Shad 101 - Page 5
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Shad 101

Default Re: Shad 101

That's right. You can't catch anything unless you have a line in the water. Let us know how it goes!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    dbeam, RouseD, and Scott Hobbs like this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm not positive but I bet the tar is super high right now... the banks are over flowing in the Roanoke here in williamston. I was going to give it a shot untill i noticed the 2 feet of water over the road.
    dbeam, and Scott Hobbs like this.

I use 2 curly tail grubs 95 percent of the time with usually a 1/8th oz on bottom and 1/16 on top....depending on flow u may need 2 1/8th ozer's or 2 1/16 ozer's. I normarly start off with 2 colors and then after seeing what color thay hit the best I then go to all of one color. If you are not getting hung up alot u usually will not catch alot . so rerigging happens alot. sometimes they want retrive high anf fast but slow and deep is usually the best. I stay away from shad darts as I have never seen where they will out fish these pink and white grubs. plus they are expensive. I have seen spoon catch more at times but not a lot. THE grubs are the pink headed ones on the right in the middle. Walmart has them cheap.

Click image for larger version.

Name:	shadlures1.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	48483

Mowhawk pack , coleman scanoe, OT 158, 2 OT 119's,
    1232 Jon Boat, Wilderness Systems ATAK 140, Ascend 12T

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

So go ahead an stockup on shad tackle, it won't be long an it will all be gone off the shelf.
    dbeam, and RouseD like this.

Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

I am good in Hickory not much of a rush on shad baits up this way, but the same stuff will work well for white perch and coontails.

I am planning on getting down there to fish with Dennis on Friday, then maybe Sat. morning till 10 or so. Sat. afternoon depending on how the fishing goes Sat. morning. If crowds, conditions, and the shad are good I might put a chunk of shad on the bottom with a circle hook and let it set in the rod holder with a loose drag. I have never caught a saltwater striper (excuse me rockfish) either. Looking forward to the trip with or without fish.

Darrell
    RouseD, and Scott Hobbs like this.

Red X Angler

Stop in at the store on your way by and we'll make sure you have some shad gear.... I usually work from 7am till 3Pm on Friday.

You gonna do any fly fishing for shad? If so I;ll set you up with a few shad flies that I use.
    dbeam likes this.

dbeam, be advised that shad are like snipe, they do not exist and it is a ploy to lure unsuspecting hillbillies down east to rob us of our cash and dignity. Get used to the phrase " you should have been here last week". All bitterness aside, scott, save me some of the good stuff, I'm trying to wrangle a trip to Raleigh to visit my brother ( free place to stay) then mosey down to look at some tackle.

Red X angler

Thats right, so "yall come on down". Don't forget the paper bag just in came we need to have a "snipe hunt". It is the season for them and the limits are liberal and I understand that they are pretty tasty.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Thanks, Scott I think I am good on baits. I will be using a spinning rig, but I have tied some baits similar to the ones in your post I just put them on 1/16 and 1/8 jig heads.

I do want to get back to see you and the store again, I stopped in last summer and went into lure shock, I still can't comprehend how there can be that much stuff in one place. Maybe on the way back.

Darrell
    RouseD, and Scott Hobbs like this.

Red X Angler

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Tom, It won't be my first snipe hunt, with the way the fishing has been lately I am beginning to think that Lake Hickory has been taken over by snipes. But if you ever won't put on a sinking line and tie up some big white streamers I would be happy to take you out to give the stripers a try.

Darrell
    RouseD, Scott Hobbs, and slickrocktom like this.

Red X Angler

It's been years since I've caught any, but we would cook them low 200Degrees and slow about 2.5 hours to get the bones to melt. has anyone tried the low / slow method?

Quote Originally Posted by sgrfmde452 View Post
    It's been years since I've caught any, but we would cook them low 200Degrees and slow about 2.5 hours to get the bones to melt. has anyone tried the low / slow method?
    My father-in-law used to do the low and slow bake. Not bad w/ taters & onions. Every time I tried it fish was too dry.

I prefer mine fried. Dry fresh filet. Salt with sea salt, coat with coarse ground black pepper. No drudge. No corn meal or flour.

After about 10 minutes, remove excess water w/ paper towel, and place filet face down in very hot oil. Fry until brown and crisp, turn for just a second, and serve.

The bones don't bother me. I figure folks who don't like fish with bones probably ought to stay with chicken.

Go on down and get you some of these. If the shad are hitting good, I don't even worry about the striper. I agree with what everyone else is saying though. Be on the lookout for what others are using. Different days and different conditions can some times mean different baits. As I said earlier though, I like the white grub and pink lead head.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_20120302_101436.jpg‎
Views:	133
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	48498
    2840-FISH, dbeam, RouseD, and Scott Hobbs like this.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

Gettin about that time "yall" lol,, i love this time of year, shad and stripers and more shad!!! Whats going on C89, i notice the stamp on your pic today huh, thats great! i thought about riding back home goldsboro this weekend and at least wettin a line to see if their there yet..Just gettin antsy i guess... you catch that one up your way or closer to goldsboro/k town area? and scott i'm sure we'll stop in for something, we got a stock of pets, but sure we can find some reason to buy something else

BORN 2 FISH...forced to work!!

Haha that picture is from last year. Its off the cell. It was on the Neuse b/t Goldsboro and Kinston. Haven't had a chance to go down yet this year but I am getting the itch for sure.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast