* Instant access to channels 16 and 9
* 2-hour rapid charging cradle
* Includes a 10-hour LiON battery
* Manufacturer's limited 3-year warranty
* Submersible

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
An excellent radio -- very rugged, easy to use, sounds great for the situations I've used it in. In hindsight, I would have spent the extra $30 and gotten the FRS feature in the MHS-550 if I had the chance (my wife wanted SAME weather alerts NOW, instead of the old-fashioned weather radio -- so I couldn't wait to mail-order the 550.)

I've only had it on the water once, and that was on Jordan. In the 3-4 hours I was paddling, all I heard was a "radio check"... and the scanner resumed its scan before I could tell what channel the guy was on. So I need to make a habit of hitting a key to break the scan quickly if I'm ever going to want to reply to anybody.

The charger base has a good solid clip built in, so if you mount the base on your boat, you won't have much to worry about it falling out. It comes with a Li-Ion pack and a AA holder, and with an AC transformer and a straight DC power cord, both of which attach to the base, not the radio, so you'll always need the base. The base is a little large, but it's designed that way to accommodate the belt-clip and still wall-mount, so it's understandable.

#3 ·
Four years later... the battery latch has broken. I'd been storing it with the battery removed, so the latch was loose, and when the radio dropped, the latch broke. The three-year warranty is gone, so they want $60 to replace the little piece of plastic. They also refused to ship me the part and let me repair it myself -- apparently it's not as simple as replacing a watchband, which it looks like it should be.

Not sure if I'm going to have it repaired, or if I'll homebrew a solution, or what...

Reactions: Spider Crack
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.