Stylus 790 SW

Product: Stylus 790 SW

Default Stylus 790 SW

Product Manufacturer: Olympus
    The Stylus 790 SW is packed with technology tailored for active people. The Shockproof, Waterproof, Freezeproof and Dustproof design means it's incredibly durable, but it's also sleek, stylish and available in five cool color options. The new Face Detection feature recognizes subjects' faces and automatically focuses and optimizes exposure for sharp, brilliant portraits. Whether you're playing volleyball at the beach, mountain biking or just hanging out at the pool, the Stylus 790 SW is a must-have vacation and party accessory.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1314
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	Olympus790.jpg‎
Views:	59
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	37691

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Price Paid: 255
    Recommended: yes
    Cons: Limited zoom; specialized battery; less-popular card format
    Pros: Waterproof, pocket-sized, waterproof, good pictures, and waterproof
    Took this camera out on yesterday's kayak outing. It fit very nicely in the pocket of my PFD. It's rated for 1 meter submersibility, even though they use the term "waterproof" -- haven't figured out that part yet. You can check out several of the pictures on my post from yesterday's outing -- note that several of those shots were cropped, resulting in "artificial zoom"... but that's one of the great things about having 7 megapixels to work with, it makes up somewhat for lack of optical zoom.

It's very light, very easy to operate. The scene-selection menu is menu-driven, which is a little slower than just spinning a dial to one of 20 icons, but on the other hand, it shows you a sample photo and if you pause another moment, a description of what this setting is there for (and sometimes how it works -- fast shutter, wide aperture, etc).

It uses XD cards instead of the more-popular and lower-priced SD cards, but I got a 1G card for about $25, so that wasn't too bad. And instead of AAA batteries, it has a lithium pack... I'm told on other forums that it will hold a charge nicely, and that you can get backup packs cheap on ebay, but I have neither run one down nor bought the backup.

So far so good
    Lefty

Recommended: yes
    Cons: Dial can change position easily
    Pros: Small, Waterproof, Shockproof
    I have owned one of these for a couple of years now and it has been a great camera. I've seen 7MP cameras with better picture quality but this camera still does a nice job. I've used the movie mode a few times which is pretty cool since, unlike several other digital cameras, it actually records sound as well. It fits in my pocket nicely and is very convenient to take fishing. Being waterproof and shock resistant was the main reason I chose this camera. I haven't tested the shock proof yet but I have had it completely soaked on several occasions (with both fresh and saltwater) with no negative effects. The only complaint I have is the mode dial on the back of the camera can easily and unknowingly get moved. I was trout fishing up in the mountains one day when a mink ran accross the river and stopped about 5 feet from me and stood up on it's hind legs. I slowly reached in my back pocket, pulled out my camera, and turned it on. When I pressed the "shutter" button, the camera did nothing. The mink ran off as I was realizing the dial had changed positions. The dial is the only complaint I have about the camera and it's a minor one but it did cost me a great photo.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements