NC Angler Forums banner

Flyrod Bream fishing on Hickory

10K views 73 replies 16 participants last post by  draggsxr1000 
#1 ·
Some of use were talking about fly fishing for bream on Hickory one day in June. http://www.ncangler.com/forums/threads/38377-Gonna-start-tying

If anyone wants to meet up and sling some foam bugs, I am good for June 9th. I was thinking Gunpowder landing would be the most yak friendly place to start out from. I can bring the boat and take someone without a boat out with me.

What do you think?? The landing will probably get to crowed on a Sat. afternoon in June for a cookout or anything after we get through fishing, but I am sure we could think of somewhere close to gather for a late lunch.

Darrell

#32 ·
I'm taking my new rooster fly. Not sure if the bream will be interested at Hickroy, but I will give it a try. Not good on getting pictures to my sick computer. I'll have to show it on June 9, if it does well there. So far, it has worked in just one place, but has done well there.

#36 ·
The best 3 topwater bugs I would recommend are (not in any specific order):
1. chartreuse sneaky pete
2. chartreuse sneakly pete
3. chartreuse sneaky pete
Seriously, l I have caught bream (redbreast, bluegill, green, pumpkinseed, warmouth, even a few shellcrackers (!) on this thing, in almost every lake on the Catawba chain from lake James all the way down to Santee Cooper and the cooper river below lake Moultrie. I learned about it from my uncle who had a fishing cabin down in Georgia on the Ogeechee River. Ironically, lakes Hickory and Fishing Creek are the only Catawba lakes that I have never wet a hook in, but bream everywhere from the mountains to the coast love this thing. I have even caught some big rainbows out of Calderwood lake on it as well. Accardo makes a bream master that is the same as a sneaky pete and usually costs less. Get the smallest ones you can find, or tie your own. They are easier to cast with a 5 weight and the legs make a pretty good size profile and the big bream love it. If they are looking but not hitting sometimes I will tie an 18" or so leader onto the hook bend and then tie on a black ant or spider and fish it like a dry with a dropper rig. The ant slowly sinking usually drives them crazy. I even catch my fair share of smallmouth and largemouth on it as well, and my biggest heartbreak from a giant largemouth came on this thing also. I don't profess to be a bass fisherman but I don't mind catching them :). Obviously it's my go-to lure when flyfishing topwater. I will start with it 99.9% of the time and only switch if I'm convinced that they aren't interested.
You guys have got my interest piqued on this trip. Wife and I are going to Givhans Ferry in SC on June 1st to fish the Edisto for redbreasts, so I might have honey-do's the weekend of the 9th, but if I can get caught up then I would love to join you. I usually fish out of a float tube or pontoon in the rivers so I would need a ride. Definitely good on contributing funds for gas. I don't want to commit to anything yet but will keep this one on the radar.
Greg

#34 ·
Dennis I am pretty new to the flyrod but spiders always get hits. White, yellow, and black being my favorite. I have tied some leggy creature with lead wrap and/or bead eyes that I may work under a strike indicator, or a bug foam bug.

Darrell

#35 ·
Darrell hopefully we will get more answers about good flies to use at lake Hickory, but the ones you've shown work for you, and should work well. I am going to try my rooster fly. Could be it will do nothing for Hickory Bream, but I may clean the lake out. LOL I will also take some of my floating foam bugs, as well as a couple of flies that tarheel fly flinger taught me to tie, and some ones that I bought from Charlie Cobb. I learned to fly fish and tie flies after I retired at age 62. My 1st year wasn't fly casting at all, but I still caught a few weak minded fish, Second year was much better, andd now, I am not great, but am not afraid for anyone to witness my cast. lol Don't know what it is about fly fishing, but I absolutely love it.

#38 ·
Thanks for the tip on the Sneaky Pete, the the Bream master Greg. I have been using a floating bug that tarheel fly flinger taught me to tie early on, and it has done great, but haven't tested it in lakes or other places yet. I have caught bream that were not wider than 2 of my fingers, and have caught some very large ones on it also. I've also caught an LMB that would have gone 3 1/2 lbs on that same bug, and have caught several other smaller ones on it. I will check into the Sneaky Pete, and the Bream Master, just in case my bug doesn't work, since I haven't tested my bug in other places.

#43 ·
I was hoping to make this one but was informed that I will be working this Saturday. Not that I'm a fly rodder but would have loved being out there with all of you and watching how its done. I know catching bream is alot of fun I can only imagine them being caught on the fly must be a blast. Look forward to the pics and to the report.

#46 ·
You bringing your son or the new poppa with James?

I guess the grandson will have to wait a year or two. Maybe 2015 we can do a repeat with crickets and redworms, only everybody will need a kid in the boat. Wings's son Samuel will be good to go by then, H's grandson I'll hopefully have Linda's grandson fishing by then, and probably a couple more I am not thinking of. If Dave would happen to bring his son he will be an old pro by then.

Darrell

#55 ·
here are the directions from the middle of the Catawba River Bridge on hwy 321.

1. Head northwest on US-321 N/Hickory Blvd toward Limbaugh Ln

0.5 mi

2. Turn right onto Grace Chapel Rd

2.9 mi

3. Turn left onto Hurricane Hill Rd

0.5 mi

4. Turn right to stay on Hurricane Hill Rd

0.4 mi

5. Take the 1st left toward Hurricane Hill Rd

82 ft

6. Turn left onto Hurricane Hill Rd

0.2 mi
Hurricane Hill Rd

The most confusing thing is turning from Hurricane Hill road onto Hurricane Hill rd at the triangle intersection

Darrell

#56 ·
Just thought I would say this was a fun trip. Not many fish were caught, but seeing friends is always a pleasure. I was doing some of my best fly casting, so it had to be slow. It was fun sing Guffey, and Echerd again. I think I heard Guffey say he had caught a dozen fish when I saw him, but they were small, and he was using a smaller hook than I. Not sure how Echerd did, but hope he and Guffew will come on and let us know. I was with dbeam in his boat. Thanks Darrell for a really nice time.

#58 ·
Dennis Echerd, and I hit the water Friday at the mill pond with limited results. I assured Rouse that Sat. on Hickory owuld bring lots of bream for sure. I should not have opened my mouth. We caught a few and had a really good time visiting.

Dennis gives the credit for his flyrod prowess to tarheelflyflinger for his stellar instructions in the art. All I can say is that Allen did a great job. No matter how modest Dennis may try to be don't buy into it.

Thanks to guffy for making the drive to fish with us, Echerd fished upcreek from Dennis and i so we were spared another round of sneak up on the boaters and blow your whistle. He has the reaction on video.

I am terrible with names but I think it was sgrfmde452 that showed up at the landing as we were leaving, nice to meet him as well. I had a graduation party to attend so I had to rush off.

Darrell

#59 ·
'Twas great to see everybody again and even better to break out the flyrods so I had a blast! I boated a dozen super small ones, mostly on a dinky cork popper with a dinky hook but a couple came on crappie jigs I had on my breambusters. The better part of them were on a bed I found maybe 200yrds from the lauch. James called it out right, they were little more than eyeballs on a tail and I couldn't tell you how small the hook was because I don't know anything about bug sizes, hooks, line weight and all that... In fact I'm just ecstatic that I even remembered how to cast the doggone rod:eek:

I can verify they are spawning since I spent the better part of today cleaning off...well, spawn. Every single one of them left a little love in the boat God bless them!

Kudos to Dennis on the great looking fly crafting, that was one purdy bug man! Also thanks James for the tip on straighting out the buzzbait wire, and thanks to Darrell for the Tips Tip;) If you guys head up there, stop at Boxcar Grill in Claremont (Exit 135)... Steak Tips + Mushroom Gravy = AWESOME!!!!

Darrell and Dennis breamin' away

Echerd with the buzzbait

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.