Ambassadeur 5500C3

12K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  dthollom 
#1 ·
Bearings: 2BB + 1RB Gear Ratio: 5.3:1
Line Capacity: 205yds/12lb

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Great reel used one for dragging in Steelhead out in Idaho during my Steelheading years (college). It was my first caster and took about five cast to figure it out and in the last four years can't remember a getting a rats nest in it. Had it on a 7'6" Shimano rod and could cast it a mile with pin point accuracy, used it for surf fishing also before my surf rods. Great Reel I would pick up another one in a heart beat.

#5 ·
I have an older version I bought in 1999. I have use the FOOL out of this reel. I have it mated with a 7' medium action Ugly Stik (another great product). This is by FAR my favorite rod and reel.

I've caught big bass, catfish, redfish, stingrays, small sharks, tons and tons of whiting, croaker, black drum, gar, you name it.

Even after nearly a decade of use and abuse, it works great. I've only had it professionally cleaned and serviced once (I needed to replace a part I lost and had them do a good lube on it).

If you want a GREAT all-purpose reel that lasts eons and casts great, this is your baby.

#6 ·
Extremely easy to adjust for casting without backlash (or without many anyway). Handles braid well. Pretty decent for a light trolling reel with braid - good with crankbaits.

I have two in the left hand retrieve style since I use mainly spinning gear. I have them matched with medium action Ugly Sticks and really like them for trolling and casting lures in the one ounce range. Handles striper well while still being fun on the smaller ones and large mouth bass.

If you are going to use them more for trolling, move up to the models with clickers, otherwise they are hard to beat for light salt or medium freshwater.

#7 ·
The 5500 was my first, and currently my only baitcaster. It is a great all around workhorse of a reel. It has everything you need without the unneccessary frills of many modern low-profile models. Once you are comfortable with casting various lure weights, you will never look back. I use it for both freshwater and light saltwater purposes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.