Gill Net Charges Levied

Thread: Gill Net Charges Levied

Blog Entries

Exclamation Gill Net Charges Levied

MOREHEAD CITY N.C. Marine Patrol acted quickly Wednesday to cite the owners of a gill net left in the mud at low tide in the Newport River.

A N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries biologist received a call Wednesday morning informing him that someone had posted a video on YouTube that showed a large mesh gill net left in the mud at low tide with several species of fish, including red drum, black drum, bluefish and flounder.

The biologist told Marine Patrol officers, who investigated and found the net had been removed. But they were able to use the video to trace the net and charge the owner Wednesday afternoon.

Marine Patrol officer Mitch Stone cited Virginia Dare Fulcher Oglesby, of 740 Mill Point Lane, Morehead City with using a gill net without proper buoys or identification. The buoys on the net were not the right color and they were marked by outdated registration numbers.

Oglesby was also charged with leaving a gill net in coastal fishing waters when such devices contained edible species of fish unfit for human consumption.

The charges carry a fine of $35 and court costs of $110. Oglesby was scheduled for trial in Carteret County District Court Aug. 27.
    LiveBait likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Default Re: Gill Net Charges Levied

i can understand most of the charges for having the wrong color bouys and the out of date liscense number but why the part about edible species of fish unfit for human consumption. its not like he can help what kind of fish swim in the net.
    Greg Thompson
    US ARMED FORCES GROUP "Come Join Us"

Kudos to Capt Gordon!!!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by puppydrum48 View Post
    why the part about edible species of fish unfit for human consumption. its not like he can help what kind of fish swim in the net.
    When I read that, that sounded like a legal-ese clause for "you didn't check your net frequently enough to harvest your catch before it spoiled".

If he was fishing for inedible species, what was he using the gill net for? Doesn't sound like it'd be much fun... It seems like it'd be pretty damaging if he were trying to harvest species for aquariums...

That's just speculation though...
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
    the courage not to fib about it, and the wisdom to know that
    nobody would believe me anyway."

You would be correct Lefty. The net was left unattended and the fish died. It is possible that the officers asked to see the fish that was caught and may have gotten a story of they were thrown away thus no evidence. Either way the charge is for spoilage.
    Gery

i can understand most of the charges for having the wrong color bouys and the out of date liscense number but why the part about edible species of fish unfit for human consumption. its not like he can help what kind of fish swim in the net.
    If our state government was not so backward and probably corrupt we could have the net ban and would not have to worry what swims into a net...

Quote Originally Posted by ogrefish View Post
    If our state government was not so backward and probably corrupt we could have the net ban and would not have to worry what swims into a net...

well i dont know that i can agree with you on net banning because my family are commercial fisherman but i do believe that if it was left out for an extended period of time i guess i would have to agree with them
    Greg Thompson
    US ARMED FORCES GROUP "Come Join Us"

Blog Entries

The spoilage clause is meant to force fisherman to check their nets often. A gill net will "drown" a fish caught in it - so if the fish has been there dead long enough to spoil, a fine can be levied. In other words - when you kill fish, make good use of them, don't waste them.

Why are the fines and stuff so low? That is a slap on the wrist. The only way to make others do these things right they should step up the fines. Ya might now do it again if you had a fine of $500-1000. If we are gonna have the nets let's hit the ones who abuse em hard.
    The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

There could be more to this. If there is a mandortory court appearance to where you just can't pay the fine then the judge can act on this harder than what we are reading into it right now. For instance, there can be a fine for leaving a net unattended, and there could be a fine for improper equipment (wrong color buoys), and a fine for improper registration #'s and then there could also be a fine for each fish that was left to waste (replacement fee). If the officer just gave them a ticket for all these infractions that could be paid off for $145.00 then the guilty got by easy.
    Gery

I hope that's the case. It still needs to add up into 4 digits to make it where someone doesn't want to do it again.
    The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

well i dont know that i can agree with you on net banning because my family are commercial fisherman but i do believe that if it was left out for an extended period of time i guess i would have to agree with them
    We will have to agree that we disagree and leave it at that........mark

N&O Article about said subject:
    newsobserver.com | Net catch results in net waste

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements