308x Spinning Reel

Product: 308x Spinning Reel

Blog Entries

Default 308x Spinning Reel

Product Manufacturer: Mitchell
    Lightweight freshwater spinning reel. Holds 160yds of 6lb test. 5 bearings, Instant Anti-Reverse
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	mi308x.JPG‎
Views:	74
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	37732

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Blog Entries

Price Paid: 39
    Recommended: no
    Cons: handle
    Pros: smooth & pretty
    Nice smooth little reel with a great solid feel. I'm using 3lb diam/10lb test braid on it.

Handle is a weak point. I don't like the 3 piece design (axle, handle, screw) to begin with. Then I accidentally folded mine in the back seat of the truck and the handle piece popped in half at the axle. They don't sell just the handle so I had to buy the whole 3 piece replacement part (for about half the cost of a new reel). I did it, but only because I really like the way the reel feels.

(added 5/27/2007) Read some other reviews on another site and the handle came up as an issue more than once with the x and xg (gold) models. Mixed reviews out there on the reel as a whole. Its still a solid working reel for me, so I'm leaving my score as-is.

(added 5/2/2008) Reel started grabbing intermittently. Disassembled and found a piece of loose paper inside, on the worm gear. Re-lubricated and put it back together. If it holds up and loses the grab I'll keep the '7' rating, otherwise it'll drop a notch as it should hold up better than this given the usage.

(added 5/29/2008) the disassemble, clean and reassemble lasted about 3 trips before it started locking up again. I think too much play in the pin & worm gear, but not sure. Anyway, at the rate I fish it, it probably should have lasted longer than it did. They now make a 308ex, not sure if its the same or if parts are shareable. My $19 shimano AXs & FXs may not be as smooth or have as much metal (=lighter!), but they've lasted longer. Dropping my rating to '6' and switching my vote to 'no'. Hasn't been a value for me.

Recommended: yes
    Cons: Made with lighter materials
    Pros: Great Heritage
    The reason I didn't pay for it is that I happen to have an old one of these 308's made in France. It wasn't as fancy looking with the shinny spool, but the handle has always been a screw in for reversing hands. It was hard to beat back then, and it does have a good feel, nice smooth retrieve, and will serve you for many years. I would recommend it. Plus, it is economical. I mean you could pay 70-100 bucks for a Shimano, but most folks just don't want or need to spend that kinda money. Good purchase.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements