Clarion 553L

Product: Clarion 553L

Default Clarion 553L

Product Manufacturer: Okuma
    This is a conventional type reel with a levelwind that I purchased as a switch-hitter for surf casting for sharks, headboat fishing for grouper, and pier fishing for kings/cobia/sharks.

I purchased it because of the price and relative reputation. I do not expect this reel to last as long as a Penn but it also cost considerably less and I will likely only use it a dozen times a year.

I mated it with a Tidewater 66 rod-- a fat beef stick for the headboats, but if I am going to use it for surf fishing I have a 14' medium-heavy rod I bought a few years ago that will work great.

The reel casts very nicely with the 14' rod, the clicker is NICE AND LOUD, but my only beef is that the handle is way too FAT for my short fingers and I think the drag could stand to be a good bit tighter for horsing groupers off the bottom.

This seems to be a great reel for $110. Here are the specs. The line capacity is OVERRATED trust me, but this is still a nice, big reel.

CLR-553L 4.2:1 2BB+1RB 680/25, 520/30, 440/40 Graphite frame/sideplates, Aluminum spool.

Comes with a brace for rod mounting and even clips for a fighting harness, but if you are fishing for things that require a fighting harness you might consider a bigger reel-- I'm not chasing marlin with this one for sure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	Okuma_combo.JPG‎
Views:	82
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	38013 Click image for larger version.

Name:	okuma_combo2.JPG‎
Views:	59
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	38014

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Price Paid: 110
    Recommended: yes
    Cons: Drag could be tighter, the handle knob is too fat for my fingers.
    Pros: Great price for the features-- levelwind, build quality (thus far), good casting reel.
    I would give it a 10 but I haven't yet put a hurting on this reel. Give me some time, let me hook some real bruisers on it and then I'll give it a 10 if it deserves it!

4. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements