Extreme Spinning Reel

Product: Extreme Spinning Reel

Blog Entries

Default Extreme Spinning Reel

Product Manufacturer: Bass Pro Shops
    Mid-range Bass Pro spinning reel. Usually available in the $40-$50 range.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	bps_extreme.jpg‎
Views:	81
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	37726

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Blog Entries

Price Paid: 39
    Recommended: no
    Cons: heavy, fragile
    Pros: pretty
    This is a review for an older model (green, circa 2001/2). 3000 size. The way BPS OEM's reels may mean that the one I used has no relationship to the current models. Just wanted to share my experiences and feelings on lower cost BPS material.

I used it a little in freshwater - found it to be heavier than I cared for. I took it along to the beach and used it 1 time in the salt (I did wade and it did get wet). It was frozen solid by the time I got back to the beach house - would not crank. I opened it up and rinsed it out there but had to wait until I got home to work on it. I took it completely apart, cleaned it out, greased & oiled and it never did work right again. Something had warped or bent inside and it would not spin without a strong rubbing. Could not figure it out and didn't bother to send it back. Just took the loss and the lesson.

Have bought lower-end Shimanos since with great results for the price, and added a Penn SSG this year for the salt.

Price Paid: 49.99
    Recommended: no
    Cons: locks up quickly; not for saltwater; high maintenance
    Pros: smooth operation; casts well; inexpensive
    NOTE: i'm reviewing the new model version that has the wide spool and compact gear box -- designed to mimic US Reel spinning reels, i think.

great reel when new, and a decent spinning reel for freshwater use. super smooth and casts great at first, but reel quickly starts to lock up if immersed (in my experience, even in freshwater -- but certainly in salt). happens more than i'd like since i use it when kayak fishing and my reels get pretty exposed. once the reel gets too wet (sometimes even from rinsing off), it requires that i tear the reel down completely, rinse all parts, re-grease/oil everything. then usually the reel works fine, assuming i'm able to tear it down quickly. so i find the reel requires a lot of maintenance, and it's not built well enough to be torn down and reassembled routinely. for example, one of the female screw holes literal broke on the reel body on reassembly, even though i'm always careful not to over-torque the screws.

good reel while it's new and pampered, but too fragile for me -- will not likely buy another one.

i think i *would* recommend it for freshwater use with important qualifications, esp. if you can get the reel at a significant discount -- i think BPS often has the reel on sale for $39.99 or less. the reel does work great when it works great.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements