JP-3

Product: JP-3

Default JP-3

Product Manufacturer: WileyX
    WileyX makes a broad range of eyewear for a broad range of applications, including motorcycle riding, shooting, and military/public safety.

The JP-3 was discontinued near the end of 2007, early 2008.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	WileyX.gif‎
Views:	101
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	38007

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Price Paid: 10
    Recommended: yes
    Pros: Built-in strap (removable)
    April 5, 2008: I've worn them for about a month now. They're comfortable - nothing to write home about, but for the closeout price I got, very much worth it. The optics seem good, better than the anonymous glasses I had before. These are brown/amber tint, which seems to allow more light than the gray lenses I had before, but they've proven adequate even in bright daylight.

They come with a foam gasket, making them semi-goggles (funny, I wanted to put two o's into that word...) At first I removed them, then reinserted them after I realized a tendency for the lenses to sit a little close to my eyes.

May 30, 2008: Downgraded my rating - I bought two pairs of these glasses at this bargain price; lately I've been using one, with the strap, on my kayak, and the other without the strap for daily use. So far both of them have developed a problem that the rubber cover at the end of the temple tends to come off the harder-plastic temple frame, when I remove the glasses. (My ears aren't THAT BIG to grab the glasses and hold THAT tight...)

I sent an email to Wiley-X's support, they suggested using "a glue for plastics" to secure the loose pieces. My first home-repair attempt used a general-purpose (including plastics) adhesive, that didn't work too well. For my second attempt i used an epoxy specifically marketed for repairing plastics -- that's held so far, but I haven't used the repaired pair long enough to tell for sure.

Especially at that price, they're still worthwhile. But I sure can't put myself into the "thrilled" category.

Price Paid: issued military
    Recommended: No
    Cons: A: the glasses fit too close the face (I know its to allow a seal) and it can be annoying B: the seal will always fall off and the more you sweat, the quicker they'll come off. C: Lenses will pop out when the frame gets twisted...then you look like a pirate (which is not a Con, but a Pro
    Pros: tough, good wind/dust protection, lenses dont scratch easy
    Take away: they are good for sand storms and they will always stay on with whatever you are doing. The frames do not break easily, they are tough glasses and work well under tough conditions for a couple months. I dont think I would ever pay full price for a pair from what I know about them now because Oakleys will do what Wileys except the oakleys wont fall apart. I wouldnt recommend them because I believe for the price you can get something that'll last longer.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements