Tournament LTD Baitcast Reel

Product: Tournament LTD Baitcast Reel

Default Tournament LTD Baitcast Reel

Product Manufacturer: Bass Pro Shops
    Reel has a low profile 1-piece graphite frame with machined-aluminum spool, Recurve Handle, 10-position magnetic braking system, 10 stainless steel bearing system, star drag, and instant anti-reverse.

BPS product numbers:
    TLTD10JH
    TLTD10HBL (left-handed).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	1576327_i-743282.jpg‎
Views:	78
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	38029

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Price Paid: 39.94
    Recommended: No
    Cons: cheap; BPS drag washers
    Pros: cheap; smooth; external controls; solid baitcaster; 6.3:1 ratio
    This is really just a preliminary review -- I bought one of these reels from BPS at Christmas 2009 (now 03/09), and haven't really given it a workout yet. But I noticed BPS has them on sale again, so thought it would be potentially useful to post a short review.

Reel feels great, operation is silky smooth, and it casts great (mine is spooled with 14lb Fireline braid). Recurve handle feels great, and handle spins with almost no effort. Right now drag is tight and star drag mechanism clicks as you adjust it -- I've come to prefer that little bit of information from that clicking as I adjust the drag, especially with a fish on. But my experience with BPS reels is that the drag washers need replacing after a season or two of use (when that time comes, I replace them with carbon fiber washers for just a few bucks).

So time will tell how well this reel holds up. But my initial impression is that it is a fine reel for basic freshwater use, and would make a great first baitcast reel, especially for the price.

[updated 7/2011]: pawl wore out, and would hang on the worm gear, causing line to pile up on one spot. was able to replace with the pawl from another old BPS reel, so reel is working again. confirms again, IMO, that this is a very lightly built and disposable reel.
    Last edited by Spider Crack; 03-24-2015 at 03:37 PM. Reason: correct typos

Recommended: yes
    I'll up date in a couple of weeks as well. I saw it for 39.99 last week in a BPS catalog and could not resist! Should be here in two days..... Now I am 39.99 away from the shimano scorpion I wanted......

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Recommended: no
    Cons: spool re-engagement after casting ir unreliable..... kind of importnant!
    Pros: Casts well
    Well, it took over a year to get to use this reel. The first cast was worth the wait, excellent! Accurate and as far as if not better than my Shimano Cruxis with very little adjusting out of the box! Even caught a nice little bass. However, that is all I can say positive!!!! At least 4 times, after making a cast, the spool would not re-engage! I tried adjusting the control knob, reeling fast slow, nothing until...... I banged it with my palm. Worked every time. Now to make matters worst..... I purchased this reel in March 2009, but never even took it out of the box until this past weekend.... I called in about 10 minutes ago and was told "well the warranty has expired" and that is the end of the story.

7. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements