Horny Toad

Product: Horny Toad

Blog Entries

Default Horny Toad

Product Manufacturer: Zoom
    Soft plastic buzzing topwater frog bait. Does not float. Heavy enough to fish weightless. 5 per pack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	ZF-BK_JPG.jpg‎
Views:	71
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	37727 Click image for larger version.

Name:	ZF-BK-1_JPG.jpg‎
Views:	54
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	37728

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Blog Entries

Price Paid: 3
    Recommended: yes
    Cons: Gets torn up while catching fish!
    Pros: Catches fish! Goes anywhere
    I had bought a few buzzbaits but rarely used them and never even got a sniff of a fish with them. Read about folks in Florida wearing them out on Horny Toads in the everglades back in 2003 or 04 and decided to try them here in NC. They Rock! I've caught fish on them in most every way imaginable. Boiling just under surface, on a steady buzz, as fast as I could reel, twitching across matted vegetation, dropping down structure (like a jig). I've used the basic colors - white, black, green pumpkin, june bug, watermelon candy. Have caught fish on all of them.

I like to tear the feet just a little bit (1/16th inch) to get more flapping/buzzing action.

The best hooks I've found are the Lunker City Texposers in 5/0 - the hook point goes all the way back between the legs and into the back of the frog - not through the bait. Gamagatsu 4/0s are good as are the horny toad hooks (60 degree angle bend, straight shank, wide gaps with the hitchhiker screw in front).

If you don't use / don't like buzzbaits you should try these. They'll go into places where even buzzbaits can't and they provide extra flexibility. I've heard of folks rigging them as jig trailers.

The improvement I'd like to see is some kind of superplastic or nose cone that would keep you from tearing them up so bad. The hitchhikers do a better job of not losing baits while fighting fish, but they still wear the bait out pretty well after a few riggings.

Price Paid: 4
    Cons: no bulk packs offered, would like to see various sizes too. Weighted and maybe some w/ rattles would be cool.
    Pros: versatility of styles to fish, major pro!
    I'm w/ JeffNC on these babies. They're awesome. I like taking an apart a nice 3/4 or 1/2 oz rooster tail and using the body as a weight by working it up in the belly slit, threading my line through it if I can. The method for my madness here is having a centralized weight in the body of the plastic, which makes a great little slap on those pads and it doesn't make it too difficult to move it over top of them too much. I'll use a plastic bead texas rigged on the nose of the plastic to protect the tear up a little. When the pads are real thick I'll walk the product to the edges of the weed beds as much as possible, making little splashings here and there, then occasionally dropping the bait into the depths and being ready for a smack. My experience has been is that the biggun's watch the thing, waiting for it to make the mistake of going deep. When it does, that's when she's a gonner. SwimBaits work great for this application as well. I like using as heavy a braid as I can find for this application or super strong 100% fluoro. Makes for great castability and durability as well.

I'll take an extra long shanked hook like a 0/5 off shanked worm hook and actually trailer it w/ a small treble hook w/ the tips in the legs and the worm hook in the rear of the body if I start missing the bites.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Pros: Easy to fish
    I have used these for the past two years with much success. I throw them with a 4/0 or 5/0 EWG hook. Usually fish them around exposed stumps and stumps below the surface. I prefer to reel just fast enough to keep the bait on top of the water. I have used various colors with success but the most successful has been the green pumpkin.

Price Paid: 5.01
    Cons: cant think of one
    Pros: easy to fish and bass love em
    ohhhh man i love these frogs they are probably one of the best top water baits i have ever fished and bass love em.. i like the pumpkin colored ones too or the pearl whites.. ZOOM ZOOM

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements