.

Darrell
    Scott Hobbs likes this.

Red X Angler

Yep, don't overthink it, pretend you are chasing a crappie on a jig. Sometimes they are in the top of the water colum and you cast and slowly wind it back in and wait for the hit. Other times the fish are deep so, you cast and let the baits sink some and then slowly wind back in just fast enough to keep it off the bottom. Most places will have some good flooded river currents so its pretty easy fishing.
    catfish_hunter, dbeam, and RouseD like this.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

I am looking forward to giving it a try, I am keeping my fingers crossed for the shad run to still be going on when I come down for he Kinston M&G.
    I have heard that the stripers follow behind the shad, should I carry some bigger baits and heavier rod in case?
    Should I carry my trout net with me?

Darrell
    Scott Hobbs likes this.

Red X Angler

The timing is about right and the bite should be hot. Don't think you will need a net to land a shad. Stripers do run behind the shad and should be there at the same time frame as the Meet and Greet. You have to figure how much time you have to fish and how much to devote to the meeting. If I only had a few hours to chase shad then I wouldn't worry about trying for stripers. Some stripers are caught on shad spoons.

If you are fishing an area with lots of others then I'd just shad fish. If you are in an area with limited others then you can cast out lures or bottom fish. Baits for bottom fishing are large minnows or big cuts of shad that you just caught. Put it out just like catfishing and wait for the bite.
    catfish_hunter, and dbeam like this.

Darrell, I usually use a rod that is from ultra lite, to medium lite to catch shad with. If you do happen to hang a striper, you'd most likely need the heaviest of those. Scott may have a different answer for you that is better than mine. Justr guessing, I would say most people would use either a lite to medium lite rod, but you'll see it all. A net may be handy, but most people a re able to land a shad without a net, especially when fishing from the bank. Once in a while, you'll get a large hickroy, or an american shad, and a striper isn't out of the question. I have never caught a striper while shad fishing, but that could be just bad luck. A heavier rod would be nice if you wanted to set a rod for catfish, and use a cut up shad for bait. Hope this helps, and hope there is more input.
    catfish_hunter, dbeam, and Scott Hobbs like this.

RED X ANGLER

Thanks Scott.

Darrell may go with me one day in my boat, before the M&G. Maybe Darell will get the bad shad ju ju off my boat.
    dbeam, and Scott Hobbs like this.

RED X ANGLER

Default Re: Shad 101

I usually have to fish deeper early in the season, moving up in the water column as the weather warms.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2
    dbeam, and RouseD like this.

Don't sweat the small stuff!

Hey, Does anyone know if now or on a warmer day would be a good time to give the shad a try on the Tar River, I will be fishing off of port terminal in Greenville, NC and was wondering if it was a good idea or not.

Thanks in advance!
    dbeam, and Scott Hobbs like this.

Always good to give it a shot, maybe a new "honey hole".
    dbeam, Deckape, and RouseD like this.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast