Fireline

Product: Fireline

Default Fireline

Product Manufacturer: Berkeley
    The smooth handling superline. Advanced technology FireLine is now 20 percent stronger than before. This thermal filament casts more easily, ties better knots, and stays more hassle-free than conventional braids. Along with exceptional strength, FireLine delivers ultimate sensitivity for instant feel, and the ultrathin diameter provides low visibility and incredible lure action.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	Fireline.jpg‎
Views:	100
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	37915

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Price Paid: 13
    Recommended: yes
    Cons: "smoke" color is fading after half-dozen outings
    Haven't used it long, but I like it in general. This was one of the first two spools that I filled with braided line. My first impressions are consistent with pretty much any braided line -- its strength-to-diameter ratio is much higher than mono, it stretches less, it's more durable, it's harder to tie.

I like to use a mono leader, so that if my lure gets hung up, I can break off the mono and not lose x-number of feet of my main line. This way my spool's not half empty every couple of outings. I've used a surgeon's knot for the leader once or twice, but it has slipped on me a couple of times. A uni-to-uni is a much more reliable knot for this line.

I have started to notice that the "smoke" color seems to be coming off the part of the line that gets worked out... I'm not uptight about it, since my mono leader is what gets seen most, but I thought it an interesting observation.

Blog Entries

Price Paid: 15
    Cons: color fade
    Pros: diameter vs strength, rigidity
    I'll give original fireline an 8. At first I thought it was too stiff, so I tried a couple of the other braids that were much wispier. Can't say I've been any more happy with them as the wispier braid tends to get itself wrapped around the eyelets more than stiffer braids.

I will say that a little Reel Magic makes all the difference in the world to the noise and casting distance.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Price Paid: 14
    Cons: knot tying
    Pros: line strength, castability
    I've been using Fireline for several years now. Started out with the "yellow" line and really liked it. It casts smoothly and enables me to cast further. Just bought a new spool of the "Smoke" color. It seems a bit stiffer than I remember the yellow being and I had several incedents of minor tangleing on the reel in my first dozen casts, but seems ok once it got "seated" on the reel good. I like to use a small swivel to attach a mono leader that will break off rather than use up the Fireline for breakages.

ghost

Price Paid: 12
    Cons: have to tie different knots , .. cost
    Pros: strong , no stretch= sensitive
    I got a good deal for two boxes of "fireline crystal" off e-bay. I like'd it while using it for bassfishing in low light or muddy water.
    My only other fishing (with the 20lb) was vertical jigging in 10-25' fow in a cloudier Illinois river, and it's great for that.
    I think i'll take Lefty's UNI-Knot advice to the flouro-carbon lead...

Price Paid: 5.00
    Recommended: Yes
    Cons: Price
    Pros: Casts great, smooth, doesn't fray
    Bought a spool of 8# smoke Fireline off a clearance rack. I spooled it on my spinning setup that I use for soft plastics and small panfish sized lures. It simply casts better than ANY other braid I've ever tried.

I love that it feels more like mono or fluoro and not like some soft frayed sewing thread like many other braids. I hate it when a hook can pierce and get stuck in braided line. I hate dealing with frayed ends. Fireline does neither. I can cast this line farther than any other line I've ever used. Very good strength to diameter ratio.

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements