"Live" Bait-Definition

Thread: "Live" Bait-Definition

Question "Live" Bait-Definition

Can anybody tell me if using worms (catawba,nightcrawler) on a jug-line to catch catfish is illegal? I overhead someone say you can't use ANY type of live bait unless your using a rod/pole.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Default Re: "Live" Bait-Definition

There's nothing to that effect in the regulations. To the best of my knowledge live bait on Trot-lines and Set lines has always been acceptable. The only thing is that if you use Bluegill for bait they can only be taken on rod and reel and the size and bag limits apply for the water that you are fishing. However, you may call the WRC for the answer from the horse's mouth.
    kayakingglenn, and LiveBait like this.

On page 16 of the regs states that live bait is not allowed. IF IT ISN'T STILL WIGGLING IT IS NOT ALIVE. If you turn those catawba worms inside out, no court could convict you. Use half of a night crawler/ hook and your bait will go twice as far and nobody can question whether it was dead or alive when it went in the water. Pretty much if it's obvious that it was dead when you put it in the water no warden is gonna argue the issue.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks for the responses. I looked all through the regs but couldn't find anything that clearly defines "LIVE" bait and with my luck, I didn't want to chance it.

sinkerman is correct. i just reveiwed it again and this is from page 16 of 07-08 NC regs.

Using Trotlines and Set-hooks
    It is unlawful to use live bait with trotlines, set-hooks or jug-hooks.

Trotlines must be set parallel to the nearest shore in all public
    waters, where their use is authorized.

Each trotline and set-hook (except jug-hooks) shall have

attached the name and address of the user legibly inscribed

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements