Shad 101 - Page 7
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Shad 101

Stopped in for a while this afternoon at a place that FishinCary fell/slid in last year the cut by the store. The water is high and I figured they would be headed up the cut but no dice. Gotta hit the mouth of the creek next trip, weather permitting.
    dbeam, and FishinCary like this.

Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Gave it a try at Kinston in the AM for about 2 hrs yesterday, nada. Talked to the man I see fishing there the most for the last 4 years, and he hasn't caught his 1st yet. I am hearing reports of catches at Pitch Kettle, but not a lot yet. River level is high enough at Kisnton that bank fishing areas are limited, but still a lot of places to fish from. That will change when the shad start biting well.
    catfish_hunter, dbeam, and Scott Hobbs like this.

RED X ANGLER

tried it a lil bit ago on the roanoke... no shad but i did land 6 rock and a giant bowfin the 20 minutes i was there. The rivers dropped quite a bit but still very high. I had a few small bumps that could have been shad but the rock were on fire... all the fish were about 16-18 inches and were returned to the water to catch another day.
    2840-FISH, dbeam, and Scott Hobbs like this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by catfish_hunter View Post
    tried it a lil bit ago on the roanoke... no shad but i did land 6 rock and a giant bowfin the 20 minutes i was there. The rivers dropped quite a bit but still very high. I had a few small bumps that could have been shad but the rock were on fire... all the fish were about 16-18 inches and were returned to the water to catch another day.
    where on the roanoke are you fishing at?
    catfish_hunter, and Scott Hobbs like this.

Hobie Revo 13

if i told you that i'd have to kill you lol...

Does a lure have to be moving for a shad to hit. If I threw a double drop rig out in the river with a heavy sinker on the bottom and two lightweight grubs on the traces and just let it sit with the grubs swimming in the current would that work? I have heard of Sabiki rigs working very good for shad bit I think it is unlawful to use more than 2 hooks on a rig for shad.
    dbeam, and Scott Hobbs like this.

it might work but you'd most likely just be sitting there for a while with no action... why do you want to fish like this? never heard of the more than 2 hook idea...
    Scott Hobbs likes this.

I would like to fish like this because you could fish more than one rod this way. And lately I have just been going to the bank and casting and retrieving for like a half hour or more with no action. Thats not real entertaining either. I suppose one of the reason I love surf fishing is just standing around watching the rod tip while drinking a Pepsi.

Quote Originally Posted by roostertail24 View Post
    Does a lure have to be moving for a shad to hit. If I threw a double drop rig out in the river with a heavy sinker on the bottom and two lightweight grubs on the traces and just let it sit with the grubs swimming in the current would that work? I have heard of Sabiki rigs working very good for shad bit I think it is unlawful to use more than 2 hooks on a rig for shad.
    There is nothing in the law to state you can only use 2 lures on a rod. I've heard of others using a Sabiki rig, but I havent' tried it. The problem with putting one on the bottom is shad tend to run high in the water column at times and that would put your bait out of the zone.

When the shad really get here thick you can cast and catch them on with frequency. Right now its hit and miss, mostly miss. Shad come in out of the ocean and run up the river to spawn. So give them time to get there groove thing on...
    catfish_hunter, dbeam, Deckape, and RouseD like this.

Well Donald at Custom Marine told me he used to sell a lot of Sabiki rigs to some guys and then they stopped buying them because they were getting busted for having more than 2 lures on a line but if there is nothing to that law i'll try it myself but if there is a law like that it would sure be nice to hear about it before I try it.
    dbeam, RouseD, and Scott Hobbs like this.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Sabiki Rig, Alabama rig etc. are lawful in NC as well as 3-hook bottom rigs. even on Mountain Trout Waters it allows for the adding of dropper flies. No specific number given.

Darrell
    RouseD, and Scott Hobbs like this.

Red X Angler

I saw one!!!!!! That was yesterday, but did not get one hit. That was at Kinston. Only heard of one catch late on tuesday at the hwy 70 bridge. I keep hearing of a few catches at Pitch Kettle Creek area. The one I saw broke the surface 6 feet from me, and scared me.

RED X ANGLER

I guess it's time to keep the fishing pole in the car again. I work in Rocky Mount and can stop at Battle Park after work most days. I'm planning to visit Old Sparta tomorrow morning, I'll let yall know how it goes. My number 1 rule when shad fishing is that if I'm fishing alone I'm in the wrong spot...
    c.lane, dbeam, Deckape, and Scott Hobbs like this.

still no shad today I ran into a guy fishing that lost one right when it got up to the bank. I did manage to catch and release a few rock though s it wasn't a wasted trip. I ended up having to pull an old man out of the mud TWICE... it sure is wet and nasty around here

Shad are tearing it up in Goldsboro the past day or so. These fish had to pass thru Kinston to get there.
    dbeam, and hoff247 like this.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements