Phoenix 160

Product: Phoenix 160

Default Phoenix 160

Product Manufacturer: Hurricane Aquasports
    The Phoenix 160 is the choice for fishermen, divers or those seeking ultra performance in a sit-on-top. The Phoenix 160 performs exceptionally well in unfavorable conditions, allowing you to confidently wander further offshore. Its efficient hull is subtly rockered with a slightly upswept bow to offer an ideal combination of tracking, speed and dryness. A full-size bow hatch and generous stern recess offer plenty of storage. Available options include rudder and fishing package
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0560.JPG‎ 
Views:	97 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	37999  

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Recommended: yes
    Cons: Not a beginners boat
    Pros: Fast, handles rough water very well, quiet, built in UV protectant gives it a 20 year fade time
    I finally got my hands on the Phoenix 160 by Hurricane Kayaks. This is the best kayak I have ever put in the water. Period.

At 15'10" and 55lbs this kayak has more touring lines than other fishing kayaks.

The part of this kayak that distinguishes it from other kayaks are the softer chines. This kayak has a lot more action from side to side (less initial stability) than other kayak which helps it when edging but does not give up secondary stability. I could lean hard to my side and bury the rail underwater and still not feel like the kayak was going to slip out from underneath me. It also seems to create a bigger buoyancy footprint in the water and allowed me to slide easily over 3 inches of water.

The kayak paddles noticably faster and it really shines in windy weather as we had this weekend. I tested out the glide (without the rudder deployed) and it held it's course for 10 to 18 seconds before stopping or straying. Those times were the shortest and longest out of ten tries.

The console is very comfortable. I like it because I don't put rod holders in front of me and I sit side saddle A LOT. The hump in the center kept me even with the rail so that I did not feel that I was slouched over. The flat rails also was very comfortable against my legs and did not cut into them. I didn't lose any feeling or feel that the blood was being cut off to them as in some other kayaks.

The kayak uses the Venturi system which I have been a huge opponent of in the past. I like a side of mashed potatos when I eat my crow. The system works and it works VERY well. When in motion it will draw any water out of the footwell by creating a suction. That is, if you have any water in the footwell. The kayak is a completely dry ride with me and my gear aboard. You can feel a difference in drag and noise with this system versus regular scuppers.

Recommended: yes
    Druminator,

I’m new to NC Angler and am looking at kayak fishing as a sensible alternative to getting a boat and paying $$$ for gas. Last Thursday, I went to Crabtree Lake in Raleigh and looked at some SOTs and have been doing some research. Saturday, I went to GOPC in Greenville and looked at the Phoenix. I also went to Wake Forest and paddled a Manta Ray 14. It felt pretty good to me and I even stood up in it to check stability. I didn’t get a chance to float the Phoenix (sort of a spur of the moment trip), but it looked pretty nice. A lot more rounded contours than other boats and I don’t know if that is a + or – when you are looking at places to sink rod holders and other gear. Your comment about it being a dry ride was interesting. When I was looking at it, it seemed not as high or as deep inside and I thought it could take on more water than the Manta Ray. Also, it appears that it may cost more to get into with no seat and other “goodies” included. The Manta Ray comes with the seat (pretty comfortable) and the folks at Paddle Creek are throwing in a free paddle.

Since I am new to the sport, but have spent tons of time in canoes, I wanted to get your thoughts. Weight is not that big of an issue as I have a trailer I can modify to carry kayaks and gear. I am primarily interested in salt water fishing and could see myself going a mile or two off shore at times. I had to go to Charlotte airport to pick up one of my daughters yesterday and made a stop at Bass Pro. They are not much into kayaking, but I did pick up some safety basics: PFD, VHF, and a couple of rods on sale. I’m a member of the Raleigh Sail and Power Squadron and have taken several classes to bring me up speed.

Thanks.
    john

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements