NC Angler Forums banner

Flyrod Bream fishing on Hickory

10K views 73 replies 16 participants last post by  draggsxr1000 
#1 ·
Some of use were talking about fly fishing for bream on Hickory one day in June. http://www.ncangler.com/forums/threads/38377-Gonna-start-tying

If anyone wants to meet up and sling some foam bugs, I am good for June 9th. I was thinking Gunpowder landing would be the most yak friendly place to start out from. I can bring the boat and take someone without a boat out with me.

What do you think?? The landing will probably get to crowed on a Sat. afternoon in June for a cookout or anything after we get through fishing, but I am sure we could think of somewhere close to gather for a late lunch.

Darrell

#60 ·
Well it was a fun filled fishing weekend.Had a great time out on the water Saturday morning with Dbeam, roused and guffy. We hit gunpowder early. First for me was the buzz bait. I had a few blowups, then a good solid fish in a lay down but came off. Then I broke out the long rod with a bass popper, no takers. Then the foam bugs. Had a few average bream. Thur a purple 8 in. curly tail on shakey head for awhile. Then back to the fly rod.

Always good to get out on the yak with good friends. Thanks guys. :thumbup:
Sorry guffy forgot your pic but everyone knows you. ;)

#61 ·
It was a fun trip for me, even though the larger fish were not all that cooperative. I was using a foam bug, tied on a size 8 hook. That was at least one size too large for the bream that were hitting. I must have had over 200 hits on each day, at the Old Mill Pond, and at Gunpowder landing. I finally saw why my fly worked so well. Scott Hobbs had told me he thought my foam bug was doing well because of all the line twist in the tippet. I had put up a thread on that a while back. For some reason I could see it in action in dbeam's boat. Could heve been that I was sitting a bit higher. My fly would twist and turn for about 30 seconds after it hit the water. I have caught numerous bream, and a few bass on this bug. I have caught some very large bream, for me, on this fly also. The twist comes from the legs I ties on the sides, I think, and from my false casting. I had to go from 4 lb tippet, to 6 lb tippet to help with this. Now I don't consider it a problem.
dbeam was worried about the not so good fishing on the M&G he started. No one should e3ver worry about that. Fishing with friends, and learning new waters is a lot of fun to me, no matter how ell the fish bite is. Thanks Darrel for a great time. It was a lot of fun seeing Echerd, and Guffey again also. I hope to do this again sometimes.

#62 ·
I am terrible with names but I think it was sgrfmde452 that showed up at the landing as we were leaving, nice to meet him as well. I had a graduation party to attend so I had to rush off.

Darrell
Darrel, I think this is right. If I remember correctly, he told me he was sugar from Delaware. He said it was supposed to be square from Delaware, but he got the q and u switched. I think he also said his name was Mack. Wish he could have fished at the same time as all of us, but he told me he had earlier commitments. I hope he tells us how he did after all of us left.

#71 ·
gillz, I did buy a couple of Sneaky Petes before I left home, but I already had one of my foam flies on my fly rod that I use most of the time. I got hundreds of hits on my foam bug, but I use a size 8 hook, and that was too large for the bream that was biting. I did manage to catch about 6 fish each day, but nothing large. Not sure if I had tried the Sneaky Pete, if it would have done better. Wish I had given the Sneaky Peter a chance though. The action on my foam bug was non stop, and I did not lose my bug in the 2 days I fished. I have other places at home that I will try them, and bought some heads, so I can tie my own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.