Boca PT 4000

Product: Boca PT 4000

Blog Entries

Default Boca PT 4000

Product Manufacturer: Quantum
    Quantum's Boca PTs series spinning reels lead the way in both value and performance. These saltwater reels feature the famous TiMAG Salt bail system with a nickel-titanium bail wire and fail-proof magnetic trip, as well as our exclusive MAGLOK Continuous Anti-Reverse - the only magnetic clutch in the industry. The Boca PTs series includes 7 models from light inshore all the way to big-game offshore. Our Saltgard 6-layer corrosion protection finish means your Boca PTs reels will be looking good for years to come, no matter the environment.

Solid, one-piece aluminum frame and sidecover
    TiMAG® Salt bail system with magnetic bail trip
    Polymer/stainless PT bearing system (5 and 7 bearing models)
    MAGLOK™ magnetic Continuous Anti-Reverse™
    PT alloy face gear with machined brass pinion
    Twin-bearing supported multi-stack Magnum ceramic drag
    Saltgard™ 6-layer corrosion protection finish [more info]
    Forged aluminum, concave spool
    Solid one-piece screw-in handle
    Quantum Hot Sauce lubrication

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boca_sp_profile.jpg‎ 
Views:	75 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	38012  

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Blog Entries

Price Paid: 119
    Recommended: no
    Cons: Bail trips
    Pros: Smooth Drag, nice profile
    I was excited to try out the Quantum saltwater series of reels after having heard so many good things about their freshwater reels. I have been using it for over 2 years now & have been disappointed in some aspects of it & now finally have retired it from regular use.

Out of the box I had issues with the magnetic bail tripping - not every time, just on occasion. Thought it was my particular reel so I tried others, they all seem to do it. Seems it's when the bail is open in a certain spot in the rotation. I learned to "feel" for the spot and then move the bail a little further and it solved the problem but is one more thing to worry about that distracts from fishing. This does not happen except when making a fairly hard cast but I bought this reel to use for red fish & trout and often need to cast quite a distance from the boat so as not to spook the fish. I have no problem doing this with any other brand.

I continued to use the reel but put it on my inshore jigging rod so as not to have to cast it. The anti-reverse - also a magnetic clutch - went out this week. I thought those magnetic things weren't suppose to fail?!?

Experiment over. Back to my regular brands.

Price Paid: 109
    Recommended: yes
    Cons: heavy
    First of all, I've used the smaller version of this reel with a 9 foot creekside rod for the past season just for pier plugging. It seemed to work well out of the box. Spooled with 10lbs test flouro. it casts farther than most reels on the pier without too much effort going into the cast. However, it gets heavy after a while. It's very corrosion resistant even after I forgot to rinse it off when i got home from the pier. Overall I'd give it a thumbs up but it's still not a stunner for the price.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Price Paid: 119
    Recommended: no
    Cons: "Unbreakable" Ti-Mag bail breaks
    Pros: Smooth operation. Good drag.
    I've owned this reel for awhile now. The very first time I used it the line wrapped around the bail and put a groove in the plastic cap. I put a bit of epoxy over the groove and solved the problem. About a year later the Ti-Mag bail broke. Actually it was the bail wire that broke in half and I had not abused the reel. I called Quantum on the phone and they said the bail had a lifetime warranty and that they would turn around the repair quickly. My repair was not quick and I ended up having to argue with them to get it repaired under warranty. Since then the reel has performed well but I don't use it much anymore.

7. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements