Scorpion 1000 Casting Reel

Product: Scorpion 1000 Casting Reel

Blog Entries

Default Scorpion 1000 Casting Reel

Product Manufacturer: Shimano
    Japanese market reel. Similar to the (older model) Curados, with the addition of the upgraded spool & external cast control (fits somewhere between Curado and Chronarch, but not available in U.S. retail market). Same size as the Curado 100. Available for order in the U.S. through a number of importers.

Aluminum body
    Line capacity = 8/110, 12/90
    Gear Ratio = 6.2:1 (22 inches per turn)
    Weight 8.1 oz.
    5 bearings
    Internal brake adjust
    External brake adjust (4x4 SVS)
    Titanium coated SIC line guide,
    Titanium Coated Duralumin Spool
    SuperFree Perforated spool (reduced weight = reduced inertia)
    Dark Maroon color
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	picScorp02.jpg‎
Views:	54
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	37734 Click image for larger version.

Name:	picScorp03.jpg‎
Views:	52
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	37735
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Blog Entries

Price Paid: 160
    Recommended: yes
    Cons: handle is a little short
    Pros: high-end components, super smooth, adjustability, casting distance, handles lighter lures
    This was my splurge a couple years ago. AWESOME reel. The Curado is often cited as the tipping point on value (price vs function) in the american retail market, but the Scorpion adds the key elements that the Curado was missing at a reasonable uptick in price.

Mag coated Superfree Spool spins forever, right out of the box. Has 3 internal breaks and 4 external break settings. I've turned one of them off inside and have the outside all the way off for general bassing (1/4-3/4 oz baits. Tweak the outside depending on how heavy a lure I'm using. Superb pitching reel.

Unequaled among baitcasters for throwing light baits. Side cover opens without screws for internal brake adjust. I Turned off all the internal breaks today and was flinging a 1/8 oz yo-zuri minnow bait as far as I could throw a 3/8oz trap on my normal settings. Hadn't played with that in a couple years but its pretty cool to have that much flexibility on the water.

I've been using Fireline Stealth 8/30 - limpest, least memory line I've found.

Salt is a no-no for the magnesium components. Handle is nice, but a little on the short end. Seems that lots of folks upgrade to the full sized handle. Scorpion 1000 is the small form factor, like the Curado 100 - may feel too small for some folks.

Recommended: yes
    After this review, I intend to buy this reel within the year. The scorpion is legendary amongst small stream anglers because it can throw extremely small lures. Folks have been raving about it for the last 6 years or so when is was not available state side. I thought it was hype, but your review is almost identical to what they say..... there must be something to it. Plus having met you, I trust your opinion. I bought the curado 100 many years back and it throws down to 1/8 oz jigs and cranks, but not as effectively as theses are purported to.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements